Rustproofing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rustproofing

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
vacman11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rustproofing

Sorry new to site is there a thread on rustproofing Wrangler , being in the rust belt here in Cleveland, thanks

vacman11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I don’t recall seeing one and I doubt you really need to do anything more to protect it. I imagine that most modern vehicles manufacturers go out of their way to add plenty of protection in that department. Perhaps just clean your Jeep every now and then and forget about it.

Since I don’t live in the “rust belt” I could be wrong but other than going to extreme’s I really wouldn’t worry myself over it.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Rust sucks, I only own a xj and it's my worst enemy.

I might be stepping up to a jk here soon, and I plan on doing some kind of rust proofing.

However after you drive on a lot of salt it's good to spray it off, helps a lot
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, go to NAPA, buy an air gun (you need a compressor), some "red" rust check, and a 5-gallon bucket of their Napa-brand rustproofing (the snotty stuff). Total cost just over $100 (Canada).

Go home, spray the "red" stuff around your body, doors, and into all of the fine gaps. Then use the air gun to whollop the bottom tub, inside the chassis, mounting points on the axles, inside bumpers, inside body panels, etc. The only limits being: a) how messy you want it (or don't mind it) and b) try to stay away from the exhaust - it smells like burning crayons when your driving and kinda makes you nervous (haha). You should have enough left over to do three cars - or the same JK for the next three years.

It is very messy! But it is cheap and it works. If you're meticulous, it will be a better job than the rust-prevention shops.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

So has anyone just left the JK’s alone as far as adding extra rust proofing and for the most part been problem free?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
SamM

www.couplertec.com
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have some electric gadget the dealer put on for me. I've heard good things. I'm in Canada so it's a fair concern.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Lol, cathodic/galvanic protection (what the device is supposed to emulate) only works on ships and boats, unless you're planning on parking your Jeep in the ocean.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a'99 XJ with 180,000 milesthat had full underbody coating and rust is minimal to non existent on this thing. It's amazing.

Bolts are pretty bad but the unibody is rock solid.

When I had a wrangler I cleaned the frame and axles and painted them every spring.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
So has anyone just left the JK’s alone as far as adding extra rust proofing and for the most part been problem free?
A buddy of mine has a 2010. There are no spots forming on the body or frame, but everything else is well coated in surface rust. Without doing something, your Jeep will disintegrate from under you in the rust belt.

I just got my 2014 and noticed that Chrysler left plenty of places for moisture and salt to lay untouched. Most likely I'll have it undercoated professionally before the salt flies.
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best thing to do, and I have done this for years with great results,
After a storm, and all the salt goes down. Once the road is dry, usually a day or two later. Hit the pressure washer at the local car wash. I usually get down, do underneath, and everywhere I possibly can get. If you keep the jeep clean. It helps alot. And once spring arrives I pull all the inner fenders and drag me pressure washer out and pressure wash the heck out of it.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
mello

Give it the POR 15 treatment, the best rust prevention technique out there hands down. It can even be applied directly over rust and it will stop it in its tracks and prevent new build up.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Por 15
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
Best thing to do, and I have done this for years with great results,
After a storm, and all the salt goes down. Once the road is dry, usually a day or two later. Hit the pressure washer at the local car wash. I usually get down, do underneath, and everywhere I possibly can get. If you keep the jeep clean. It helps alot. And once spring arrives I pull all the inner fenders and drag me pressure washer out and pressure wash the heck out of it.
The best way to keep rust at bay,wash and wash often and pay more attention to the undercarriage then the shiny painted parts.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My grandfather showed me how to prevent rust recently, not sure how successful it will be, but its worth a shot. He said he used to take empty plastic spray bottles, and would take a couple quarts of oil, put them in the spray bottle, crawl under the vehicle, and spray away.
95YJMountie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.