Rubicon Locker switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker switches

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon Locker switches

I have searched for a while to see if I can find a write up, or if someone has done this and I have come up short. I am doing research to figure out how difficult it is to bypass the onboard cpu and make my own switches for the rubi lockers. My plan would be to make a master switch that would have to be closed to use the lockers which would make an accidental engage unlikely. I have heard that the locker uses a momentary signal. My main questions are: Is this a specified pulse duration? Is this a motor that needs a flip in polarity to engage/disengage? Does the locker output its status? I can design a microcontroller to do the logic, but I don't feel this needs to be this complex. Any takers?

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It operates with a simple solenoid with 13.8 VDC on not, spring return as I recall. You could wire them totally independent of the PCM relay operated with master switch and appropriate fuse. May throw a code when PCM cannot find lockers but you could ignore it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A switch in the locker relay ground wire will actuate the locker, completely preserving the OEM circuitry.

Splice a switch to ground on the violet/light green wire on the rear locker relay, and a switch on the violet/dark blue wire on the front locker relay. You don't bypass the OEM ground wire. You simply tap your wire onto it. That way, the OEM switches will still operate the locker.

What it amounts to is, when you close your added switch, it grounds the relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and sends power to the locker.

The only thing you will see that's abnormal is the blinking locker light when you use your added switch to lock the axle.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay I think I get at what you are saying. I tried to draw how I picture this, to make sure I got it right. Don't hate on my paint skills ha...

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
Okay I think I get at what you are saying. I tried to draw how I picture this, to make sure I got it right. Don't hate on my paint skills ha...
Kind of hard to tell, but I don't think that's it.

The violet wire from the relay goes back to the computer. The computer connects it to ground when you select LOCK with the OEM switch. This allows 12 volts to flow through the relay coil.
Your new wire will tap onto the violet wire, go to your new switch in the cab, and go to ground when you close your switch. This will also connect the violet wire to ground, (instead of the computer doing it), allowing 12 volts to flow through the relay coil. The relay will close, sending power to the locker.

It's more like this: (Copy the pic if you want it. I'll take it out of my photobucket later.)

Note to our readers:
Locking one or both axles at inappropriate times can cause the Jeep to become difficult or impossible to control.
If you don't know when not to lock, this mod is not for you.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, a lot simpler than my suggestion.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just curious - why would you want or need to do this ?

Dan
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm
Just curious - why would you want or need to do this ? Dan
you can lock your rear in 2wd which comes in handy on a slick boat ramp. If you need some good wheel speed to clean out tires you can lock them in 4 high.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

when I was playing in big sand dunes it would have been nice to be able to lock in 4-hi,

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
HllywdJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't some of the programmers make it possible to use the lockers when not in 4low? Not the cheapest route...
HllywdJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You wife can also switch it on the highway when she's going to get groceries so be careful!

"Wonder what this does??? -click- BBAAAAANNNGGGGGGG!!!! CRASH!!!!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
mello

My bypass switch is on my a pillar and I have it running through a weather pack connector in cab before it runs through fire wall. I keep that weather pack connector disconnected except when going off road so there is no accidental engagements. Also if I ever have to remove dash I will not have to cut the wiring.
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I put ARBs in my TJ I put the switches in the overhead console I built with the feed for both run through a toggle switch with a safety cover on it (arming switch). The main reason for this was because I would let my son drive it to school every now and then on special occasions. The arming switch was there to keep one of his buddies from engaging a locker while cruising down the highway at 60, as in "hey what's this do" click. My son knew what they where for and how to use them.
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

I still don't understand... People are driving around in 4lo constantly?! The lockers are only available in 4lo. Even with a tuner, you have to have the tuner plugged into the vehicle in order to use it in any other mode. If you hit the locker switch, it will never engage, unless in 4lo... Now what I WOULD like... Tricking the vehicle into thinking it's in 4lo all the time so I can hit the locker switch whenever...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
mello

You are not tricking the module to engage with the bypass you are engaging it manually with a switch. My tuner has the 4 high mode and it does not have to be plugged once it has programmed to do so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.