Rusty's 3.25 kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rusty's 3.25 kit

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
RustysOffroad

There you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
How many companies use a radius style arm on a stock length short control arm? A lot, do a search on the various companies that are out there that offer a radius arm set up.

Do radius style upper arms twist and push the axle in opposite direction when the suspension flexes (1 side up/ 1 side down)? Again it has been used in OE applications for a LONG time, and in aftermarket applications. There is a reason for joints that flex.

Do long arms compared to short arms provide less bind for a given amount of axle travel? What is the cost involved \ compared to a radius style set up?

I don't have anything against stock length arms. This isn't a long arm short arm concern. If you would have at least put the effort into your "Advanced" kit to give your radius arms a long arm to work off of, I could have atleast sucked it up enough to keep my mouth shut and just written it off as "MANY companies use them".
We also offer an Long Arm system..... but you won't like it

[url]https://www.facebook.com/RustysOffRoad?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]
RustysOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
RustysOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Wow, some strong opinions there. I will not be turning this into a rock crawler, it will see sand, mud, and trails. I'm looking for overall better off road capabilities. So what would your recommendation be to run 35s with no rubbing issues, a kit that is complete with beefier components than the stock set up, and won't ruin drive line components?
Ours, it won't break the bank, suited for your applications it seems and offers great off-road capabilities. We also offer our up for discount a few times a year, so keep that in mind too.
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'd look at a teraflex budget boost. Doesn't change much and is something you can grow with and sell when you outgrow for close to what you paid for it. The stock suspension is very capable as it is. It would be foolish to trade it for something that utilizes poor quality components that are tailored to a "won't break the bank" price point.

By quality and cry once, buy crap and cry a lot.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustysOffroad View Post
Ours, it won't break the bank, suited for your applications it seems and offers great off-road capabilities. We also offer our up for discount a few times a year, so keep that in mind too.
It makes me nervous it is that much lift and you say no drive line components need to be modified or replaced. That goes against all the research I have done and will certainly break the bank.

This is quite the daunting task. I went to the 4WD Parts store after work and they recommended a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift or a Pro-Comp. After looking over the gripes about them, those systems don't seem reliable either. I feel like it's a "pick your poison" situation. The other thing about both the Pro-Comp and RE is if you want it warrantied by them, the shop has to install them? Is this accurate? The labor alone on the install was $540. These forums are full of people doing lifts themselves and I find it hard to believe a dealer has to install them to get the warranty.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

How many companies use a radius style arm on a stock length short control arm? A lot, do a search on the various companies that are out there that offer a radius arm set up.
Quote:
I did the research when lifting my Jeep, there are no other companies that I found that do a radius arm for a JK. For good reason
Do radius style upper arms twist and push the axle in opposite direction when the suspension flexes (1 side up/ 1 side down)? Again it has been used in OE applications for a LONG time, and in aftermarket applications. There is a reason for joints that flex. I
Quote:
t has been used in OE applications on full size trucks, and even then the radius arms are a lot longer than yours are for a JK, I have yet to see any other vendor go with radius arms for a JK, because it does not work and doing radius arms is a cheap alternative that uniformed people think look pretty. I would also not want all of the force of the front suspension going to one point on the frame that was not designed for that force. Your asking to rip the brackets off with that set up.
Do long arms compared to short arms provide less bind for a given amount of axle travel? What is the cost involved \ compared to a radius style set up?
Quote:
A great rule of thumb to do a proper lift is $1000 per inch why are you able to do it for half? Im at about 2.2K on my 3" lift and still have a long way to go.
I don't have anything against stock length arms. This isn't a long arm short arm concern. If you would have at least put the effort into your "Advanced" kit to give your radius arms a long arm to work off of, I could have atleast sucked it up enough to keep my mouth shut and just written it off as "MANY companies use them".
We also offer an Long Arm system..... but you won't like it
Quote:
long arms are pretty much pointless on a JK the mid arm length will work for any reasonable amount of lift

To the OP, I have tried Rusty's stuff once and was not happy with the way even thier tranny skid on an XJ fit. I will not buy their products because of this and many other threads on bad quality and stuff just not fitting like it should.

