To rubicon or not. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > To rubicon or not.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
usn
2009 JK Wrangler 

To rubicon or not.

I am looking at buying a 2011 Wrangler. Not going to be doing any rock crawling, will be mudding and lots of beach riding. Basic question. Is it worth getting the Rubi for what I am doing or should I go Sahara/Sport. Will be doing mods either way, bumpers, winch etc. Just wondering if the Rubi is worth extra money for me or not. Also will be DD.

usn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

rubi...
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
SLIM_SNOOPY

If you are really not going to rock crawl or do severe 4 wheeelin, then go with the sport. The 4.10 gears are going to kill your gas milleage. Plus the money you will spend on the RUBI, will pay for all your accessories.

I have a 2dr Sport, very basic, Handles great in severe weather. I had the similar issue with buying the sport vs the Mountain edition. Glad I stuck with the basics.

MY 2 Cents.

SLIM_SNOOPY
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

With the BLD system on the sport, I'd go that route but would add a snorkel and tie all of the vent tubes into it. Hydrolocking is an issue you won't want to face. I was mudding with mine and burned up the engine fan motor. I'm not sure what you can do about that issue, though. Buy a TJ?
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went with the Rubicon in 2010. My previous Jeep was a yj s. I figured I'd dump money into her and build the ultimate offroad machine. Well life happened and I never got around to what I really wanted, so this time around I'd get a head start.

If you can afford it, I say go with the Rubicon. In the least, the Rubicon holds its value better than a Sport or Sahara.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

In my Sahara, My mods come very slow. I'm waiting to buy the lift and tires cash and can't seem to not use perfectly good stock tires until they need to be replaced. I've had no problems with the beach or even more difficult trails. I've gotten high centered plenty on trails, but that is what skid plates are for. The JK will do more stock than you can imagine. Tires right now are my weak spot, but those can be cured by buying a set of Rubi take off's from Craigslist or waiting for a lift/tire combo like I'm going with next year.

I went through the same dilemma and there are probably 100 threads similar to yours in this section. Best advice, price everything out, weigh the options, and go with your gut instinct.

It is your Jeep, and I don't think anyone here regrets buying what they have....unless of course they come out with a Diesel in the US and then _maybe_.....but that is another thread
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

I bought the 2009 2DR Sahara as that's what was on the lot in the price and color I wanted. Also bought a 2009 Unlimited-X the next day. Aside from creature comforts, there was no difference. I wondered why I had spent the extra for the Sahara trim package when I swapped out the wheels, tires, and suspension within a few months. Next time around, it's base trim for me. Hopefully when you're done, your ride will have little resemblance to the original anyway. A couple Jeep mechs were talking to me about the Rubi. Both told me that unless I were to do a lot of rock climbing there was little reason to justify it for occasional wheeling. My Tru-Blu Sahara gets me places, like swamps and rocky crags I'd never think to take my
Pathfinder. It may not be a Rubi, but still tough as nails.

Doc

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Hornsby
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY View Post
he 4.10 gears are going to kill your gas milleage.
Hornsby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usn View Post
I am looking at buying a 2011 Wrangler. Not going to be doing any rock crawling, will be mudding and lots of beach riding. Basic question. Is it worth getting the Rubi for what I am doing or should I go Sahara/Sport. Will be doing mods either way, bumpers, winch etc. Just wondering if the Rubi is worth extra money for me or not. Also will be DD.
For me it was basically like buying a new Mustang/Camaro/Charger/etc... Sure, I could go with the V6 option which is completely capable of propelling the car to any posted highway speed just like any other car. Or I could spend a little more and get the V8, get slightly worse gas mileage, and potentially get a big stupid grin permanently stuck on my face.

I opted for the Rubicon. While I didn't know if I'd ever have need of the D44s, electric lockers, electric swaybar, and taller gearing again when I bought it (I had just moved down from the mountains and sold my '76 Cherokee) - I've since used every single 'extra' on the Jeep many, many times even though I have to drive much, much further to put them to use.

As my granddad used to say; it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
tequilasunrise
2010 JK Wrangler 

I recently bought a 2dr Sahara in June and have been exremely satisfied with it. I would def. go Sahara over the sport. Sound system is unreal, keyless entry w/ power windows, 18" rims with decent tires. Overall an amazing Jeep. Haven't done any rock crawling with it, but it handles great in the mud and on the beach with loose sand...also in the lake too! Good luck with your decision!
tequilasunrise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
NorthRiver

The lower gearing in the Rubi transfer case isn't what you want in the mud or sand.

A Sport or Sahara would be a better choice IMO.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJake View Post
Aside from creature comforts, there was no difference. I wondered why I had spent the extra for the Sahara trim package when I swapped out the wheels, tires, and suspension within a few months. Next time around, it's base trim for me.
FWIW, if you get a base-trim package and add all of the "creature comforts" back to it, you come out to be within $285 of the Sahara's price tag:

air conditioning
power windows/locks
satellite radio
Infinity speakers
tinted rear windows
side-steps
cruise control
leather steering wheel
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
JKWilly
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ha, I think everyone is gonna say rubicon again... I wanted the RUBI myself, but I also believed that with the money I am saving with the sport, I could slowly start buying parts for my build plan and have something I built for my personal wants and needs. And I think the best part is, I am not paying interest on all the goodies I buy for my jeep. Like you would if you were to pay the premium for the rubicon. If you think about it, you could easily buy a 2" old man emu lift, JKS adjustable disconnects, Eaton electronic locking differentials for the front and rear, and by the time you have accumulated those parts you should have worn out the stock tires. Then slap some 35's on and you should be able to run just about any trail you want, within reason. With all that, you should still be under the price of the rubi, give or take. But remember, you still arent paying interest for the next six years on all the parts you bought. And it can be argued, but the aftermarket parts are of better quality. This is just my reasoning for going with the sport model and is pretty much my build plan, although mine consists of bumpers, winch, all sorts of nick nacks.

the rubi is very tempting and the choice is all yours
JKWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
duglas25
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon has better resale and if you get an X with the Power Windows and all that comes with it, it is only $3000 or so less than a Rubicon. Rubicon gets better gears, better tires, better suspension, lockers, and electronic disconnects..
37" Cooper STT MT 17" Rims
Currie G2 D60 Rear, ARB 5.13
Mopar bumpers rear DVD, LockPick, MyGig, Sirius,
Full Soft Doors
TMD Hood

2005 Inifinti G35 4 Door 6MT
Stillen Stage 3 Supercharger
duglas25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY View Post
The 4.10 gears are going to kill your gas milleage.
Go ahead and explain that thought.

To the OP, it doesn't sound like the Rubi would help you much. You need wheelspeed in mud and 4:1 would probably be too low. To anyone else debating the subject, IMO always go with the Rubi if you'll be going to 35-37" tires and hitting good trails and rocks. The extra cost of the Rubi will easily pay for itself with the stronger axles, deeper gears, stronger t-case, and lockers front and rear....I couldn't care less for the electronic disconnect links. If you're planning on larger axles (60's or a FF14b) and 40"+ tires, it's a tossup. Either start with the cheapest JK you can find or go with the Rubi and recoop some of the cash by selling off the bling axles. I started with a basic TJ and would be $$$ ahead now if I had started with a Rubi.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , model comparison , rubicon vs. sport , rubicon vs. x , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.