Rugged Ridge Lift Kits? Opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rugged Ridge Lift Kits? Opinions?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
PolarBearCO
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge Lift Kits? Opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-18401-60-ORV-Suspension/dp/B001FANSN0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308165166&sr=8-3
I can find no reviews or mention of this kit on Google, here, anywhere! Certainly someone has put this thing on. Looks fairly complete for $800ish. Can anyone suggest this thing? I have $300 in credit at Amazon and if this is indeed a decent kit I'd like to grab it.

Only concern I have is that I have the RR XHD front bumper. I'm a little disappointed in the completeness of the bumper kit... not the bumper itself, but the instructions. There is NO mention of torque specification at all. This bumper is going to be used with a 8000-lb winch. Bolts need to be torqued properly for maximum strength (or minimized weakness). Others that have installed the bumper simply said they tightened to the point they figured the bumper wasn't going anywhere. Just seems like a major oversight, but I guess that's what we get buying Chinese in a Walmart world.

Anyway, back to the lift. Anyone recommend? Thanks.

PolarBearCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearCO View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1...8165166&sr=8-3

I can find no reviews or mention of this kit on Google, here, anywhere! Certainly someone has put this thing on. Looks fairly complete for $800ish. Can anyone suggest this thing? I have $300 in credit at Amazon and if this is indeed a decent kit I'd like to grab it.

Only concern I have is that I have the RR XHD front bumper. I'm a little disappointed in the completeness of the bumper kit... not the bumper itself, but the instructions. There is NO mention of torque specification at all. This bumper is going to be used with a 8000-lb winch. Bolts need to be torqued properly for maximum strength (or minimized weakness). Others that have installed the bumper simply said they tightened to the point they figured the bumper wasn't going anywhere. Just seems like a major oversight, but I guess that's what we get buying Chinese in a Walmart world.

Anyway, back to the lift. Anyone recommend? Thanks.
I have no idea on what your plans are, but for a JK, a 4-5" lift is huge.

Even if this kit looks complete, there is going to be a lot of other things you are going to need to upgrade (driveshafts are the first to come to mind.)

Also, I wouldn't sweat the instructions too much. Look at the Teraflex instruction sheets and you will understand what I mean....
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
PolarBearCO
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Driveability is a must before anything else. I don't drive it that much in the city, but 15 miles a day is 15 miles a day. With the sag I was thinking I wouldn't quite get 4" out of it. I've got a bumper and winch on the front which probably added 120 lbs or so. I didn't weight the original bumper but it wasn't very heavy.

I'm thinking 35", and I'm aware of the other things I'll most likely have to bolt on. I'm just trying to compare an $800 RR 4" lift to a $1600-2400 lift of other brands.
PolarBearCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

You don't need a lift at all to run 35's, just flat fenders. Stick with 2.5 inches.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you're trying to run 35's then you definitely don't need 4-5 inches of lift, even if it sags... and as some others have stated, you're going to need to spend a lot more money to make it reliable and functional at 5-6 inches of lift...
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone actually used this lift? Any opinions on the lift, ride, quality etc.
cjsanford8623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

a good lift is measured by the REAR. the front will be at least 1" more. Few would run a 700$ 4 inch lift, really? The drive shafts are going to cost about a grand. That kits is missing SO many parts for 4-5 lift it should be not legal to even sell, run.
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

The RC kits are known for putting out a cheap, incomplete lifts with coils that sag bad over time. As stated in the ad they are factory coil rates which means that they don't handle extra weight very well. The control arms are not adjustable and they only give you 1/2 of what you need to re-center the axles in the wheel wells with that much lift, thats why they state up to 35" tires, anything bigger would require lots of cutting of the tub to keep from rubbing.
This kit will actually pull your axles towards the center of the jeep and reduce your wheel base. The extreme height will make your jeep feel top heavy and will lean more in turns and at high speed like on/off ramps. On the trails climbing will be hampered due the the shorter wheel base and the long coils unloading and increase the chance of a roll over. At 4" without a high steer kit you will likely experience something called bump steer where when you hit a bump the steering wheel will move a lot and cause the jeep to swerve. At 4" of lift your driveshaft cv seal will wear out after a couple thousand miles and will have to be replaced. At that hight your shocks will have no down travel. Trimmed flat fenders and wheel spacers or new wheels with a back spacing of 4-4.5" will allow you to run 35's with mb a 3/4"-1" coil spacer up front to compensate for your heavy bumper.

Some things missing from this kit are:
Extended front and rear sway bar links. $100-$200
Adjustable track bars. $250-300
High steer kit with drag link flip. $250-$500
Adjustable control arms. $1000-$1500
Front and rear driveshafts. $600-$1000
Long travel shocks. $300-$600
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearCO View Post
I'm just trying to compare an $800 RR 4" lift to a $1600-2400 lift of other brands.
An $800 lift kit is not going to be anything close to decent, especially if it's made by Rugged Ridge. And no, this thing is nowhere near complete.

I've always maintained that a lift that costs less than $1,000 usually gauges between garbage and bad, $1,000-$2,000 are between decent and good, and $2,000 and up are good to great. There are always exceptions, of course, depending on your wheeling habits and if you build in stages.

3.5" is more than enough for 35's. Anything more than that on 35" tires is going to look silly. Save your money and buy a quality kit. Rugged Ridge makes some cool stuff, but is not a name synonymous with quality.
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Bobby1990
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So what can I expect with a 4.5" rugged ridge kit w/shocks? Sagging, rough ride? Ect.? Help
Bobby1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1990 View Post
So what can I expect with a 4.5" rugged ridge kit w/shocks? Sagging, rough ride? Ect.? Help
we are talking Jk right. This is the Jk tech.

the drive lines will be gone in a few miles. Then the arms you get will need to be replaced with ones that adjust. to use a cardan shafts

death wobble/ steering will be twitchy. looks like it has a raised Tb but no Dl flip means bump steering.

Springs are known to sag uneven. they are very cheep china made not varible pitched.

I would avoid these kits. There is a reason that kits over 3" get into the 1k per inch.
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you think this is a complete kit you need to do a lot more research. As a rule of thumb it will be atleast $700 per inch of lift that you want to keep good ride quality and have all the parts you need to have a good suspension set up. Search the internet and this forum for how to lift a JK. You have not done nearly enough research if you did not laugh at this kit when you saw it. I did.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
All of the above and then some.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You can expect crap. Rugged Ridge can barely manufacture simple products made out of plastic correctly, so I don't know why you'd trust them to make a decent lift.
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ
....if you did not laugh at this kit when you saw it. I did.
I LOL'd and threw up a little...

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.