Rubicon Rub Rail - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Rub Rail

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #46
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute View Post
Can you take a picture of the Ruby springs next to stock, my research has shown that getting lift form a Ruby spring is a wives tale. If the height is different than that would make sense, the coil rate is no different so the height would be the only variable that could produce lift.
Actually, you have that backwards. There is little to no difference in height, only spring rate. If you go from a lower number (spring rate) coil to a higher number coil, the increase in the spring rate will result in less compresion of the spring (or lift). about 1/3" per each numerical increase over stock, assuming no other changes (old vs. new coils, added weight from extra parts, etc).

There are no Rubicon coils; there are only Jeep JK coils with different spring rates (determined by the last two numbers on the spring tag).

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Actually, you have that backwards. There is little to no difference in height, only spring rate. If you go from a lower number (spring rate) coil to a higher number coil, the increase in the spring rate will result in less compresion of the spring (or lift). about 1/3" per each numerical increase over stock, assuming no other changes (old vs. new coils, added weight from extra parts, etc).

There are no Rubicon coils; there are only Jeep JK coils with different spring rates (determined by the last two numbers on the spring tag).

Hoss
you are absolutely right and that is why putting a Ruby spring on an x other sport etc is not going to give you any lift, they might stop the Jeep from dropping as far when you put a 400 lb person in the Jeep

the Ruby springs are the Red ones, the others are black and yes they do have a different compression rate.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #48
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine are made by KC (don't think they offer them anymore)
They bolt to both the frame and the tub, and after I came down on them ONCE, they paid for themselves 5 times over.

Remember to re-paint them after you use/abuse them. They'll rust!!

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute

the Ruby springs are the Red ones, the others are black and yes they do have a different compression rate.
Where's my red springs? Mine are all black.
image-576006258.jpg

image-802239362.jpg

rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #50
rayder1

I think you'll notice a difference in ride height with a different compression rate. Take 4 equal height springs...two are lower compression rate.

Put a 2500lb plate across the two lower and another across the higher compression rate.

Logic would have that the smaller diameter coil will compress more than the two higher rated (thicker) coils.

I think there would be a noticeable difference between the ride height of two equally sized Jeeps with different rates springs. One will compress the springs more than the other. I doubt were talking inches, but enough to see.

If you think otherwise, please fill me in on the physics of the weight vs compression rating.
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #51
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

I pretty sure only the shocks are red. The springs are black.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #52
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

^^^ True.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #53
AEVBrute

Sorry, I meant Ruby shocks are red.

Whatever you say, yes you are right, sure yes. Put on Ruby springs and buy larger tires.

I feel sorry for the people that waste their time and money.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #54
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
I you can snag rubicon springs from a JKUR you will get an inch or two of lift on a two door from what I have seen and heard. It depends on what springs you are currently running (can check the stock number attached to the spring)
rayder1, this is what I was referring to. I believe what the poste was referring to is if you take a 4 dr after market kit and put it on a 2 dr you will get 1-2 inches more lift. If you read the posts you will see that people read this and are running out looking for Ruby springs and I dont want them to get false hopes. Springs are 40 dollars and that is a lot of labor to be disappointed.

I agree with what you say except the majority of the weight of the vehicle is in the frame and axles and the part of the Jeep that is not sitting on the top of the coils. It is hard to explain but I have seen bodys off and back on in hemi conversions and done long arm and short arm lifts and buggets boosts etc and Ruby springs are such a small difference that it is not even worth the convo much less the labor. If someons is going to do a spring change then put in a spring that you will really get major results from and I dont mean height alone. Watch the videos from Teraflex of the stock Ruby doing the tight turns at speed and the leaning compared to their improved handling kit.

If you want to talk about technical stuff then you are right but I am talking about a whole other world that goes out of the stock scenario. If a guy tells another that he can take a stock spring and change it with another stock spring and he thinks he is going to get lift that will possible accomodate another full inch of tire I think he might be disappointed.

