Sand stuck - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sand stuck

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
I'm thinking that either your 4x4 isn't working or it's driver error. Street tires actually normally do fine in sand when aired down enough. More aggressive tires like to dig where less aggressive tires float on top better.
It could be that the traction control is applying brakes if you're trying to spin tires as well but again that comes down to driving technique.

brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler
 
Filthy-Beast's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
The biggest thing is probably the tire, width, load range and pressure. I run 12# on load range C tire, that will have a much different foot print than 12# in load range E tire. I've found 4 lo to be no help and more likely to dig in. Also notice where he's wheeling. If it is very soft and has been blowing and drifting it might be a problem.

Edit: I've only wheeled in sand with my older jeeps, is the BLD of the 2013 going to be a help or a hindrance?
__________________
13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs

Last edited by Filthy-Beast; 07-07-2013 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: added ?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 4,453
I don't know about the 2012 post JK/JKUs, but


Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
The biggest thing is probably the tire, width, load range and pressure. I run 12# on load range C tire, that will have a much different foot print than 12# in load range E tire. I've found 4 lo to be no help and more likely to dig in. Also notice where he's wheeling. If it is very soft and has been blowing and drifting it might be a problem.

Edit: I've only wheeled in sand with my older jeeps, is the BLD of the 2013 going to be a help or a hindrance?
In the previous (07/2011) there's an "ESP" switch that partially disables the "ESP" sys, when in 4hi, automaticly disables in 4lo and you shouldn'd drive in sand/ice/snow/mud, with the "ESP" system engaged--

JIMBO
__________________
Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
I'd say there are four considerations: First, wider mud tires will work to give you a large footprint and keep you afloat on the dunes. Second, airing down to 12-15 psi will give you more footprint and keep your tires soft so they don't dig in like hard aired-up tires. Third, technique - having the knack to keep momentum without stopping OR spinning your tires is key to negotiating sand. Fourth - vehicle weight - the JK is slightly heavier than a 2004 Cherokee... and underpowered compared to the V8 - although the Xterra is heavy, too. Perhaps the Xterra driver had mud tires, aired-down, and used good technique to cross the sand.

Besides that, the JK uses four tires on sand. I'm can't think of any other "issues" a JK might have vs. any other vehicle with a set of four tires on sand?
Under powered? with 285hp? really? the 3.6 at 6200rpm pules like mule. He should have sand in his ***.

First off 20 psi is NOT aired down 15 is where they JUST start to get soft. But if you have street tires and are heading out into desert dunes, you can fix *******.
__________________
[URL=http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com[/URL]
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Ls1man2020
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nova, Va
Posts: 98
Not to high jack this post but I'm going to the beach this week for the first Time can some list a check list for me so I know what steps to take to drive in the sand? I will be going to carova beach in NC to chase the wild horses. Stock 2013 JKUR. Thanks.
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
Fellows
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Summerville, South Carolina
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1man2020
Not to high jack this post but I'm going to the beach this week for the first Time can some list a check list for me so I know what steps to take to drive in the sand? I will be going to carova beach in NC to chase the wild horses. Stock 2013 JKUR. Thanks.
Bone stock JKUR with fully aired up tires did fine for me. My wife who's never driven a 4wd did fine as well. Airing down to me is a PITA when you have to make trips into town.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
djm
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PENNINGTON, NJ
Posts: 413
Been there many,many times over the years. Are you renting up in the FWD area ?

My experience has always been good and there were a lot of vehicles out on the beach. This is a beach that I drive on without airing down. The jeep does great, however you should always be prepared, have a tow strap just in case. A shovel just in case. Pretty much if you check the national park service requirements for over sand vehicles, you should carry all of that stuff. I have not been there in about 4 years now, back then cell service did not work as you went north along the beach.

In my experience there have always been a number of vehicles stuck along the beach there, not usually jeeps, esp not wranglers but I have seen a few jeeps stuck there. Biggest issue is there was no permit needed, any and every yahoo who wanted to drive on the beach tries to. Every 4wd is not outfitted from the dealer to drive on the beach. They tend to get stuck to the frame rails if they have them, or just to the bottom of their vehicle. People would take their all wheel drive audi's out there and get stuck. I would make sure there was no emergency, sometimes the local police would answer the CB, as would the towing companies. I will bend over backwards to help another wrangler, but there are commercial wreckers to help stupid in their audi's.

A stock wrangler would do fine there, a stock chevy suburban will not. The big truck need to air down, know how to drive in the sand.

Don't try and be a hero, a wrangler helping out another wrangler is great. Don't get suckered into trying to pull out a bigger vehicle like a suburban or excursion. There are several commercial wreckers in that area that specialize in removing stuck vehicles from the FWD area. The 2 I know of use military surplus wreckers, get the job gone in minutes, at a price.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler
 
Filthy-Beast's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
If you do get stuck, stop digging. (Don't keep spinning the tire until your axle deep). Get out, use the shovel and air down, should get you out. you should also carry a portable compressor so you can air back up if needed.
__________________
13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Ls1man2020
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nova, Va
Posts: 98
Thanks for responses should I be in 4hi or low before I go onto the sand and also if I did get stuck what gear should I be in to try and get out should I go high to low or low to high?
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Ls1man2020
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nova, Va
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Been there many,many times over the years. Are you renting up in the FWD area ?

