Rubicon Express/Mopar 4.5" Long Arm vs Teraflex 4" Long arm, which one is best? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Express/Mopar 4.5" Long Arm vs Teraflex 4" Long arm, which one is best?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon Express/Mopar 4.5" Long Arm vs Teraflex 4" Long arm, which one is best?

Ok, first rule forget the cost difference between the two. For this comparison I strictly want opinions based on performance of the two lifts, not which one is cheaper.

The reason I'm asking, is because the shop I talked to about doing the lift recommended the RE one over the Teraflex which I was fairly set on. They said the RE one has better on road manners (most of my driving is on city streets and highways) and therefore would be a better fit for my needs. This shop comes highly recommended in the DC area, so I don't think it's a question of them trying to get me to buy the more expensive lift. I've heard good things about both and my original debate was between the 2, but ended up deciding on the Teraflex, not only because of the things I've read, but because the rep who's on this forum and others was great about answering questions, etc. The shop is an authorized dealer of both, so it's not that it's something they don't carry and are therefore pushing what they stock.

So, I'd appreciate the wisdom of the Jeep Forum in giving me reasons to go with one over the other. Or if they're equal in quality, when I go in to the shop next week to get the written estimate for everything, I'll pick their brain a bit more and get more input from them.

SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not really sure about the R.E. 4.5, but the R.E. 3.5 is excellent! Handles very well on and off road. Very smooth, no shimmys or vibrations. I added the adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks and the adjustable lower ball joints and it drives awsome! The kit is very well made.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

RE no question.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow. No question? I have questions! lol But that's because I just don't know anything about lifts. Why is it the better kit?
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Never had a Teraflex kit but, the R.E. has all new arms with grease fittings and the upper arms are adjustable! I have had 2 R.E. kits and both were fantastic. No problems. They seem thought through very well. Also, there must be something good about them - Mopar chose them for the factory kit.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS-Cowboy View Post
Never had a Teraflex kit but, the R.E. has all new arms with grease fittings and the upper arms are adjustable! I have had 2 R.E. kits and both were fantastic. No problems. They seem thought through very well. Also, there must be something good about them - Mopar chose them for the factory kit.
Right, why would Mopar choose them? The RE kit is a better kit, hands down. I wouldn't buy a Tera product if they were the last manufacturer going. I'd rather be stock. If the install shop, that is a dealer for both, recommended RE... that should tell you something too. I'll bet it's more than just margin.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, I use to work at several Off Road shops and there are kickbacks, incentives, etc. from manufacturers for the sale of their kits... Just a thought.

i.e. 4Wheel Parts will almost always push Pro Comp because it is their company.

Installed:

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
Unread 06-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, all votes for the RE. I'm pretty surprised. Another point in their favor I guess would be that since it's the exact kit the dealerships install, they might be more familiar with it, if it goes in for service and perhaps be less likely to blame any problem on the lift itself? Between everyone here, the shop recommending them and Jeep going with the kit, it does seem like a good choice.

And anyone else wanting to chime in please do.
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Mopar 4.5" Long Arm and couldn't be happier. On road manners are incredible. It cruises awesome on the freeway and takes speed bumps like nothin. Kinda spendy, but after the initial wallet pinch you'll love it.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Imowgrass4you
2009 JK Wrangler 

Can anyone give the the part numbers for the mopar 4.5" RE lift?
Imowgrass4you is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imowgrass4you View Post
Can anyone give the the part numbers for the mopar 4.5" RE lift?
P5155075 is the part number for the whole kit.

Unread 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
TxJeepers
2014 JK Wrangler 

Had a Teraflex system paired with OME shocks on my old TJ and couldn't have been happier with the setup. Wasn't long arm, but all the same, it did great on and off road. I'd buy Teraflex again and just might when the boss let's me start building up my 08 JK.
TxJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
TeraFlex
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sent a PM to you!
TeraFlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Sent a PM to you!
I'm not sure, but I think, based only on a weird hunch, that your PM may end up being SLIGHTLY biased.

Unread 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think, based only on a weird hunch, that your PM may end up being SLIGHTLY biased.
Im not biased in fact ordered up a RE Long arm 4.5" for my personal JK. Once we started installing these things I just cannot believe how bad it handles. Like I said in another post. RE even admitted to how CRAPPY this thing handled and drove. That is why after releasing the kit they now include a HD drag link to help tame this beast on the road.
I suggest you jump in a few other jeeps and go for rides. In fact drive in them. HUGE difference in handling.

By the way. I used to live on Jantzen Beach and have riden the train across the river hundreds of times.. LOL
VegasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.