Rubicon Transfer Case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Transfer Case?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon Transfer Case?

Hi Guys,

I just traded in my 97 TJ and bought a new 2010 JK unlimited Rubicon. I've been messing with a few features and have noticed some things I want to double check are normal.

- When shifting from 2H to 4H at a stop the transfer case lever will not move into 4H unless I move the jeep up or back a foot or so. It also appears I can jerk on the handle extremely hard to get it in 4H but this doesn't feel right. Is this normal? Can someone explain for me? Is it the teeth that aren't matching up?

- When in 4L and both the front and rear axles are locked I am having a problem unlocking the lockers. I will hit the top button to shut off the lockers but it appears I have to turn the wheel side to side to get the front locker to disengage. Both the rear and front locker lights flash until I move forward about 5 feet, then the rear goes out. When I move the wheel side to side with force the front will go out. If I don't turn the wheel I was able to drive in 2H with the front locker engaged. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help in advance!

smooth9883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Everything you mention is normal. Transfer cases need to move a little for the gears to mesh. Lockers need to move a little to disengage.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Until you have shifted it several times, you will need to be moving slowly to shift the trasfer case smoothly.

Also, there is an awesome book in your glove box with all kinds of great information on these types of things. It's a pretty decent read, I highly recommend it.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's normal in my TJ for it to be hard to get into 4Hi when not moving.
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
omgwtfbbqcopter

yep, until it breaks in, or "wears together" it'll be difficult to shift into 4H without moving.
omgwtfbbqcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

All your comments sound normal to me.....Shifting from 2H to 4H is the only thing that sounds a little off, but it might just need to be warn in a little. When shifting into 4H from 2H there is no problem with the jeep moving, I have done it plenty of times even going upwards of 40+mph on the sand dunes. If the jeep is stopped then it will be harder for the teeth to line up, so that might be why it feels jurky. Try with the jeep moving and Im betting it will go in much easier.
The lockers are normal as well, it takes turning the wheel sometimes to get them unlocked because there is too much pressure on the gears when making a turn to get them unlocked. Usually if I straighten the tires out they will unlock without a problem, if not turning the wheels from side to side have always worked for me.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If there is torque built up in the locker, the square teeth on the dog clutch will hard to pull apart.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I was wondering if it was a matter of use. From what I've heard everything you guys are saying is what I have experienced. If moving going from 2H-4H is not a problem.

BAMAJK - My 2010 didn't come with a book in the glovebox. But I did review the DVD that came with it and your right, it is a great read. The strange thing about the owners manual is that it recommends going from 4H-4L coasting at 2-3 mph. This seemed strange to me since all other vehicles I've owned and operated indicate to be stopped and not moving. I tried what the OH recommended and boy will I never do that again. Severe grinding of the gears.
smooth9883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

When shifting to 4low sometimes it wont go in the first try if the teeth are not lined up already. Just coast it like 1mph and it should slip right in. Sense I have a manual I can shift it to like 5th-6th gear and now I dont get any grinding, just takes a little practice.

FYI there is a little plastic clip that links the shifter to the TC that tends to snap with too much pressure...Just dont try and force it into gear or you might be stuck in 4H/4L. Zip ties come in really handy for doing a temp. fix.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth9883 View Post
Thanks guys! I was wondering if it was a matter of use. From what I've heard everything you guys are saying is what I have experienced. If moving going from 2H-4H is not a problem.

BAMAJK - My 2010 didn't come with a book in the glovebox. But I did review the DVD that came with it and your right, it is a great read. The strange thing about the owners manual is that it recommends going from 4H-4L coasting at 2-3 mph. This seemed strange to me since all other vehicles I've owned and operated indicate to be stopped and not moving. I tried what the OH recommended and boy will I never do that again. Severe grinding of the gears.
If you want a hard copy of the manual, call Jeep, give them the VIN and they will send one out to you if you are the first owner.
Unread 10-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Like everyone else said it takes some break in before it will shift easy... Mine has 35K and 400-500+ shifts to and from 4x4 and its just now getting smooth.

Important point, don't force it. The linkage has a weak plastic link in it (Intentionally I guess). If it sticks in 4 low and you break it... its a PITA to get it shifted back to 2WD.
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
FYI there is a little plastic clip that links the shifter to the TC that tends to snap with too much pressure...Just dont try and force it into gear or you might be stuck in 4H/4L. Zip ties come in really handy for doing a temp. fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
Important point, don't force it. The linkage has a weak plastic link in it (Intentionally I guess). If it sticks in 4 low and you break it... its a PITA to get it shifted back to 2WD.
I'm a new jeep owner so I will ask,, if this breaks how does one fix it.. I still need to review the owners manual but I highly doubt this is in there...
any pictures showing this?
thanks
goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

If I remember, the manual even says 2hi to 4hi (and opposite) can be done up to 80kmh...
4hi to 4lo (and opposite) should be done while the wheels are "moving", but I would not say 3-5mph...
Just slow down, let the Jeep almost stop, but just before you stop, switch. Like on the last 1/4 wheel turn...
Works perfect for me, only got grinding once, the first time I tried it!
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball View Post
I'm a new jeep owner so I will ask,, if this breaks how does one fix it.. I still need to review the owners manual but I highly doubt this is in there...
any pictures showing this?
thanks
Bump.... I was hoping someone knew this answer... of course a possible field repair job. thanks
goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There are some threads that address the field repair.

1. You can crawl under and move the lever by hand.

2. You can reinstall the cable onto the lever and zip-tie it in place until you get the new clip.

3. You can have some spare clips on hand, and install the cable, using a new clip (part # 68064273AA).

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.