Rustproofing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rustproofing

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

POR-15 is okay, as long as you prep perfectly.

Fluid Film would probably be better.

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
vacman11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, picked up spray on undercoating and a spray wax for the interior of the doors and have a spray wash at corner to keep salt off, seems I only keep my vehicles for 3 years or so anyhow lol
vacman11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #18
Michel347

Went to Krown yesterday, they did a good job.

http://www.krown.com/
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There was a thread on here a few years back about a guy mixing lindseed oil, a wax toilet ring and a quart of motor oil. I wish I could find it.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
Froader
1978 CJ7 

I've done something to several vehicles I've owned over the years including a 92 4x4 Toyota truck that I beat the snot out of for 10 years. What I do is buy several cans of gloss black Rustoleum spray paint. Then cover the body with a sheet or tarp (overspray). I put old cloths on, bandana over the hair, a face mask and a decent breathing mask made to filter paint fumes. Then climb under and coat everything. I coat the heck out of the underside and all suspension components. I'll use the regular spray nozzle on the cans to cover large areas. I also pop out the red spray nozzle plug and push in a red tub like what you find on WD-40 or carb cleaner. That creates a jet of paint that you can send about 2 feet and plaster the hard to get to areas.

I try to do this long before any rust appears and while the vehicle is relatively clean and dry. It has worked great on everything I did it to. With the Toyota Truck, I had one the same year as a friend. We both had the vehicles for about 10 plus years. He never did any rust protection. My truck was sold to a friend, his sold to his mom. So we saw them for the past 15 years beyond the rust protection I did and I can say that it made a HUGE difference. His truck was a rust bucket after 15 years. My truck, minimal rust. Mainly where it was beaten up on the trails underneath. while I had it, I occasionally reapplied more paint for a new "look". The effects were evident though. I live in eastern PA so we see our share of salt, slush, rain and snow. When I get my 2014 Rubicon, I'll be doing the same deal again. Yes, it's messy. I do it in the grass. Yes it stinks for a while. But well worth the $30 in cans of commonly found Gloss Black Rustoleum. Oh, and I'd highly recommend Rustoleum over other brands. It seems to adhere far better than other black paint I've used. Bonds well with whatever I've put it on, even mild surface rust and prevents it from spreading. Good stuff. Look for the big 33% more for free cans.
Froader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Most manufactures state that rustproofing is not necessary, but....

I feel it makes a HUGE difference in rust-belt areas like Cleveland. I am in the Northeast Ohio area and had my 2006 TJ rustproofed when new at Ziebart. After 98,000 miles and many winters with tons of road salt, the undercarriage still looks great.

Same with a 2011 JK which had Ziebart when new, and now has 42,000 miles and again, the undercarriage looks great.

I highly recommend Ziebart. I got just the undercoating, not the full rustproofing which consists of drilling holes in doors, etc.

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgnarw View Post
There was a thread on here a few years back about a guy mixing lindseed oil, a wax toilet ring and a quart of motor oil. I wish I could find it.
There is a mixture like that - paraffin wax and oil of some sort. I'll ask my bud to see exactly what it is.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froader View Post
What I do is buy several cans of gloss black Rustoleum spray paint. Then cover the body with a sheet or tarp (overspray). I put old cloths on, bandana over the hair, a face mask and a decent breathing mask made to filter paint fumes. Then climb under and coat everything.

True. Anybody can crawl underneath a brand-new JK and realize that the tub is only coated by a super-thin coat of primer with no paint. It is shocking, really.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
obiefox
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I shoot my Jeeps down with Fluid Film just as the weather turns. It lasts most of the winter with just a little touch up after car washes. Keeps everything like new.
obiefox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #25
meepcorp
2014 JK Wrangler 

I live on the East Coast of Canada, we get lots of rust here. I have a 2010 that I didn't get undercoated and was starting to see some surface rust and bubbling on the quarter panels. I cleaned up the rust a bit and undercoated it this year. When I bought my 2014 I got it professionally undercoated for $150. There are all kinds of equivalent methods that you can do yourself at home, but when you compare the costs it is one of those things that I think is easier to just pay for rather than to do myself.

The Dealership threw in one of the electronic, cathodic protection modules on my 2014, but it only works on components that it is in contact with. There are too many insulators between components and parts for it to really work effectively so that's why I get it undercoated as well.
meepcorp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #26
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
There is a mixture like that - paraffin wax and oil of some sort. I'll ask my bud to see exactly what it is.
Cool thanks. Although I park my TJ in the winter so it won't rust out, I still drive my XJ all year 'round. I hate salt season which runs from about late November to sometime in March.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiefox View Post
I shoot my Jeeps down with Fluid Film just as the weather turns. It lasts most of the winter with just a little touch up after car washes. Keeps everything like new.

Can you post a pic of an older vehicle? Specifically the underside. I've been considering Fluid Film as an alternative to the greasy mess that's Rick Fennel Undercoating.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.