Rugged Ridge XHD Non Winch Bumper Stronger than Bumper w/ Winch Plate??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rugged Ridge XHD Non Winch Bumper Stronger than Bumper w/ Winch Plate???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
mlupacchino

Rugged Ridge XHD Non Winch Bumper Stronger than Bumper w/ Winch Plate???

After seeing this picture of the Rugged ridge XHD front bumper w/ winch plate, I saw just how much material is cut out from the stock stubby.

Compare that to the non winch plate version,

It seems to me that the winch plate version wouldn't stand up to a direct impact as well as the non winch mount version due to the larger cut out portion meant for the winch. What do you guys think? Am I correct in this assertion, or would the winch plate bumper without the winch hold up about as well to a direct impact to the front of the bumper?

mlupacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlupacchino View Post
After seeing this picture of the Rugged ridge XHD front bumper w/ winch plate, I saw just how much material is cut out from the stock stubby.

Compare that to the non winch plate version,

It seems to me that the winch plate version wouldn't stand up to a direct impact as well as the non winch mount version due to the larger cut out portion meant for the winch. What do you guys think? Am I correct in this assertion, or would the winch plate bumper without the winch hold up about as well to a direct impact to the front of the bumper?
No links , , ,

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
SETXWarrior
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the winch mount version. In a direct impact, the first thing to make contact would most likely be the recovery points, which are connected directly to the frame. I don't think one would be any better/worse than the other.

Conversely, with the winch mount version you also have the frame of the winch to add rigidity to the center of the bumper.
SETXWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
mlupacchino

If you did not have a winch, which bumper do you think would be stronger?
mlupacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

IMHO- it is a moot point.

First and foremost- either one is much stronger than the stock bumper.

secondly- if someone is purchasing the winch version, that means they intend to add a winch. Once you add a winch and winchplate in there, the strength is as good (if not better) than the non winch version

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I dont think I would want either bumper to withstand an impact... I mean force has to go somewhere. If it doesnt bend the bumper... what part of the Jeep would you like for it to bend? For what its worth, when I had the winch version I hit it on rocks, trees, dirt mounds and it never bent.
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
SETXWarrior
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlupacchino View Post
If you did not have a winch, which bumper do you think would be stronger?
Like I said, "I don't think one would be any better/worse than the other."
SETXWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Tornado
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Once you add a winch and winchplate in there, the strength is as good (if not better) than the non winch version
Do you need to add a winch plate? Doesn't the winch mount right into the winch mount version?
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.