Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rubicon Rub Rail

15K views 75 replies 31 participants last post by  Yendor 
#1 ·
....The rail under the driver's and passenger's door...

Does it actually provide any protection? Or is it a glorified piece of trim?

I'm trying to figure out what I want on the sides of the Jeep ill be ordering soon.

Does anyone use the step built into some of the Rock Rails?

At this point, I'm not looking to do any rock crawling, so the emphasis is more on appearance. A little insurance would be nice, tho.

#43 ·
I dented my drivers side slider in pretty good doing rocker knocker in moab on pritchett canyon, if I had it hit it any harder it may have caused problems with closing the door.

I now have LOD sliders installed.

if you are going to do some serious wheeling get some frame mounted rock sliders.

#44 ·
Mopar Rock Rails are cost prohibative to ship so they are often sold or given away cheap.

Ace steps can be used with mopar rails
Ace steps mount to the frame. most steps dont
Mopar rock rails are used to hide the ugly pinch weld
Ace steps are the best I have ever seen hands down, they sold for 265 when they first came out
Ace designed the steps to work with the mopar rails in 2011 so the number of rails taken off since then has diminshed

#48 ·
Mine are made by KC (don't think they offer them anymore)
They bolt to both the frame and the tub, and after I came down on them ONCE, they paid for themselves 5 times over.

Remember to re-paint them after you use/abuse them. They'll rust!!

#50 ·
I think you'll notice a difference in ride height with a different compression rate. Take 4 equal height springs...two are lower compression rate.

Put a 2500lb plate across the two lower and another across the higher compression rate.

Logic would have that the smaller diameter coil will compress more than the two higher rated (thicker) coils.

I think there would be a noticeable difference between the ride height of two equally sized Jeeps with different rates springs. One will compress the springs more than the other. I doubt were talking inches, but enough to see.

If you think otherwise, please fill me in on the physics of the weight vs compression rating.

#55 ·
buying a "S" today [pick it up 2pm, cannot wait] and I want a step of sorts and a rock rail. Have some mopar $$ so that I could get the enhanced Rubi rock rail. Wonder if Smithybilt SRC Side Armor is is a better choice:

https://www.fortec4x4.com/Smittybilt-76633-SRC-Side-Armor-for-07-up-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-2-Door.html

I notice the Side-Armor has a angled piece underneath. Is that better?

I'm not going to be doing extreme crawling. Mostly trails, fields, streams in the midwest.

Anyone who had knowledge, thoughts, opinions, experience or even not ... please give me some guidance.

Thanks,

john

#60 ·
buying a "S" today [pick it up 2pm, cannot wait] and I want a step of sorts and a rock rail. Have some mopar $$ so that I could get the enhanced Rubi rock rail. Wonder if Smithybilt SRC Side Armor is is a better choice:

https://www.fortec4x4.com/Smittybilt-76633-SRC-Side-Armor-for-07-up-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-2-Door.html

I notice the Side-Armor has a angled piece underneath. Is that better?

I'm not going to be doing extreme crawling. Mostly trails, fields, streams in the midwest.

Anyone who had knowledge, thoughts, opinions, experience or even not ... please give me some guidance.

try quadratec not fortec if you want a wider variety. some of the real nice stuff only sells direct.

Thanks,

john
Smitty stuff has a textured look to it and unless you want to keep that theme throughout the entire Jeep you don't want that.

If you want the nicest combination and the highest quality step there is this is what you want.

Mopar Rock Rails that you find on a Rubicon that covers the pinch weld.

Ace Industries Sliders that mount to the frame. Last time I looked Ace was also making a welded on version, you don't want that.

The Ace Steps Come out and angle up and are very high quality fit and finish, most products don't mount to the frame.

#56 ·
AEVbrute...thank you and you are correct. I disagree with your "garbage" opinions. Also...if you had issues with the sway bar disconnect coming on at 50 mph.....you definitely have an issue that would be a huge deal for Jeep and might even been reported to NHTSA. The computer won't allow it to engage out of 4x4 and defaults to engaged at 18 mph. So maybe yours shorted out and failed to re-engage.

If you had a problem then you did ALL Rubicon owners a disservice by failing to report this to Jeep, Consumer Affairs and NHTSA. I'll leave it at that.

I think you cannot get a more capable stock 4x4 period. Garbage springs and all. And yes there are better parts out there. I bought mine to wheel till the warrantee is gone then build to what I like.

#58 ·
AEVbrute...thank you and you are correct. I disagree with your "garbage" opinions. Also...if you had issues with the steering disconnect coming on at 50 mph.....you definitely have an issue that would be a huge deal for Jeep and might even been reported to NHTSA. The computer won't allow it to engage out of 4x4 and defaults to engaged at 18 mph. So maybe yours shorted out and failed to re-engage.

If you had a problem then you did ALL Rubicon owners a disservice by failing to report this to Jeep, Consumer Affairs and NHTSA. I'll leave it at that.

I think you cannot get a more capable stock 4x4 period. Garbage springs and all. And yes there are better parts out there. I bought mine to wheel till the warrantee is gone then build to what I like.
I did and was told it could not happen also, then when I proved them wrong I was told it was the Mopar lift kits fault. I stick with my garbage comment, I own that garbage also guys and am not happy about it either but never say never.

#62 ·
Ha I ran 37's on my tj with no sway bar for 3 years all it does is make the body roll more on turns. It gets a little scary, but I never felt like it got out of control. As for the "JKUR springs" giving more lift, I was making a point that you can get lift from the stronger springs by putting them on a light 2 door. And I can replace springs in less than an hour....

#63 ·
Astennis1 said:
Ha I ran 37's on my tj with no sway bar for 3 years all it does is make the body roll more on turns. It gets a little scary, but I never felt like it got out of control. As for the "JKUR springs" giving more lift, I was making a point that you can get lift from the stronger springs by putting them on a light 2 door. And I can replace springs in less than an hour....
It does more to negatively affect your jeeps performance than just body roll. Running no away bar(s) is foolish.

#66 ·
when i trimed my rub rails at the pinch seam i didnt realize how thick they were. took almost half a cutting wheel to get through one. check my build thread for pics. i agree that the way they mount and compared to somea ftermarket rails out there they arent the greatest for protection. better than having nothing and they are thick and sturdy as hell. i havent heard anyone having problems with what they were intended for. they can take a beating.

#69 ·
I just bought a "S" and was lucky enough to pick up a set of rubi rails today. I plan on installing them and wonder if it is self evident how they are hung?

Also, the previous 3 posts talked about trimming the rails or the pinch seam [not sure which]. Which? and Why?

Thanks,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.