Rusty's 3.25 kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rusty's 3.25 kit

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rusty's 3.25 kit

I would like anyone to chime in if they have or are currently running this lift. I am looking for maximum amount of lift without changing driveline components.

There is a basic kit:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...basic-kit.html

And an advanced kit:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...anced-kit.html

I like the thought of more adjustable components. If you are using this set up:

1)How do the shocks in the kit hold up on/off road?
2)Have you had any problems with driveline components wearing out? (I know they claim no driveline modifications.)

Thanks in advance!

Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rusty's is not worth the time to even look at.

Aside from them being liars that are incompetent when it comes to shipping a junk product....

Long radius arm style control arms bind enough to tear brackets off, turning short arms into a radius arms is ignorant.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Rustys sucks

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
RustysOffroad

Our systems are proven on both the trail and the road.
Numerous companies use a radius style set up because it works.
If you have any questions feel free to call us or PM us.
Thanks!
[url]https://www.facebook.com/RustysOffRoad?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]
RustysOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustysOffroad View Post

Numerous companies use a radius style set up because it works.

Radius style arms twist and bind. They work against each other when the suspension flexes. When one side pushes forward, the other pulls back. It's one thing to use it in a long arm setup but to cram that amount of twist and bind into a short or mid arm setup..... Come on, even you know better.

Quote:
If you have any questions feel free to call us or PM us.
Thanks!

Piss poor customer service that is full of lies. No thanks. I tried to do business with your company and you failed 3 times. All I got was BS and lies. No thanks. There are much better products available from companies that don't have to lie to their customers to cover their own butt.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
RustysOffroad

Again, radius arms work, there is a reason MANY companies use them, and are use in OE applications, you don't have to like them, and like short/long arms has its pros/cons.
In regards to our customer service, I don't know your particular issue, so I can't comment to the issues you may have had with us, but in general our customers are happy with our products and services.
[url]https://www.facebook.com/RustysOffRoad?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]
RustysOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeez Slade, I think for once we agree...I think Rusty's stuff is pretty good on full size trucks, I just do not think that translates to good for a JK from opinions and experience posted on this and other forums...that is an opinion, not my personal experience.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Jeez Slade, I think for once we agree....

We probly agree on a lot more than you think.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Again, radius arms work, there is a reason MANY companies use them, and are use in OE applications, you don't have to like them, and like short/long arms has its pros/cons.
How many companies use a radius style arm on a stock length short control arm?

Do radius style upper arms twist and push the axle in opposite direction when the suspension flexes (1 side up/ 1 side down)?

Do long arms compared to short arms provide less bind for a given amount of axle travel?

I don't have anything against stock length arms. This isn't a long arm short arm concern. If you would have at least put the effort into your "Advanced" kit to give your radius arms a long arm to work off of, I could have atleast sucked it up enough to keep my mouth shut and just written it off as "MANY companies use them".
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Wow, some strong opinions there. I will not be turning this into a rock crawler, it will see sand, mud, and trails. I'm looking for overall better off road capabilities. So what would your recommendation be to run 35s with no rubbing issues, a kit that is complete with beefier components than the stock set up, and won't ruin drive line components?
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, I am opinionated, there are several very good kits that fit this requirement...I suggest something in the range of 2.5 inches as that is all that is needed to run 35s. I use the OME kit and their Nitrocharger shocks, and run wheels with 4.5 inches of backspacing...
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

^^^Please don't take that in a negative way. I am glad for your responses. I use this to gain information to make the right decision, as I am in new territory here. This will be a hefty chunk of change to drop on an already $30k expenditure. I don't make minimum wage, but I do have four children, so I don't want to waste money on something that will be disappointing. I would like Rusty's to answer your questions, too.
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Op might want to also KNOW. the lifts in general spring lifts net more than what claimed. Though this real depends on the Quality of the springs. How they load and unload. Most High end kits use a progressive rate spring or dual rate. At 3.25+ you are into other "needed changes" range of lift. Most lifts measure rear and level it a bit. So say this rustes rear springs ride at 3.5 the front is closer to 4" You are well past the range of drive shaft flex if this kit gives the range of flex equal to shock travel say 10".

Drive shafts. Y pipe changes. Once over 3" lift, the steering draglink is rather steep as is the track bar. Going with a Flip drag and raised track bar will help keep the on road handling and steering response much better. With a better roll center on the track bar. This needs at least 3+-" bumps, so for 3+ lifts.

I am in the camp too of works better/should be on long arm set up. Most the top lift people even long arm are not using that setup. Try a triangulated 4 link is the "way". Better have real deep pockets or know how to fabricate.

This stuff adds up rather fast its more than that lift.
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm worried about. Also another reason I was hoping to hear from people who have used this set up or are using this set up. Maybe there is a reason why I am not......

Your reply confirms my initial intentions, don't go over 2.5". I saw the 3.25" set up and wondered if it would carry with it a laundry list of other components to modify. Their website claims no driveline modifications are needed, but I am skeptical about it.
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think that is not a fair statement to say no other components needed...check the discussions on this forum and other forums for a 3+ inch lift. If you don't need other parts right away, you will in the short future! 222Doc speaks the truth...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.