Sahara package VS Rubicon package. What do you really get with the Rubi??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sahara package VS Rubicon package. What do you really get with the Rubi???

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sahara package VS Rubicon package. What do you really get with the Rubi???

I am looking at both a 09 sahara and rubicon wrangler unlimited. The price difference is about $4,000. I am just wondering what I will be getting for the extra cash for the rubi or would it be better spent on a lift and tires on the sahara? The more recomendations the better, I am going to look at them tommorow or the next day. Thanks.

badazzelanore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzelanore View Post
I am looking at both a 09 sahara and rubicon wrangler unlimited. The price difference is about $4,000. I am just wondering what I will be getting for the extra cash for the rubi or would it be better spent on a lift and tires on the sahara? The more recomendations the better, I am going to look at them tommorow or the next day. Thanks.

On the Rubi you get

1. Really cool lettering on the hood, that alone is worth the 4K

2. Bigger and better tires

3. Dana 44 front end instead of D30

4. 4.10 gearing

5. Lower geared transfer case, Rubi is 4 -1 and normal is 2.7 - 1 (or about)

6. Disconnecting front swaybar

7. Lockers front and back.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I guess that settles it... I am gonna go test the Rubi tommorow so I guess that will be it. It is black and the sahara is green which is the color i wanted but black is pretty pimp also. I hope the deal goes through lol or im gonna be dissapointed.
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzelanore View Post
its only worth it if you offroad it. my wifes' boss is looking to buy a rubi for nothing more than to cruise with. why pay all the extra money for parts that will never be used
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
07rescuerubi
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would add that the D44 front and 4.1 gearing helps alot if you want to lift your jeep and run bigger tires.

The rubi also can go almost anywhere bone stock

You wont be able to add lockers, a 4:1 transfer case, 4.1 gears, and the electronic disconnect for anywhere near the 4000 difference if you buy the sahara

although none of this is an advantage if you will
A) never go offroading/only lightly offroad or
B) want to replace all that stuff for Dana 60s, an Atlas transfer case and higher gears

if either A or B is true, get the Sahara

Personally, I love my rubi
07rescuerubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought the wife a 08 Liberty limited with all the bells and whistles, even has the retractable roof and i she wont let me drive it on the beach or mud or even drive witht he top open! Anyway I have never had a 4-wheel drive but my family likes to go 4-wheeling so i just want to have my own rig that will give me good times and good years. So thanx for the info, input and care. I am leaning towards the rubi if nothing else incase i want to trade up but also so hopefully i wont if i get the works. I am looking for a ride that will keep my interests and grow with me and my skills. street racing is stupid and just gets me in trouble. Lol its alot easier to hit the beach or a trail than it is to go to a race track.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
qpcs
2008 JK Wrangler 

I see that you are from Corpus Christi, so was I at one time. If you are just looking for a vehicle to cruise the beach and not worry about getting stuck, the Sahara will do fine. If you invest the money you saved on a lift and tires it will be even better.

I have a Rubicon myself and I love it. Fact is that with my mild off roading I would have been just as well off getting an X model or the Sahara. If I still lived in Corpus and hit the beach or the trails on the weekends, I still would not have needed the Rubicon.

All that being said, go with the Rubicon. If you take it out regularly you will get caught with the bug and wish that you had it at some point.
qpcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
On the Rubi you get

1. Really cool lettering on the hood, that alone is worth the 4K

2. Bigger and better tires

3. Dana 44 front end instead of D30

4. 4.10 gearing

5. Lower geared transfer case, Rubi is 4 -1 and normal is 2.7 - 1 (or about)

6. Disconnecting front swaybar

7. Lockers front and back.
8. 32 spline axle shafts rear vs 30

9. Rocker gaurds

10. additional skid plates.

11. tow hooks? (not sure if the sahara has those.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im moving to washington state again and if i remember correctly they have some pretty good trails and a ton of rain so I will look at both and prolly end up with the rubicon. I like to brag so the rubicon would do the trick for me lol.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
freewilly

If your going to use it off road as a serious rock hopper the Rubi most likely fit the bill.

For brag appeal eg most chicks do not know what a Rubicon is so get the Sahara & spend the extra cash on clothes with fancy labels ( that they prob would notice) more than a sticker and a dana 44!
freewilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The wife knows the difference and i dont think she would appreciate the whole fancy clothes to attract chicks bit... But thanx lol.
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

fwiw, I have a 2-door Sahara. The tires are the same size as a Rubi but they're AT's on 18" wheels. No disco, no lockers, but it does have tow hooks and fog lights. Came with 3.73 gears.
In the long run, I hosed myself by buying it.

If I could get into the Way-back Machine, I'd have gotten either a 2-door Rubicon or 4-door X.
On a 2-door Rubi I'd just put in OME springs, bumpers, and run it on 33's with 4.56 gears. Add some lights and done.
For a 4-door, I'd want to run at least a 35" tire on 3" lift and I'd get the D60's locked from another source, geared at 5.13. The 4-doors have a disadvantage where I go due to breakover angle and need the larger tires.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #13
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

i've got a 2007 Sahara, love at first sight....the stealer jacked it up 2 inches, and put on the larger tires. Its a six speed with 3.21 gears in it. Having had the TJ, i was disappointed with the low end torque and have constantly thought about changing the gears out. However, lately, with the incentives, I've considered trading for a 2009 Rubicon with 4 speed auto. My problem with most of the Sahara's is the low end speed and torque coming out of the box. You have to rev the engine and slip the clutch to keep it at a good low speed if in 2wd especially if you are off road on a trail. That said, when you put it in low, low, it works pretty good. I got a chance to run it this past hunting season in upstate n.y. in about 6 inches of snow up some haul/skid roads in some sizable terrain. I wasn't disappointed.
Think I'll go test drive one today....i did a build your own and it came out to 29000. I think you'll be satisfied either way....but if you can, get the 4.10's vs one with 3.21's

cass
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
vanner77
2007 JK Wrangler 

i was in the same delema ( or however you spell that).. i had to decide between the unlimited rubi or sahara... when we ran the numbers... on my finance it wasnt that big of a deal on a monthly payment. So i had to cut 2 pizzas outta the monthly budget... big deal right? my rubi is on order and should be here this week or next! see i work for honda, and what i tell my customers, is that you might as well get what you really want the first time. Spend an extra 30 bucks a month to get what you actually want, instead of a year or two down the road regret not gettin the rubi, by then the sahara will be worth less than you owe because of interest, you will trade it in.. lose money.. owe on your sahara and the rubi payments will end up being way more than in the original situation! thanks just my 2 cents! lemme know what you get either way.
good luck

cody
vanner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #15
mbr129

This is re: Unlimited JKs...

Let me just say that I drove a Rubi and a Sahara and call me insane but the Rubi felt significantly faster off the line (clearly due to the 4.1 vs. 3.2 gears) and also flatter on turns. Perhaps a tad stiffer ride, but I am a sportscar guy, so I don't care about that.

Also, I configured both as I wanted on the website, and the price difference was less than 2k after rebates. A no-brainer for me.

I'm ordering an Orange/Khaki Rubi and I think I'm going with the 6-speed too.
mbr129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.