Sand stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sand stuck

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
DxBterrorist
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sand stuck

Hello all,
I need ur opinion, last Friday I went out with my jeep to the beach and I got stuck really bad.. Once I got into the sand the jeep just dug down and landed on the chassis.. This isn't the first time also.. Wrangler unlimited sahara 2013.. Traction control was off and tire pressure was down to 20 psi and the sand wasn't that soft.. However, it just digs down and don't move on 4wd and 4 lo
With my old grand Cherokee 2004 I never had such issue

DxBterrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You need to air down more than that, I run at 12# on sand. also how wide are your tires?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

On my stock Sport tires I had no issues in 4 hi. I jumped mine into a pit of sand and just put it in 4 low. No air down necessary. Maybe the Sahara tires don't do as well..?
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
DxBterrorist
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, but overall there aren't any known issues with the new model when it comes to sand?
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ya should of aired down a little more. And was it wet or dry sand? Makes quite a difference
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
DxBterrorist
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dry from the top and wet at about 6 inches below a Nissan extera got through without dropping pressure..
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
Fellows
2011 WK 

I drove for about 30 miles total on soft sugar sand in a stock Rubicon with no airing down without getting stuck. I tried in 2wd for about a mile before it dug in and refused to move, but pulled right back out in 4 hi. Are you sure it's engaging 4wd?
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
DxBterrorist
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sure indeed, before I got into the sand I engaged the 4WD and once i touched it just dug down, i kept moving forward and backward in about 4 meters, then switched to 4LO hoping it will give me better traction but again in that 4 meter till finally it got completely stuck, i started digging and got towed by a bunch of construction workers with a Ford Super Duty.
And before in a soft sugar sand with pressure down at 17 I got stuck after driving 12 miles in, i was going down a little dune and right after I got off it just go stuck, tried everything and landed on the chassis.
One thing with the acceleration, it takes from a half a second to second to respond and deliver torque.

I had a Grand Cherokee 2004 4.7L V8 and never had a problem even in those to places, i didn't even drop the air pressure. it was 4 All time so i'd just drive in! i even used to tow other cars!
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd say there are four considerations: First, wider mud tires will work to give you a large footprint and keep you afloat on the dunes. Second, airing down to 12-15 psi will give you more footprint and keep your tires soft so they don't dig in like hard aired-up tires. Third, technique - having the knack to keep momentum without stopping OR spinning your tires is key to negotiating sand. Fourth - vehicle weight - the JK is slightly heavier than a 2004 Cherokee... and underpowered compared to the V8 - although the Xterra is heavy, too. Perhaps the Xterra driver had mud tires, aired-down, and used good technique to cross the sand.

Besides that, the JK uses four tires on sand. I'm can't think of any other "issues" a JK might have vs. any other vehicle with a set of four tires on sand?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
05TJguy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've run in the dunes here in Michigan several times, I always run 6-8 pounds of air with my factory Rubicon tires.

I've gone up the biggest dunes in 2wd.
05TJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Except for a few rare occasions, I drive right along the sandy beaches of NJ and Outter Banks of North Carolina without doing anything other than pulling the lever to engage 4wd as I pull off the pavement into the sand. I've done that for years, 2dr - 4dr manual - automatic transmission.

Not trying to offend the OP or anyone else, but driving in the sand is an acquired skill, a little practice and you will get it down. Requires just the perfect amount of throttle, too much or too little gets you stuck. Today's jeeps are amazingly capable vehicles, but once you are on the frame rails you are done. 4wd high should have worked for you hope you figure out what didn't go right so next time your beach trip will be more fun !
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have stock Sahara tires, they are the culprit as they are more suited for the street than anything.

Make sure that four wheel drive is engaged and that the plastic clips on the transfer case lever aren't broken.

Selectable lockers will help immensely but are not cheap.

Maintaining forward momentum will prevent you from sinking.
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Fellows
2011 WK 

I see a lot of rental Wranglers in Outer Banks and it looks like they all have ATs. I've never seen a stuck Jeep there. I have MTs and it didn't seem to matter how much I gunned it or if I came to a complete stop in soft sand, it always pulled out even with fully aired tires. As far as Jeeps go, they're a lot lighter than most of the trucks I see at OBX. I've seen 4wd buses, ambulances, logging trucks, countless super duties, etc.

Have you verified the front wheels are spinning when you're stuck?
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just like SAG says--and

There are at least 7 different sand conditions that, when learned and driven accordingly, can be "Stick proof" and

Gear ratio/auto vs stick/tire tread/air pressure are important and

The driver is the final success mode, if you know what you're doing--no stickee !

Do some practice and LEARN--on level sand, driven properly, a SAHARA/w stock tires will go all day, without getting stuck, in sand (no dunes)---

A jeep can go mostly anywhere, but it's gotta be driven there !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe you should stay out of the sand until you acquire some more off roading skills. No one here can tel you what you did wrong.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.