Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Savvy JK Test Mule

105K views 294 replies 55 participants last post by  awinski 
#1 ·
So in August 2011 we pickup one of the first 2012 JKUs. I was sold the moment I got on the freeway. It has been used to test fit a bunch of new parts from Dynomax , Rancho, Currie and of course Savvy.

Now I can document it's life and am finally starting its build. Most everything we do you'll be able to order and install yourself.

These are some of the products that are going to be installed, Sorry for the small pix!

Savvy JK Under Armor
Savvy JK Bumpers
Savvy JK Tail Lights
Savvy/Currie 4" Suspension Front and Rear Antirocks
Currie F9 front axle with HP9 4.88 gears
Currie RockJock 60 Rear Axle 4.88 gears
Fox Racing 12" Reservoir Shocks
PSC hydro assist steering
Warn Winch
Viking Off Road Synthetic rope
Raceline RT233 Monster Bead locks
Falken 37" Wildpeak AT Tires
Dynomax exhaust and 2012 cross over pipe
Tom Wood drives shafts
AFE Air Intake Kit
Powertank 10lbs CO2 Bottle

The day I brought it home

Rancho put a 3" lift on to test their parts, I had some 35" Goodyears MTRs sitting around so they went on. Raceline RT233 Monsters of course!

See less See more
#108 ·
The winch will just fit on there. I'll make the changes with the fabricator and then we can start making them. The hardest part is making the nut strips for inside the frame rails.

The cutting off the flat plates took me less than 10 minutes. Then I drilled the 8 holes for the nut strips.

#109 ·
I've been driving the JK for the last week and am really impressed with the handling and performance.

The AFE air intake is a little loud under hard acceleration but not anything I can do about that as the PSC reservoir needed the space where the old air cleaner box was.

The Fox IFP remote reservoir shocks were a big surprise. I thought I was going to have to do a little valving but they are very nice right out of the box.

The Currie suspension is in a class by itself and needs nothing.

After driving with 4.88 gears I'm glad I didn't go any bigger as it would have suffered on the freeway. 80mph is around 3200rpm and I would not have liked any higher rpm for freeway driving. Performance is kick a$$ with 35's and I'm hoping the 37s will be as good. I have a feeling they will be as it shifts out of 1st gear quick.

#114 ·
Do you see any reason why You couldn't cut the grill for the winch and push the bumper back another couple inches? Assuming you use the front 3 bolts like you have pictured and cut the TJ swaybar tabs off that look like they are against the body mount.

#115 ·
If there is room back there I don't see why not. I don't have the stomach to cut my grill. You can push the bumper back as far as you like. Just have to cut the frame a little bit more. That would be a cool mod for DIYs. The TJ sway bar tabs are being deleted so you have plenty of room to push it back.

As it is this is not a bolt on kit. But, I think it just looks so much better. I also plan to put two holes in the front for the stock lights. I'll offer both versions.

#123 ·
We don't powder coat because of the issues we had shipping. Frankly we suck at boxing stuff up and I'd hate to send a perfectly nice powder coated bumper to anybody only to get there all dinged up. Then it would have to come back. You get the picture.

Powder coating is done in every city. Get a couple of quotes and you'll be much more satisfied with the color you pick. Plus if there are any defects you can take it right back to your shop. As you say shouldn't cost too much.

Thanks,

Gerald

#127 ·
Very true but a lot of people don't do they things we do. :D

A lot of our customers believe or not just like the looks of it. I'm all for that considering we build our stuff function over form. Most other bumper builders are form over function. I'm with you I would rather do a good prep and rattle can so I can touch it up. Even on the trail! :rofl:

#129 ·
I'll be doing just that after I make the skid that attaches to it. A lot of the Rubicon owners need that space protected for their electronics sway bar disconnect and vacuum pump.

So, what I'm making is a skid that integrates tow bar and recovery attachment points. It will attach to the bottom of the bumper and the crash bar. Currie makes something very similar but it is too large to fit. So I have to make our own. It actually stiffens up the front end quite a bit.

#134 ·
gerald, have you considered engineering your skid to allow better clearance with the upward rotation of the sway bar disconnect? since you're mounting the winch ontop of the frame rails (as it should be done) you'll have plenty of room under there to rotate the disconnect and solenoid assembly up. you could reduce the size of the crash bar for better approach angle and still retain the OEM product.

#140 ·
I am in bad need of this set-up (bumper and skid) for a 2012 Rubicon particularly if it is bolt on. Pricing known yet?
I will be happy to flip the disconnect and move the vacuum if needed.
Jim

#141 ·
Jim this bumper will not be bolt one. You need to trim the front flat plates and drill 8 holes. The bolt on bumper we are developing is still being worked on and won't be nearly clean as it has to be alot bigger to cover the front plates.

Pricing will be slightly higher than our TJ/LJ aluminum bumpers. We have to add more hardware.

Thanks,

Gerald

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.