rubicon vs x with mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon vs x with mods

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
txjfrosty
2010 JK Wrangler 

rubicon vs x with mods

ok, i'm still a truck owner, but am considering going to a wrangler. While i am continueing to research the site for info... one thing keeps coming up in my head...

I don't really do any aggressive off roading, and most of my driving is and will continue to be on road.

Having said all that... here is my question. what do you think is the best way to go:

1. buy a rubicon (4dr) and still need to spend the $$ for a lift, re-gearing and 35's anyway...

or

2. buy the X, save a ton of cash not getting all the creature comforts i really don't need or want, and have more cash for a lift, gears and tires?

keep in mind that i could care less about power windows and doors, etc. And, even if i get a Rubi i would likely have to spend to get the gears I want, lift and tires.

although the Rubi comes with more for off roading, most of my driving being on the road, do i need the extra's that a Rubi comes with. Is it worth it to just bite the bullet and get the Rubi, then do the mods i want after...

am I missing something, or not considering something.

I will likely be making my decision within the next two months. I drove both an X 4dr and an X 2dr yesterday... loved them both!!!!

But the X is considerably less than the Rubi...

Thanks in advance...

txjfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if your onroad more and want the rugged look with lift and tires then go for X and lift it. there is no point in buying a rubi if your not gonna put the 4:1 TC and lockers to use
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
txjfrosty
2010 JK Wrangler 

Solid! That was my thought too... but i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something...

i know it can get addicting, and was also wondering if anyone else did the X build up and regretted not just buying a Rubi from the start...
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a rubi and wish I had bought the x but that is cause im about to scape the axles for dana 60's
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjfrosty View Post
Solid! That was my thought too... but i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something...

i know it can get addicting, and was also wondering if anyone else did the X build up and regretted not just buying a Rubi from the start...
there are always rubi regrets, even in my case i bought a X (TJ) and built it up, would it be nice to have the 4:1 and air lockers, but to me the fun was building a base model into something that will whip up on the Rubi
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

rubi's can only be engaged in low range which somtimes can be too low for some of the things I do
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
txjfrosty
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
I have a rubi and wish I had bought the x but that is cause im about to scape the axles for dana 60's
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
there are always rubi regrets, even in my case i bought a X (TJ) and built it up, would it be nice to have the 4:1 and air lockers, but to me the fun was building a base model into something that will whip up on the Rubi
that's exactly what i was wanting to hear bro....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
rubi's can only be engaged in low range which somtimes can be too low for some of the things I do
Cool - and since most of my driving will be on the road, beach or easy trails... the Rubi is not needed then.
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
jd1066
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought an X over the Rubi. It is my first Jeep, and I wanted to save a little for mods. Based on the mods that I have done so far, I'm just about in Rubi territory as far as pricing.

My $.02 - buy the X. You can build the front Dana 30 up just as strong (or stronger) that the 44 on the Rubi for relatively cheap. Sleeves, gussets and chromoly axles are on my build list for the D30. I'll never run 37's on this one, so modding the 30 will work fine for me. I may do lockers some day, but have never had a 4x4 before, so I'm learning to wheel with out them.

The Rubi is very nice, but I'm having fun adding and changing things that I want.

If I had it to do over again, the only change that I'd have made would have been getting a hard top.

Whichever one you choose, have a blast with it!

JD
jd1066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have a 2007 Sahara with 3.21's that was lifted 2" with 31" Nitto 305/70-16" wheels at the Stealer (they swapped out the 18's?) . Went to one of our area dealers and looked at 2 substantially reduced in price Rubi's. After driving both, since I don't do the off roading that the Rubi is renound for, I didn't see where it was worth it or benificial to me to go upside down and increase my payment. However, my 3.21 6 speed was plesently outmatched by the 4.10's in the Rubi 6 speed and i was surprised by the 4 speed auto also . Bottom line, I didn't see enough, for me, to warrant the switch. I think you probably would find things similar with the X..or Sahara might be another option.
Good luck. Either way I think you'll enjoy the JK, as long as you gear it properly....i think thats the key to enjoyment.

cass
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

As stated earlier it will depend on what you will use the Jeep for. The X is quite capable by itself.

If you are into or want to get into more serious off-roading then buy yourself a Rubi.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
txjfrosty
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the great info guys...

one more question for you... living up in the north, and seeing how whatever i buy will be a daily driver... how do both the 2 and 4dr handle in snowy conditions, lifted with 35's?

Coming from a 1/2 ton 4x4 p/u i am concerned about the short wheel base and light vehicle in the snow...

Thanks again
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

check out the link in my sig...

...why spend the money on a rubi? sure d44 front, auto lockers, elec disco, and 4:10 gears would be nice, but i've taken mine most of the way to rubi for a fraction of the cost.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I also went with the X because of the cheap price. I had $25k from the insurance company and the X was 20k out the door. The other 5k was just enough for a good lift and 35"s. I have yet to feel the need for the lower gears and the 07 came with 4.10s so I could live with 35's before a gear change for a little while atleast. Beach driving/dunes I would find VERY hard to handle with a 4:1 low just cause there is not enough speed for the climbing I do and High is just too underpowered for short bursts of power. I was in snow for a little bit this year and it felt almost like sand when driving though it, was very impressed with the performace in about 2-3 feet of snow. I really dont see the need for a ruby unless rock climbing is the primary offroading practice, and even then an X will do just fine for a lot of it besides for when the lockers come in handy.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
jd1066
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 2 door is fine in the snow with 35's - but I have been driving up here for 20 years.

I still see SUV's all over the place in the snow because the drivers think they are invincible because the have all or 4wd.

You'll be fine in a 2 door as long as you realize that 4wd isn't a license to drive 70 mph on ice covered roads!

JD
jd1066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

4DR will be easier to drive in the snow due to the longer wheel base.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.