My experience has always been good and there were a lot of vehicles out on the beach. This is a beach that I drive on without airing down. The jeep does great, however you should always be prepared, have a tow strap just in case. A shovel just in case. Pretty much if you check the national park service requirements for over sand vehicles, you should carry all of that stuff. I have not been there in about 4 years now, back then cell service did not work as you went north along the beach.

In my experience there have always been a number of vehicles stuck along the beach there, not usually jeeps, esp not wranglers but I have seen a few jeeps stuck there. Biggest issue is there was no permit needed, any and every yahoo who wanted to drive on the beach tries to. Every 4wd is not outfitted from the dealer to drive on the beach. They tend to get stuck to the frame rails if they have them, or just to the bottom of their vehicle. People would take their all wheel drive audi's out there and get stuck. I would make sure there was no emergency, sometimes the local police would answer the CB, as would the towing companies. I will bend over backwards to help another wrangler, but there are commercial wreckers to help stupid in their audi's.

A stock wrangler would do fine there, a stock chevy suburban will not. The big truck need to air down, know how to drive in the sand.

Don't try and be a hero, a wrangler helping out another wrangler is great. Don't get suckered into trying to pull out a bigger vehicle like a suburban or excursion. There are several commercial wreckers in that area that specialize in removing stuck vehicles from the FWD area. The 2 I know of use military surplus wreckers, get the job gone in minutes, at a price.
I'm not sure what the fwd area is when I get home from work today I am going to work out all the details. Can you recommend and good places to rent down there. Is the beach normally busy at this time? Also how private is it? Did you see any horses?
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
Ls1man2020
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nova, Va
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
If you do get stuck, stop digging. (Don't keep spinning the tire until your axle deep). Get out, use the shovel and air down, should get you out. you should also carry a portable compressor so you can air back up if needed.
Should I bring a jack board too or don't try to jack it up in sand?
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler
 
Filthy-Beast's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
Stay in 4hi, you want momentum not low end torque. You want to move without spinning the tires, spinning tires dig holes. Shift so you don't spin tires.
__________________
13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #28
djm
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PENNINGTON, NJ
Posts: 413
the 4wd it should have said, I have not been there in 4 years ....... the houses that rent in that area are very very expensive several thousand dollars a week, most have a ocean view, many have their own pool. The are is identified in rental brochures and by real estate rental ads as the 4wd area. There are NO roads to the houses, there are sand trails that are identified as roads on maps they will provide on the west side of the dunes. The ONLY way to access these houses is by a 4wd vehicle. I personally loved it, very relaxed, no boardwalk. Kids learned to relax, play on the beach, go fishing, fly a kite and I got to do a little necessary four wheeling.

YES, we saw many horses, mostly on the west side of the dunes.

One word of caution, if you ride some of the sand trails, when you come to a mud hole in the road ...I know it just looks like a puddle in the sand trail ..... go around it. I know riding thru and splashing can be fun ( guilty - been there - done that ) but unless you are following some other smuck who goes thru, go around. I have seen those little puddles swallow a whole jeep. We spent hours one day trying to help a guy, he drove in the puddle and sunk, a couple of us with winches could not get him out. He became the anchor and our winches just pulled us towards him.

Bottom line - go and enjoy - remember if you think maybe you shouldn't do it, you most likely should not.

Dan
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Fellows
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Summerville, South Carolina
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm
the 4wd it should have said, I have not been there in 4 years ....... the houses that rent in that area are very very expensive several thousand dollars a week, most have a ocean view, many have their own pool. The are is identified in rental brochures and by real estate rental ads as the 4wd area. There are NO roads to the houses, there are sand trails that are identified as roads on maps they will provide on the west side of the dunes. The ONLY way to access these houses is by a 4wd vehicle. I personally loved it, very relaxed, no boardwalk. Kids learned to relax, play on the beach, go fishing, fly a kite and I got to do a little necessary four wheeling.

YES, we saw many horses, mostly on the west side of the dunes.

One word of caution, if you ride some of the sand trails, when you come to a mud hole in the road ...I know it just looks like a puddle in the sand trail ..... go around it. I know riding thru and splashing can be fun ( guilty - been there - done that ) but unless you are following some other smuck who goes thru, go around. I have seen those little puddles swallow a whole jeep. We spent hours one day trying to help a guy, he drove in the puddle and sunk, a couple of us with winches could not get him out. He became the anchor and our winches just pulled us towards him.

Bottom line - go and enjoy - remember if you think maybe you shouldn't do it, you most likely should not.

Dan
X2 on the deceiving mud holes. I went through one that looked shallow but came up to the headlights.

Also don't drive on anything with something growing on it. It's a huge fine.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic
 
SubAtomicGenius's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Under powered? with 285hp? really? the 3.6 at 6200rpm pules like mule. He should have sand in his ***.

First off 20 psi is NOT aired down 15 is where they JUST start to get soft. But if you have street tires and are heading out into desert dunes, you can fix *******.
Yes, the 3.6L is underpowered compared to the 4.7L V8 Powertech engine. The 3.6L Pentastar puts out 210-250 ft-lbs torque to 3600 RPM, while the 4.7 goes from 260-320 ft-lbs in the same range, or about 130% more torque. More torque=more power to the wheels.

Moot point - besides - because 6200 rpm isn't going to get you anywhere but stuck in the sand unless you were already going 40-50mph.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.