A Rubicon gives you a Name on the hood and some lockers and a better resale value. The lockers, the upgraded transfer case, and the 44s are well worth the money.The springs and shocks and steering disconnect are garbage. Mine broke at 200 miles in my first Rubicon. If you ever experienced a steering (sway bar but feels like you lose steering) disconnect come disconnected at 50mph you would go ahead and rip it off now. Steering and Brakes are no joke and to think that an electronic button can cause you to lose control of your vehicle on the highway is scary. Mine have all been replaced with manual since then.
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #55
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

buying a "S" today [pick it up 2pm, cannot wait] and I want a step of sorts and a rock rail. Have some mopar $$ so that I could get the enhanced Rubi rock rail. Wonder if Smithybilt SRC Side Armor is is a better choice:

https://www.fortec4x4.com/Smittybilt...JK-2-Door.html

I notice the Side-Armor has a angled piece underneath. Is that better?

I'm not going to be doing extreme crawling. Mostly trails, fields, streams in the midwest.

Anyone who had knowledge, thoughts, opinions, experience or even not ... please give me some guidance.

Thanks,

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #56
rayder1

AEVbrute...thank you and you are correct. I disagree with your "garbage" opinions. Also...if you had issues with the sway bar disconnect coming on at 50 mph.....you definitely have an issue that would be a huge deal for Jeep and might even been reported to NHTSA. The computer won't allow it to engage out of 4x4 and defaults to engaged at 18 mph. So maybe yours shorted out and failed to re-engage.

If you had a problem then you did ALL Rubicon owners a disservice by failing to report this to Jeep, Consumer Affairs and NHTSA. I'll leave it at that.

I think you cannot get a more capable stock 4x4 period. Garbage springs and all. And yes there are better parts out there. I bought mine to wheel till the warrantee is gone then build to what I like.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #57
ncb

What's the "steering disconnect"? Are you talking about the sway bar disconnect? Unless you swerve at a high speed and hit a bus head on you won't die from the sway bar disconnecting at 50 mph.

PS-Who the **** is Ruby?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #58
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
AEVbrute...thank you and you are correct. I disagree with your "garbage" opinions. Also...if you had issues with the steering disconnect coming on at 50 mph.....you definitely have an issue that would be a huge deal for Jeep and might even been reported to NHTSA. The computer won't allow it to engage out of 4x4 and defaults to engaged at 18 mph. So maybe yours shorted out and failed to re-engage.

If you had a problem then you did ALL Rubicon owners a disservice by failing to report this to Jeep, Consumer Affairs and NHTSA. I'll leave it at that.

I think you cannot get a more capable stock 4x4 period. Garbage springs and all. And yes there are better parts out there. I bought mine to wheel till the warrantee is gone then build to what I like.
I did and was told it could not happen also, then when I proved them wrong I was told it was the Mopar lift kits fault. I stick with my garbage comment, I own that garbage also guys and am not happy about it either but never say never.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #59
AEVBrute

yes on a stock Jeep you probably could keep it under control I am sorry now I see the pics we run totally different rides, my tires are 7 inches taller than yours. my apologies, wrong sandbox

Ruby is a Rubicon, I am real sorry I am in the wrong Forum
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #60
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
buying a "S" today [pick it up 2pm, cannot wait] and I want a step of sorts and a rock rail. Have some mopar $$ so that I could get the enhanced Rubi rock rail. Wonder if Smithybilt SRC Side Armor is is a better choice:

https://www.fortec4x4.com/Smittybilt...JK-2-Door.html

I notice the Side-Armor has a angled piece underneath. Is that better?

I'm not going to be doing extreme crawling. Mostly trails, fields, streams in the midwest.

Anyone who had knowledge, thoughts, opinions, experience or even not ... please give me some guidance.

try quadratec not fortec if you want a wider variety. some of the real nice stuff only sells direct.

Thanks,

john
Smitty stuff has a textured look to it and unless you want to keep that theme throughout the entire Jeep you don't want that.

If you want the nicest combination and the highest quality step there is this is what you want.

Mopar Rock Rails that you find on a Rubicon that covers the pinch weld.

Ace Industries Sliders that mount to the frame. Last time I looked Ace was also making a welded on version, you don't want that.

The Ace Steps Come out and angle up and are very high quality fit and finish, most products don't mount to the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.