Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier Installation Review & Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier Installation Review & Tips

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier Installation Review & Tips

I was going to post this in my other thread but I felt it was deserving of its own. So yesterday I finally finished tweaking my bumper install that I kicked off last weekend. It was a real PITA getting everything up to par. Here's a few things I ran into:

Problem: Holes on bumper did not line up with holes on frame mounts.

Solution: With body mount bolts loose on one side and bumper bolts inserted and loose on the other side I stuck a large screwdriver in one of the holes and applied leverage to line up the shackle holes while I inserted the bolts.

Problem: Tailgate would hit latch plate tower when opening.

Solution: Moved passenger side shackle mount as far towards the driver side as possible.

Problem: Latch was not at the same level as latch plate and could not be closed.

Solution: Installed all the shims the kit came with between the ramp & bottom of tire carrier and ground down a bit of the bottom of the end of the latch.

Problem: Latch required an amazing amount of force to close and secure tire carrier.

Solution: Drilled out the holes on the latch plate and moved it as far towards the driver side as I could. Moved the latch & handle assembly as far towards the passenger side as possible. Ground down the tip of the latch.

Problem: Gap between bottom of fender flair and top of bumper was twice as large on the passenger side.

Solution: Placed 3-4 washers under the top bolt holes on the driver side tire carrier shackle mount between the bumper and the body mounts to level the bumper.

Problem: Tire jiggles & wiggles left to right when hitting bumps and on bumpy roads and kind of whenever.

Solution: Adjusted the tire carrier arm inward to bring the tire closer to the tire carrier's center of mass. Didn't completely get rid of the issue, but it helped.

Unread 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's enough PROBLEMS to keep me away from that product. I'm glad you got it all squared away though.
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJK09 View Post
That's enough PROBLEMS to keep me away from that product. I'm glad you got it all squared away though.
haha yeah, you certainly get what you pay for, although now that most of the problems have been taken care of I do have to be honest and say I like it.
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

Pics Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGScotty View Post
Pics Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanna get some up but it's been rainy and overcast every time I have the opportunity!

I have to admit, as big of a pain in the *** it has been, for a $670 dollar bumper & tire carrier it looks damn good
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rugged ridge is definitely on my list for new bumpers. 90% sure Im going with their modular stubby/ skid plate combo for the front. Still debating if I should get their rear to match. Cant wait to see pics!
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Donít you have a garage or something from where you can take pics? Weíre like babies and need our pic ba baís. Also does this mean you didnít take pics of the install?
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Rugged ridge is definitely on my list for new bumpers. 90% sure Im going with their modular stubby/ skid plate combo for the front. Still debating if I should get their rear to match. Cant wait to see pics!
From what I've read (after I got my rear) the front bumpers are amazing in terms of quality (and obviously looks as well). The rear's have the looks, but the quality isn't exactly par to their front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Donít you have a garage or something from where you can take pics? Weíre like babies and need our pic ba baís. Also does this mean you didnít take pics of the install?
I do!!! In fact my hours of installation and adjusting occurred in my garage. I even took about 15 pics, but the lighting was terrible and I deleted them. And no, I didn't take pics of the install, although I could tell you step by step how to do it at this point :P
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Finally took some pics!

Unread 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Dumontra
2009 JK Wrangler 

VERY, VERY nice looking!
Dumontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumontra View Post
VERY, VERY nice looking!
Thanks!

BTW I figured out this problem:

Problem: Tire jiggles & wiggles left to right when hitting bumps and on bumpy roads and kind of whenever.

I should have read the install directions better. The inside of the tire is actually supposed to rest up against the tire carrier. The jiggles are gone now.
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

I installed this bumper without the tire carrier. I really love it. I yanked a Yukon Denali XL out of the snow uphill with one of the D-Rings on the back.

I wouldn't say the install is difficult because of the quality, it is difficult because you are trying to line up 24 holes at one time...kinda. If you keep the bolts on the plate that mount the bumper to the frame loose while you install the 8 bolts that mount the bumper to the mounting plate it's not to bad. Once you get the 8 bolts on the outside done you line everything up and level it then you tighten the mounting brackets. It can be difficult but it's worth it because this bumper looks and feels indestructible. I'm really happy with it.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yup, good lookin Jeep.
Unread 04-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
drvnwheel
2013 JK Wrangler 

I also installed the Rugged Ridge rear bumper. Install went well, just kept all the bolts loose until in everything was in place then tightened everything up. About 6 months later, then installed the tire carrier (it was not available when I purchased the rear bumper). Tire carrier install also went well.
BTW, also installed the Rugged Ridge front bumper and side rails.
Great products, looks great too. No doubt they appear to be "rugged".
drvnwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it a PITA opening two gates every-time you need to access the cargo area?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.