Rubicon Shock question? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Please give me some details on how the Rubi shocks are better. I'm looking for a smoother higher quality ride than the stock Sport S shocks provide. Are the Rubi shocks going to deliver?

Is there a reasonably priced aftermarket shock that makes the 2 door Sport S ride a little better than it does?
For a smoother ride, the Rubicon shocks are not better.
A quality aftermarket shock will give a smoother ride.

Just my opinion, yours will differ.
Proud owner of: '09 Rubicon Unlimited, '90 XJ, '88 XJ, '77 J-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 05-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AngryRedBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
I have rubi sshocks for anyone that could pick them up around Wilkes Barre PA. Free
@Jared89

Hold that thought.. cause we haven't got those Scorpions yet.. and just for the record.. how many miles on the shocks upon extraction?..
post #18 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

If the red shocks don't give a better quality ride, why bother? Is there something I'm missing?

post #19 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 AM
AngryRedBird

Missing?.. no This is just an easy yet simply upgrade stance and height wise.. going from the factory low shocks to the rubicons doesn't make much difference.. but does allow one to add coil spacers or an alternate boost kit. I'm looking at this as a height issues.. adding spacers and because my old shocks have seen better days.. Adding the spacers with the rubis would have suited our needs or just until we could have opted for something better. So no there isn't any ride quality difference..
post #20 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

So, the Rubi shock isn't much different, other than length?
post #21 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
AngryRedBird

Quote:
So, the Rubi shock isn't much different, other than length?
Your words not mine.. but seem to fit the bill.
post #22 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the info. You saved me the time and hassle of Red shocks.
post #23 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can I get a better ride with aftermarket shocks?

Which ones?

I realize it's a Jeep. Just want it up to its full potential, especially if they went cheap on shocks.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 AM
AngryRedBird

Ah see now your talking.. and I'm sure Rancho among others will chime in here.. well In our case I'm hoping for a set of Scorpion shocks offered by DayStar.. I've never heard of these and thought it best to give them a try.. who knows could be something worth looking into.. Mind you on the ole muffin.. we had KYB shocks and sadly.. they didn't perform as expected.. sort of a car shock on a jeep.. which worked but wasn't very reliable. But then again.. what Can I say when Monroe didn't correct the issue and KYB stepped up to the plate.. but those days are gone.
Seems the hot topic is of course Rancho.. and I actually wanted a set.. but after finding out that one of my ex-friends sort of beat me to the punch on a free set.. and I found out how hard he was on them.. let's just say.. he didn't have the Ranchos very long..Mind you we are talking about the 9000s & the 7000s and he went through them like a hot knife through butter.. Hah about as rough as Brut4ce is on his jeep stuff..

If I had the money, I'd lean towards the either:
  • TeraFlex
  • Old Man Emu
  • Fox
  • Bilstien

In that order.. again.. this is based on the amount of lift we are looking at doing.. and I believe only two out of four of those shocks are available with a (0-2) lift minimum which is fine.

Cheap shocks run about $30.00.. I mean common no rebate etc is going to sway me from one shock to another.. It's proven history that will drive shock sales.. and my decision. But let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.. I've set my sights on a less expensive shock (not cheaply made) simply because I'd like to give them a try and no one else is taking about them..
post #25 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Bockwinkle
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. You saved me the time and hassle of Red shocks.
base black shocks are hydraulic

red rubi shocks are gas charged

there is absolutely a difference in the way they perform.

you can compress the black shocks by hand very easily....low damping coefficient

the rubi shocks take a considerably greater amount of force to compress and "move" the fluid through the internal damper.....much greater damping coefficient

I'm not saying one is better than the other.....just saying when I replaced my black shocks with the rubi shocks the ride was noticeably firmer with less nose dive on braking and less nose rise under hard acceleration.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Like 32 or 34k miles somewhere around there.

2011 rubi- 2.5" teraflex-35" nitto trail grapplers on xd addicts-shrockworks stubby bumper-20" light bar-TF proformance rotor kit - aluminum Psc crusher flares-

Tags
rubicon , shocks , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.