JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Sat Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/sat-radio-317469/)

tbrkek 09-19-2006 06:53 AM

Sat Radio

Anyone with the Sirius radio having any problems of it always going out. I am assuming it is because the attennae is not on the roof, obviously. With that...anyone know where the antennae for the satellite radio is? I have XM in another vehcile through GM and I hardly every lose the station. In the Jeep, I can't go more than 5 minutes without it cutting out. It only cuts out for a few seconds, but still annoying! Anyway, not sure why they have it in a vehcile where it can't be mounted on the roof, thus giving out poor coverage.

jeepboy85 09-19-2006 07:59 AM

I don't know if you have the JK or a TJ, but I have Sirius in my TJ and it works perfectly fine. I have a plug and play radio with the antenna on the drivers side roll bar and I never loose reception, works perfectly fine through either the cloth of the soft top or the fiberglass of the hardtop.

Rocky529 09-19-2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepboy85
I don't know if you have the JK or a TJ, but I have Sirius in my TJ and it works perfectly fine. I have a plug and play radio with the antenna on the drivers side roll bar and I never loose reception, works perfectly fine through either the cloth of the soft top or the fiberglass of the hardtop.

:agree:

I'm not sure where the factory mounts the antenna in the JK... but seeing as it is either fiberglass or canvas above it, I don't see why it is cutting out.

nierace 09-19-2006 09:41 AM

It depends on where you're driving...mine cuts out when I am driving on back roads with tons of tree coverage...on open road it never cuts out. In the winter it hardly cuts out and in the summer it does get pretty annoying.

stl_07 09-19-2006 07:52 PM

same here! i have had sirius for 3 years now and the only time it cuts out is when i go under bridges and at the gas station. i also noticed it when i am between large buldings (downtown highrise) it cuts out from time to time. just needs that direct line to the sky..

MuddyJeepZJ 09-19-2006 08:20 PM

Another reason why sirius sucks and XM is better. Sirius spends all thier money on names while XM puts money into technology.

tbrkek 09-19-2006 09:22 PM

Even still...anyone know where the antennae is for the factory installed Sirius. My JK came with it for a year...but where the heck is the antennae??? It can't be combined with the FM/AM antennae, can it??

parkstephen 09-19-2006 10:23 PM

Mine is stuck on the inside of the front windshield by the driver's front right lower corner. I got a year's service with my purchase of my 06 too.

Anybody else's there?

yellj 09-22-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuddyJeepZJ
Another reason why sirius sucks and XM is better. Sirius spends all thier money on names while XM puts money into technology.

Can you explain that, I would have thought it is those making the Head Units and antennas, do they use different satellite bands (not sure if that is the right term)

Thunderstrike 09-23-2006 09:43 AM

I just don't like all those commercials on talk show/new channels. I end up listening to BBC news since they have no commercials, of course, Howard Stern. My antenna is inside the rollbar cover, sitting on top of the rollbar. Do loose signal sometimes but mostly it's fine even going under tunnels and trees. I think there are times it cuts out more than other times going thru something with short loss of line of sight to the sky... I attribute this to satellite position at the time. I'm curteous of the signal quality of the in-line Sirius unit because my Sportster quality isn't good even though I'm using RCA connection to back of OEM unit.

The time now is 12:08 AM.