Rubicon lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon lockers

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
newrubicon
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon lockers

On my '10 Rubicon the owners manual says to engage 4L while moving 2-3 mph. When I do this I hear the gears grinding. Yet it won't engage at a stand still. What is the correct way to engage 4L ? As far as the lockers, the rear locks instantly, but the indicator for the front flashes and you have to roll before the indicator stops flashing. Is that right? Finally, I know you can't engage the sway bar disconnect unless you're in 4L, but where does it disconnect at? Thanks, trying to learn about the features.

newrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
riverzendz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Engage 4Lo 2-3 mph is correct, it's what the manual says. I do it at a stand still but many people will scream at you if you tell them that.

The say bar disconnects in the center at the motor. Look under neath the front end and you'll see it.

As for the lockers, that sounds right but I can't say for sure.
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Shift into Neutral, and then start releasing the brake. You should be able to get into 4lo at that point. Sometimes its picky and you have to shift to D or R for a second to move the gears/jeep and back to Neutral to try 4lo again. It gets easier as you use 4lo more in my opinion.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
newrubicon
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again
newrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iím one of those that have to be stopped to engage. Just do whatever it takes so youíre not grinding.
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
coptered
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rolling about 2-3mph in neutral will allow the 4 low to go into gear. You may get a little grinding. Don't force it or you will break the clip.

The locker light will flash until the locker is fully engaged. Sometimes the jeep needs to roll a little to fully engage the locker.

The swaybar disconnect will work in 4High and 4Low. It will reconnect automatically when you are going faster than 18 mph and will disconnect again once you slow down.
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

you hit the locker buttons too on the dash, its a two stage button up for front and down for back, then hit them again for unlocking
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
you hit the locker buttons too on the dash, its a two stage button up for front and down for back, then hit them again for unlocking
in my 2010, its:

down 1 time for rear only
down again for rear + front

up once to disable lockers (if any are engaged)
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Lawson87
2007 JK Wrangler 

Same as my 07'. I just installed the Superchips Flashpaq, now I can have the lockers on in 4hi up to 30 mph. It also improved the driving. My 2 cents.
Lawson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

When I used my sway bar in 4hi (still under 10 mph) the light would only flash, does that means its not disconnected?

Also when you have the lockers engaged do the lights on the dash continuously flash or are they supposed to stay on solid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs View Post
When I used my sway bar in 4hi (still under 10 mph) the light would only flash, does that means its not disconnected?

Also when you have the lockers engaged do the lights on the dash continuously flash or are they supposed to stay on solid?
1)correct not disconnected
2)Lights stay on solid when engaged.
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

I usually shift into 4Lo while moving dead slow although I've done it while stopped as well. If it won't go in and you're stopped, keep the transfer case in N and shift the transmission into D or R for a second and then wait a few seconds for the gears to stop and try again.

While moving, I've noticed it goes in easier if I smoothly shift the transfer case from 4Hi to 4Lo without pausing in N.
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
in my 2010, its:
down 1 time for rear only
down again for rear + front
You can also keep pressing down to unlock/lock the front without unlocking the rear.
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Chuck_Bullitt
2009 JK Wrangler 

I usually have to come to a complete stop to get into 4LO, otherwise it sounds like I'm trying to split my t-case in half. Non-rubi FWIW.
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

It takes some practice learning how to maneuver your t-case to 4-lo without a grind...

My method is drive about 5MPH, in (D) and 4HI obviously, and then put the transmission shifter into Neutral. When the rig slows itself down to 2-3MPH, slide t-case knob from 4HI to 4LO.

You obviously go through N on the t-case, but you don't really stop there. Just kind of one swift motion from 4HI to 4LO while rolling a few MPH with tranny also in Neutral.

As for the lockers engaging, sometimes it will take a few feet before they lock in, or even unlock after turning them off. But they should engage/disengage within a few feet - if you are driving 20-30-50 feet and they still aren't engaging or disengaging then you may have some issues... a good dif housing cleaning and gear fluid change should do the trick for "sticky" lockers I've heard. I use Amsoil extreme gear lube and have never really had any problems (other than the 2-3 ft to disengage sometimes).

I have rubi axles swapped onto my X, but works the same way, just not through the ECU at all...
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.