Rubicon Locker switches - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker switches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #31
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
Got bored at work so I made this. FL relay means the front locker relay ect.

Note I have not done this specific wiring for the lockers yet, but is ,from what I understand that the cpu switches on the ground bus, ( which makes since because they can use small switches that do not have to switch under load) technically correct.

Edit: I was thinking about this and you really can sub all of the relays in my drawing for plain ole switches in the cab since you are not on load current. Relays would be a waste of money and wiring time because their is no need to fuse grounds.

Is this a diagram showing where to splice into the OEM system?
Or is it a redesign of the system?

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #32
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

I took this from your explanation of:

Splice a switch to ground on the violet/light green wire on the rear locker relay, and a switch on the violet/dark blue wire on the front locker relay. You don't bypass the OEM ground wire. You simply tap your wire onto it. That way, the OEM switches will still operate the locker.

This is just taking it a step further and making a master switch so they cannot be accidentally switched

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I took this from your explanation of:

Splice a switch to ground on the violet/light green wire on the rear locker relay, and a switch on the violet/dark blue wire on the front locker relay. You don't bypass the OEM ground wire. You simply tap your wire onto it. That way, the OEM switches will still operate the locker.

This is just taking it a step further and making a master switch so they cannot be accidentally switched
I asked because the diagram doesn't look like the OEM circuit.
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #34
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

If I wanted to make a switch to prevent accidental engage I would just make a flip cover for the locker swtiches
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #35
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I didn't know the oem circuit just went off of what I was told. Either way from the splices out it should work.

This sounds like it is closer to the OEM (plus my splices) from what you talked about in previous post.

Better?

13 JKUR
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
A locked rear is amazing in soft sand, deep snow etc. It helps to maintain momentum in 4 high rather than having to crawl in 4low. Traction control can really screw you in 4 high in the JK where it cannot be disabled. Not for everyone or every condition but it can be much more helpful in certain instances.
I can disable it (and have) on my 08...so nice to be in control of my car not some crazy compuper.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #37
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1
Well I didn't know the oem circuit just went off of what I was told. Either way from the splices out it should work. This sounds like it is closer to the OEM (plus my splices) from what you talked about in previous post. Better?
Do we really need all the relays? BTW that diagram was awesome! I'm going to try this mod this weekend.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #38
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTJ02 View Post
Do we really need all the relays?
No.
Just a wire connected to the violet wire from the OEM locker relay, a switch in the cab, and a short wire from the switch to any handy ground point.

Astennis1,
Yes, your new diagram is much better.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

As mentioned no the extra relays not needed because that curcuit is not handling the high amp power draw of the locker. It is only turning on a relay which is a very small amp draw. So normal switches can handle it. So all you have to do is put switches to connect to ground. You can still put in a master by putting in another switch on a common ground coming from both switches.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #40
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I forgot about the OEM relays used to switch the lockers in the first drawing, which is why my wiring has relays. Just didn't feel like removing them.

Third times a charm.

13 JKUR
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #41
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I forgot about the OEM relays used to switch the lockers in the first drawing, which is why my wiring has relays. Just didn't feel like removing them.

Third times a charm.

Even better, but quite there, yet.

The notes "Splice in between the rear [front] locker ground and CPU" should read
"Splice into the violet wire between the rear [front] locker relay and the cpu".
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #42
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I missed that, but not changing it. Thanks.

13 JKUR
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #43
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1
Yeah I forgot about the OEM relays used to switch the lockers in the first drawing, which is why my wiring has relays. Just didn't feel like removing them. Third times a charm.
Perfect! Thanks!
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #44
ar325

thanks for the post
ar325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.