Rust - 2008 2 door Saraha JK! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust - 2008 2 door Saraha JK!

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
fitz_brad
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rust - 2008 2 door Saraha JK!

I am sure this has been discussed in detail before, so I apologize but I coudln't find exactly what I was looking for -

My 08 JK is beginning to rust on the muffler and I've read horror stories about what a hassle it is to get things with rust taken care under warranty. So a few questions -

1. Is rust covered? I live in Maryland, so we get a decent amount of rain/snow most years.
2. I've had the Jeep about a year and 3 months, should I try and get it taken care of now?
3. Is it really a big deal?

I love my Jeep, this is currently the second I've ever owned and I keep it in pretty nice shape - washing it about once every few weeks in the summer, etc. I owe a lot of money on it still, so I want to keep it in excellent running and physical condition as I plan to own it for years to come!

Thanks for any replies ahead of time!,

Brad

fitz_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
ncb

No warranty on a rusty muffler. Wire brush the rust and paint the muffler with flat black Rustoleum or barbecue paint.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

1) no
2) No, dont worry, your muffler can rust off and its still not a big deal.
3) see answer 2.

like NCB said, if its bothring you, scrape off the rust and flat black it. I think mine was rusty the day it came off the lot.
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
fitz_brad
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, I am going to keep an eye on the door hinges now that I see people have been having issues with them.
fitz_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

It's not a Jeep, but my previous car, a 1998 Acura Integra, had its entire exhaust system rusted over from the headers to the muffler. As far as I know, its standard for the exhaust system to be rusty. As long as its surface rust, your good to go.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Boomer19
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah I have a 07 and rust on the hinges... dealer is working on it right now
Boomer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Keeping the hinges lubed is pretty easy, but even if you don't and it becomes a real problem in five years...they are cheap and easy to replace with aftermarket parts! Just like a lot of stuff on Wranglers - that's part of the attraction.

Every time I change a tail-light bulb in 2 minutes, with a screwdriver, from outside the vehicle, I remember why I love my YJ.

When I attempt the same thing in my Passat, lying in the trunk with a pen light in my mouth, trying to wrestle some delicate plastic and 15 wire connectors past the 6-CD changer...I want to replace it with another Wrangler.
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.