Rubicon Rear Locker Info (long write up; but, includes pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Rear Locker Info (long write up; but, includes pics)

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon Rear Locker Info (long write up; but, includes pics)

My Jeep 2008 Rubicon Unlimited has: 3.5Ē lift; 5.13 gears; auto trans; 35Ē tires &tc.

After 100K miles of vigorous usage my locker failed. Upon inspection, it was the connecting wires to the magnet that burned up. There are great threads in this forum that showed how to fix this and I appreciate the help given there. I tried the process listed in the other thread; but, my wires were burned into the connector so far that I couldnít get a pig tail to connect a wire to.

So, after looking at a few alternatives, I decided to replace my locker with an OEM replacement locker. That part number is 68036128AA. I found a great price at 4Wheel Parts. I got mine on sale for about $935. It was shipped directly from Chrysler. I donít work for 4Wheel Parts nor for Chrysler. The part was much more from the Dealership and I have a good dealership.

If you are going to replace your rear Rubicon locker those axles have 32 splines. If you are going to replace your front Rubicon locker those axles have 30 splines.

I looked everywhere I could think of to find just the magnet portion of the locker. I could find no details on the magnet either. I was really trying to buy just that magnet portion of the locker.

So, in an attempt to help the Jeep community, Iíve supplied some information here. Note: I am no engineer & I have only a basic caliper. The measurements are metric (inches are only close approximations). The inside diameter of the magnet is approx. 6cm. (2 3/8 inches). The width of the magnet (inside race to outside of case) is approx. 3.5cm (1 3/8 inches).

I would hope that by the time (if ever) I need another magnet to fix the rear locker on my Rubicon (100K more miles), there will be a source for the magnet alone.

There is a marker written on the magnet with the number 100412. I couldnít find that referenced anywhere in parts stores. The ring on the inside of the magnet moves about 0.4cm to engage the locker.

Here are a few pics of the magnet.

The magnet is not directly attached to the locker Ė the locker spins with the axles, where the magnet is held stationary with a ďactivator bracket.Ē Pics of the locker without magnet slid on.

When not activated, the ring on the inside of the magnet is at rest and does not press against the locker. When activated, the ring presses against the ring on the locker and the teeth are engaged inside of the locker. Pics of the locker with magnet slid on.

I hope this helps someone.

Unread 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for posting. It is idiotic that Chrysler does not sell component parts for these lockers.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Thanks for posting. It is idiotic that Chrysler does not sell component parts for these lockers.
It may be a contractual thing with GKN Driveline.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Great info and pics, hope you get your Jeep up and running soon. You still loving your Rubi Crawler as if I didnít already know the answer to that?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Great info and pics, hope you get your Jeep up and running soon. You still loving your Rubi Crawler as if I didnít already know the answer to that?
Up and running again. I'm now in the "break in the gears" phase again. Since I had a new locker & diff, I had new gears and bearings put in.

Yes, I've used the RubiCrawler much more than I thought I would. I really like it on the Sand Mountain. I even use it on steep paved roads (> 10 degrees). I can't wait until the weather warms up & I can start using it on more trails.

Ha ha, speaking of Sand Mountain, I just saw a truck from Maxxis this morning. They were leaving the road from Sand Mountain driving thru Hurricane. I'm only guessing; but I bet they have been testing some new tires. I couldn't guess whether they were testing motorcycle tires or Jeep tires or whatever. They have a big rig with their logo all over the box.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I shelled a factory locker on my LJ Rubi and found the same thing, no parts available just replace the whole thing. I decided for the same money to switch to an ARB locker instead.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I shelled a factory locker on my LJ Rubi and found the same thing, no parts available just replace the whole thing. I decided for the same money to switch to an ARB locker instead.
I looked at that option; but didn't feel I needed the bigger axles. My Rubi has 32 spline axles. I couldn't find a matching ARB for those axles for the Rubicon. But, there is a 35 spline axle/ARB locker that fits the Rubicon. With the compressor & axles &tc. it would have been about $1,000+ more than the way I went. I really wrestled with this. But, I figured that I have 100K+ miles on my axles; so, I should be alright. I don't plan on going to larger tires (35" now) and I'm pretty gentle on the skinny pedal when wheeling off road.
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

why i love this forum! great write up and pictures!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
Up and running again. I'm now in the "break in the gears" phase again. Since I had a new locker & diff, I had new gears and bearings put in.

Yes, I've used the RubiCrawler much more than I thought I would. I really like it on the Sand Mountain. I even use it on steep paved roads (> 10 degrees). I can't wait until the weather warms up & I can start using it on more trails.

Ha ha, speaking of Sand Mountain, I just saw a truck from Maxxis this morning. They were leaving the road from Sand Mountain driving thru Hurricane. I'm only guessing; but I bet they have been testing some new tires. I couldn't guess whether they were testing motorcycle tires or Jeep tires or whatever. They have a big rig with their logo all over the box.
Glad to hear that itís all back together and all is fine. RubiCrawler, the most awesome piece of equipment for the JK autos you can add in my opinion.

Iím sure that it would have been a lot of fun to watch Maxxis test their tires out no matter what they were for, 4x4 or motorcycle. Iím guessing that they are located in your neck of the woods.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.