Rust Proofing the area under hood vent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust Proofing the area under hood vent?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
shamu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rust Proofing the area under hood vent?

The area directly below the windshield (under the hood vent, down near the windshield wiper motor) seems to hold alot of water after a rain/wash, etc. I'm wondering if this is an area that I should use high temp "undercoating" and coat to prevent rust? Product recommendations? Drain?

If so... anyone have experience taking that "grill" off...

Newbie worried about rust...

Thanks!

shamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Croce
2009 JK Wrangler 

I dont see why not. Couldn't hurt. to take it off i believe you first needs to remove the wipers then there are 4 screws to remove and it should pop right off. I like to use rustoleum undercoating or Rustoleum Rust proof spray paint
[CENTER][B][COLOR="black"]2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited[/COLOR][/B] | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel [/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/"][COLOR="yellow"]Jeep Owners Manual[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
SLIM_SNOOPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I dont see why not. Couldn't hurt. to take it off i believe you first needs to remove the wipers then there are 4 screws to remove and it should pop right off. I like to use rustoleum undercoating or Rustoleum Rust proof spray paint
As what Croce said, plus you will need to remove the 4 plastic anchors on the middle right,,,, where the air vent is. You will need a anchor removal tool, found at many auto care centers. Usually between $5-$10. Be careful when using the tool in this area, could scratch the paint, use some good electrical tape over the tool edge " where it is going to rub against on the paint surface" to stop any damage. Instaed of painting , you can use some liquid wax.

My 2 cents...........

SLIM_SNOOPY
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
shamu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm... instead of painting use a sealer/wax combo.. maybe like once, twice a year, or before the winter...

thanks!

I think that is an easier approach...
shamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cowl vent , JK Wrangler , removal , rust proofing , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.