scratched - idiot alert! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > scratched - idiot alert!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Matthew Davis
2007 JK Wrangler 

scratched - idiot alert!

Today I came back from muding and (since this was the second weekend in a row) I decided I would wash it. I cleaned it up good, including the windshield wipers. I opened the hood and cleaned up all the mud, closed the hood and noticed a small scratch blow the rubber 'windsheld nub' on the hood. I figured something must have come off the road. Then I see another one in the same place below the other nub! What the hell?! This is where the idiot part comes in... I had opened the hood while the windshield wipers were still extended off the windshield. They scratched the hood. DRAT!

Now I have to go mudding again so there will be something to cover the scratches.

Just a warning for others that might be idiotic like me.

-Matt

Matthew Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Davis
Today I came back from muding and (since this was the second weekend in a row) I decided I would wash it. I cleaned it up good, including the windshield wipers. I opened the hood and cleaned up all the mud, closed the hood and noticed a small scratch blow the rubber 'windsheld nub' on the hood. I figured something must have come off the road. Then I see another one in the same place below the other nub! What the hell?! This is where the idiot part comes in... I had opened the hood while the windshield wipers were still extended off the windshield. They scratched the hood. DRAT!

Now I have to go mudding again so there will be something to cover the scratches.

Just a warning for others that might be idiotic like me.

-Matt

Thats a bummer.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
dvzant

Get a tree brach and drag it across the hood. You can say you got the scratches from a tree on a trail.
dvzant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Ventura911

I did the same d@mn thing! Fortunately, the scratches were small and I was able to touch them up. I wish Jeep had wiper blades with plastic or rubber tips.

Thank God it's not a garage queen!
Ventura911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
luckyjeeper

if they are not too deep, look online about a multi step compounding for scratch removal. they usally come with several grits of sandpaper and different compounds. You start with a razor blade with a reverse burr, then move into wetsanding, then to compounds ending with a soft microfiber cloth and a polish with carnuba wax to finish.

Sorry to hear about it but as scary and time consuming as all that above sounds, it's really easy to do and can save you with many scratches you're sure to incur over the years!
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][B]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
luckyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #6
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Flame me up for this one, but if that were mine I would be found sobbing in the driveway and have to be admitted to the local mental health facility for evaluation, shock treatment, and heavy medication. I baby my JK, sorry but I am AR that way. I don't mind scratches on the YJ but the JK would cause me to run amuck if I found a scratch on it.
chico166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
2JK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing to my TJ a couple of years ago. I didn't kow you could do that to a JK. I guess I'll try it today so I have a matching pair.

JK
2JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
P35A
2007 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the club! Did the same to mine at one of those coin-op carwash places. Went to spray down the engine bay and underhood, bammo! Lifted the hood right on to the wipers. Luckily the scratches weren't bad, and since my JK is silver, a little handy work with touch up paint and a little wet sanding, it's as good as new.
P35A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

It happens to all of us at one time another. Don't feel bad.

Rgs, JLH
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
bigwrm

Thats sucks, but hey it adds character. I was at my buddies last night showing off my new rubi and his fat *** 30 pound cat jumped up on my hood with his muddy paws and then slowly slid off when I went after him.

I just got back from washing it and it doesnt look any scratches.... The cat can live.

And on a side note, I left the car wash and noticed a brand new Commander following me quite a ways. I stopped at a light and he rolled his window down.

Him: "Ill trade you this and 20k cash for your jeep right now!!!"

Me: "Haha, maybe 100K cash and 3 commanders"

Him: "You order that from the factory??"

Me: "Ya 140 days ago but whos counting??"

Him: "So you're sure??"

I yelled YUP and hammered it as the light turned green and smiled all the way home.
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.