Rubicon Locker switches - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker switches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
sinawalli
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
You are not tricking the module to engage with the bypass you are engaging it manually with a switch. My tuner has the 4 high mode and it does not have to be plugged once it has programmed to do so.
What is this tuner you speak of? Thanks!!

sinawalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli
What is this tuner you speak of? Thanks!!
A diablo trinity with a custom tune for my RIPP supercharger.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looked up the Diablosport Trinity and states on the website that it has to be plugged in and the axles will remain locked as long as it is displaying the screen... Same as the Predator... This is pretty much why I didn't get a Diablo product. Now you say that this is all false?! I have also ready many reviews that said the same thing...

http://diablosport.com/product-search.html#trinity2_
Neo1130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
mello

I do not use it for that purpose so I don't know from experience I just read that is how the procedure goes. I use my bypass switches for that purposes and would not really want to rely on a tuner for that purpose.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
You wife can also switch it on the highway when she's going to get groceries so be careful!

"Wonder what this does??? -click- BBAAAAANNNGGGGGGG!!!! CRASH!!!!

If my wife switched it on under any circumstances - the condition of the Jeep would be the least of any of our worries.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

I may have to make this an upcoming project.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

ANy of our hobby mods to the JK/JKUs can be neat/safe/dangerous/foolish/beneficial, you juat have to choose for yourself-

I can't imagine wanting my axles locked when I was going over 15mph, to me it'd be too dangerous-

Good luck if you have a use forit

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
ANy of our hobby mods to the JK/JKUs can be neat/safe/dangerous/foolish/beneficial, you juat have to choose for yourself-

I can't imagine wanting my axles locked when I was going over 15mph, to me it'd be too dangerous-

Good luck if you have a use forit

JIMBO
Yes. Locking on a slippery road can cause the Jeep to suddenly change direction, or not go in the direction you want; off the road, or into oncoming traffic.

And to go along with JIMBOX, my note from a previous post...

Note to our readers:
Locking one or both axles at inappropriate times can cause the Jeep to become difficult or impossible to control.
If you don't know when not to lock, this mod is not for you.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, thats everso true-

The locked rear end can cause you to "swap" ends and a locked front end can just drive you into a ditch, especially on the outside of "THAT" turn !

Back to previously scheduled program-

JIMBO
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

A locked rear is amazing in soft sand, deep snow etc. It helps to maintain momentum in 4 high rather than having to crawl in 4low. Traction control can really screw you in 4 high in the JK where it cannot be disabled. Not for everyone or every condition but it can be much more helpful in certain instances.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Now that may be true for you in sand/snow, but I always just lockemup (all 4) in sand and snow, because-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
A locked rear is amazing in soft sand, deep snow etc. It helps to maintain momentum in 4 high rather than having to crawl in 4low. Traction control can really screw you in 4 high in the JK where it cannot be disabled. Not for everyone or every condition but it can be much more helpful in certain instances.
I don't need momentum and at crawl speeds I have safer reaction time to correct for snowplowing (stuck) and off camber drifts in deep snow/sand-

Now I wouldn't wanna try to makeit across the Sahara/Mojave at crawl speed, but I don't be doin that !

I find climbing sand hills much safer/controlled/beneficial to CRAWL up hills rather than storm, course I'm not talking bout Pismo beach, or sand hill, I'm just cruising-

Whatever

JIMBO
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
jstraw
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's the 4:10's... Wheel spin can be a little slow especially when your cranking your rpm's just to get through some thick mud. The ability to lock in 4hi and 2hi in mud and snow with 4:10's will give that wheel spin needed to wheel without ramping your motor. As far as I read, with tuners, they disengage at 35 mph, a manual switch would be so much better.
jstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

As for the accidental switching of my lockers. My solution was to make a ground bus with one switch then have seperate switches for the front and rear. This will make it to where the master has to be engaged to use either of the lockers. I am also the only one who drives my jeep (I have no wife or kids) so I will know better. As for why I want to do this. I like to have a rear locker in 2wd every once in a while. I also drive beaches a good bit and to be locked in 4hi will be good to have.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #29
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1
As for the accidental switching of my lockers. My solution was to make a ground bus with one switch then have seperate switches for the front and rear. This will make it to where the master has to be engaged to use either of the lockers. I am also the only one who drives my jeep (I have no wife or kids) so I will know better. As for why I want to do this. I like to have a rear locker in 2wd every once in a while. I also drive beaches a good bit and to be locked in 4hi will be good to have.
I'm not electrical terminology savvy but I can wire up accessories properly(maybe I should learn them) Can someone make me a diagram with the master switch and two locker bypass switches? I'll be forever in your debt.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #30
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Got bored at work so I made this. FL relay means the front locker relay ect.

Note I have not done this specific wiring for the lockers yet, but is ,from what I understand that the cpu switches on the ground bus, technically correct.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.