Rubicon Rub Rail - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Rub Rail

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Agreed. I don't see why people put the ace sliders on over the rock rails. The rocks rails are probably at least 40-50lbs of useless weight at that point.
Although personally I don't care at all for ace rock sliders due to the "loose" fitment, the way they hand down so much below the body.
What is a better alternative to ACE?

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Fwiw, I'm planning to do the Poison Spyder weld on rails added on to my stock rails. I have a 4dr on a leveling kit and don't want anything that hangs down at all as break over angle is crucial for my setup. I'd do the ACE but they hang down too much for my liking.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid

What is a better alternative to ACE?
Depends on what you want. I'm not saying I have a problem with their construction or anything, they just don't appeal to me.

Several companies make sliders that bolt to the body via nutserts, steel or aluminum. Teraflex, poison spyder, lots of companies who's names I can't remember at the moment. Those would be my preference. The teraflex sliders are aluminum, sit up high just under the fenders and extend out past the body for good clearance and protection, and could also be used as a step. I don't have them, but that is what I will likely use to eventually replace my rubicon rails (which have served me fine except I'd like more body protection out from the side.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
Fwiw, I'm planning to do the Poison Spyder weld on rails added on to my stock rails. I have a 4dr on a leveling kit and don't want anything that hangs down at all as break over angle is crucial for my setup. I'd do the ACE but they hang down too much for my liking.
I thought the ACE weld-on kits were attached directly to the Rubi rails therefore there is no compromise of ground clearance. I could look on their web site but Iím banking on Iím right. If Iím wrong Iíll eat some pretend dog poo.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

You're right about the ACE weld ons but I think the PS have a better step. I was referring to the bolt on over the Rubi rail version. Just throwing out a different idea.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

I put on the synergy weld on kit, welded to the Rubi rail. Gotta say I'm on the fence about them. They are definitely functional for a step, (short wife mod) and look good, but don't come with any kind of support behind the rail. So, when you step on them, the weight is applied to the pinch seam and the connecting bolts. No prob for me or the wife, but if your a big boy, it could stress the seam IMO.
http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Su...t-p-18555.html
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
bbolander
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like my Mopar enhanced rock rails with the tube added. Provide a little bit of a step and adds some distance from the body for protection including in parking lots. I had them on my 2006 LJR and came down hard on a rock and did no damage other than a little powder coat scuff where the rock hit it. They are pricey, but rock solid!
img_0920a.jpg  
2012 Rubicon Unlimited Freedom Top, Mopar rock rails, Marathon seat covers, 2" Mopar lift, Mopar Sunbonnet, Bestop Duster. Prior 2006 Rubicon Unlimited modified, 98 Cherokee Classic, Three Early Broncos
bbolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

+1 on the rico kit. Look great, have held up to everything i have thrown at it including coming down on a rock on the edge and sliding of. Also great for maneuvering around tight trees. If you live in the NW you know what i mean. I used spray on bedliner to coat them and just a quick respray after each trip.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolander View Post
I like my Mopar enhanced rock rails with the tube added. Provide a little bit of a step and adds some distance from the body for protection including in parking lots. I had them on my 2006 LJR and came down hard on a rock and did no damage other than a little powder coat scuff where the rock hit it. They are pricey, but rock solid!
That rail looks good. I like it.

Looking at Edmunds.com there is an option: Tubular Side Steps

This is on an S. Is that the same thing as the 'enhanced rock rails' you have on your Jeep?

Thanks,

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post

This is on an S. Is that the same thing as the 'enhanced rock rails' you have on your Jeep?

Thanks,

John
No. Tubular side steps are the ones you see on the Saharas...

http://www.mopar.com/part/82210571AD...4318668&b=jeep
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
bbolander
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post

Thanks,

John
no, these are the enhanced rock rails. I paid $654 at the dealer for mine and sold my stock rubi rails that came on the jeep for $150 two years ago.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82210575AC...=276354&b=jeep
2012 Rubicon Unlimited Freedom Top, Mopar rock rails, Marathon seat covers, 2" Mopar lift, Mopar Sunbonnet, Bestop Duster. Prior 2006 Rubicon Unlimited modified, 98 Cherokee Classic, Three Early Broncos
bbolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Why on earth anyone in their right mind would plastidip a rock rail is beyond me

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd like to do the Rubi Rail/ACE slider combo on my two door. Just have to find someone selling the Rubi Rails at a good price...
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I thought the ACE weld-on kits were attached directly to the Rubi rails therefore there is no compromise of ground clearance. I could look on their web site but Iím banking on Iím right. If Iím wrong Iíll eat some pretend dog poo.
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...wldonrs4dr.htm

Like our popular bolt-on sliders, they're made from industry-leading 0.134 wall thickness 2" steel tube, and are CNC mandrel bent. They have 3 stanchions that weld to the frame, with 4 gussets per stanchion to provide a rock-solid installation.

nom nom nom
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
Here's what I did. Platidip the rockers, next on are the Ace Rock Sliders. $350 for the sliders, $0 for the rubi rails. The rubi's are nice for sure, I just can't see spending almost $800 on both. Plus you save what, 40 pounds?

They're all over CL for about $100.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.