Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Savvy JK Test Mule

105K views 294 replies 55 participants last post by  awinski 
#1 ·
So in August 2011 we pickup one of the first 2012 JKUs. I was sold the moment I got on the freeway. It has been used to test fit a bunch of new parts from Dynomax , Rancho, Currie and of course Savvy.

Now I can document it's life and am finally starting its build. Most everything we do you'll be able to order and install yourself.

These are some of the products that are going to be installed, Sorry for the small pix!

Savvy JK Under Armor
Savvy JK Bumpers
Savvy JK Tail Lights
Savvy/Currie 4" Suspension Front and Rear Antirocks
Currie F9 front axle with HP9 4.88 gears
Currie RockJock 60 Rear Axle 4.88 gears
Fox Racing 12" Reservoir Shocks
PSC hydro assist steering
Warn Winch
Viking Off Road Synthetic rope
Raceline RT233 Monster Bead locks
Falken 37" Wildpeak AT Tires
Dynomax exhaust and 2012 cross over pipe
Tom Wood drives shafts
AFE Air Intake Kit
Powertank 10lbs CO2 Bottle

The day I brought it home

Rancho put a 3" lift on to test their parts, I had some 35" Goodyears MTRs sitting around so they went on. Raceline RT233 Monsters of course!

See less See more
#12 ·
Hi Gerald...
About time you get started on the JK..lol... just picked mine up in April.... I am going to need your armor/skid plates and tail lights really soon so let me know when they are finished. I was actually getting ready to order some other ones when I read this post... hopefully they are for an automatic!

Eddie

#16 ·
Subscribed - glad to see something good happening in here again

Edit: What lockers are you running?
As always Detroit front and ARB rear.

This week we should be getting a bunch done. The steering box will need to go to PSC to be ported for the hydro assist so that will take a week to get done. A custom Currie tie rod also needs to be made to clear the diff. Once we get the axles in then I'll get Tom Wood to make the 1350 driveshafts.

Thanks!

#25 ·
Is that an ARB diff cover knock off? That doesnt look like its made of metal. Give us some deets...

#26 ·
#45 ·
What is really cool about the Currie Diff cover is it has a dip stick! Put three quarts of gear lube and then check the oil and mark the dip stick. It is one heavy beast and I can even make Savvy Name Plates for if I was to sell them stand alone. No need in my mind as I rather them know it is a Currie product.

#31 ·
This will be a sweet rig when it's all said and done! Any idea why you went Detroit in the front as opposed to an ARB? Seems strange to plumb in a pump and switches only for the rear.

I second the motion to avoid the Tom Wood shaft. They're just not what they used to be. I went with a Tatton shaft. He uses all spicer parts and is hella reasonable.

If you do go Tom Wood, get spicer joints instead of that lifetime chinese gold crap. And shop around for a machine shop in advance so you know where to take it when your tube splits. Ask me how I know...

#32 ·
This will be a sweet rig when it's all said and done! Any idea why you went Detroit in the front as opposed to an ARB? Seems strange to plumb in a pump and switches only for the rear.
Probably because 9's and ARB's historically don't get along. Detroits are simple and uber reliable. I'd run the same setup with that axle combo.
I second the motion to avoid the Tom Wood shaft. They're just not what they used to be. I went with a Tatton shaft. He uses all spicer parts and is hella reasonable.

If you do go Tom Wood, get spicer joints instead of that lifetime chinese gold crap. And shop around for a machine shop in advance so you know where to take it when your tube splits. Ask me how I know...
This isn't Gerald's first rodeo......:thumbsup:

But I agree, Spicer FTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.