There are many lifts out there for 1.5k that will be far better than that setup and you will have quality parts that have been proven.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I'd look at a teraflex budget boost. Doesn't change much and is something you can grow with and sell when you outgrow for close to what you paid for it. The stock suspension is very capable as it is. It would be foolish to trade it for something that utilizes poor quality components that are tailored to a "won't break the bank" price point.

By quality and cry once, buy crap and cry a lot.
I totally agree with the buy it right the first time. That's why I'm trying to weed out the crap I'm in agreement that the stock suspension is very capable. Given this is my DD and only goes wheeling once a week or so, I don't need a super-atomic suspension set-up. I commute 7 miles to work and there are no mountain passes in that 7 miles. Would you recommend the teraflex bb with the shocks or with the extensions?
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Id get the extensions, I'm not a fan of teraflex's shocks and it furthers the point of being able to sell when you out grow it

Unread 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
RustysOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
It makes me nervous it is that much lift and you say no drive line components need to be modified or replaced. That goes against all the research I have done and will certainly break the bank.

This is quite the daunting task. I went to the 4WD Parts store after work and they recommended a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift or a Pro-Comp. After looking over the gripes about them, those systems don't seem reliable either. I feel like it's a "pick your poison" situation. The other thing about both the Pro-Comp and RE is if you want it warrantied by them, the shop has to install them? Is this accurate? The labor alone on the install was $540. These forums are full of people doing lifts themselves and I find it hard to believe a dealer has to install them to get the warranty.
4WP owns Rubicon Express and Pro-Comp they will always push their product over other brands they have, FYI.

And yes with ours no DS upgrade needed, now like many systems around this height you may need to upgrade your DS's down the road.

Look for a system made in the USA too... 30+ years of this for us.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have used Rustys stuff on my XJs and FSJ, no complaints on any of it. One thing I have to disagree with them though is the need for no driveline mods at 3.25". At 2.5", the factory Rzeppa joint at the t-case is nearly maxed out. Any more than that and it is not long for this world. Run over 3" and disconnect the swaybar you will eventually have problems, if you don't believe it, just give it time.
For the naysayers, read my signature.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

^^^Exactly my point about drive line components. Especially funny is the Rusty's post before yours that says, "you may need to upgrade your DS down the road." Meaning: when you wear it out by running too much lift!?
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Dont concern urself with long or short arm debate. The jk comes from the factory with a mid arm setup. Just get some adjustable lower front arms at the least and u should be fine with the type of wheeling u say ur going to do.

Now that i think about it. If u want to play it safe with ur driveline...do a 2.5 lift or bb with flat fenders and run 35-37s. Goodto go!
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Or if u dont have a rubicon.....rubi 4dr springs ...2inch bb and lower front adjustables...and if u can afford trackbars front and rear. Make ur own lift kit and u should be able to get exactly what u want.3.5 to 4" of lift will give you roughly 5/8" axle displacement side to side in the jk.

I ran a $600 4.5 inch roughcountry lift on my 96 zj. It worked for a while but as i became more knowledgable i started replacing trackbar brackets with trackbars and the steering instead of running a drop pitman arm....had to buy front upper control arms..by the time i was done i had spent what it was going to cost to buy a more complete lift kit. I under stand that a zj is a diffrent beast compared to the jk but the point is if u buy the components u will end up replacing with down the road then u wont waste ur time and money making ur jeep the way u want it by buying what some company thinks is a complete lift kit. There is no company out there that sell a complete lift. Some come close, but they are usally missing shocks or brakeline extensions. Minor but that would make it complete. There are better adjustable arms out there than the ones u are looking at. Stay away from companies calling a lift short arm for the jk. In reality there is no such thing. Its mid or longarm.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #28
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There you go.

A lot, do a search on the various companies that are out there that offer a radius arm set up.
Avoiding the question alittle bit?

Quote:
Again it has been used in OE applications for a LONG time, and in aftermarket applications. There is a reason for joints that flex
Again, avoiding the question?...

Quote:
What is the cost involved \ compared to a radius style set up?
Wow, you've managed to avoid answering all 3 questions.

Avoiding questions and misleading answers are reason enough to avoid your company.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #29
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Oh hey look, a Rustys long arm kit

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
RustysOffroad

Not avoiding it, I thought you could learn something new today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Avoiding the question alittle bit?

Again, avoiding the question?...

Wow, you've managed to avoid answering all 3 questions.

Avoiding questions and misleading answers are reason enough to avoid your company.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.