Rubicon/Base unlimited...can't make up my mind! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon/Base unlimited...can't make up my mind!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
BumbleBeeTJ

Rubicon/Base unlimited...can't make up my mind!

I've had sudden urge to get a Wrangler lately and I can't make up my mind as to what I want to buy. Not going to be a hard core crawler but mild off road, trail rides, little bit of mud.

Rubicon
Pros-32" M/Ts, heavy duty axles and diff(lockers) 4.10. I would only need 2.5"~3" lift
Cons-expensive, still need to opt for power windows. around $35,000

Base Sport w/AC
Pros-inexpensive. believe it can be had for around $28,000(w/power windows) make my own Jeep
Cons-i would have to immediately buy wheels/tires, lockers, re-gear(unless 3.73 is selected) and a lift kit which would set me back about 4000~

oh and what about 2015's? surree don't want to buy a 2014 if i can get a 2015 soon

what are your opinions?

Unread 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why do you need to lift it to drive around rough roads in Alabama? Anything much over 2" will end up being a big headache. Same goes for 35" tires. Plan on upgrading basically all steering related components soon. The front axle is stronger on the rubicon carrier, but not the housing or the shafts. Over 3" lift you're balancing a fine line between pinion angles and caster up front. And you'll most likely need new driveshafts.

A sport with 3.73, small lift (2.5" or less) and 285s on stock 17" wheels would work great and save you a load of money. For your use you probably don't need a rubicon at all. It will be plenty capable as is.

If you DO go bigger lift, you'll end up replacing nearly all of the rubicon stuff anyway. Ask me how I know.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
BumbleBeeTJ

believe it or not...northern Alabama does have some mountains

i know this is a gimmick but axle disconnect and remote axle lock is just too cool haha
BumbleBeeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
BumbleBeeTJ

and why can't I find Unlimited in MANUAL transmission?! all auto's... sigh
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeTJ View Post
I've had sudden urge to get a Wrangler lately and I can't make up my mind as to what I want to buy. Not going to be a hard core crawler but mild off road, trail rides, little bit of mud.

Rubicon
Pros-32" M/Ts, heavy duty axles and diff(lockers) 4.10. I would only need 2.5"~3" lift
Cons-expensive, still need to opt for power windows. around $35,000

Base Sport w/AC
Pros-inexpensive. believe it can be had for around $28,000(w/power windows) make my own Jeep
Cons-i would have to immediately buy wheels/tires, lockers, re-gear(unless 3.73 is selected) and a lift kit which would set me back about 4000~

oh and what about 2015's? surree don't want to buy a 2014 if i can get a 2015 soon

what are your opinions?
I think you'll find that the base Wrangler is plenty capable and will suite your off road needs just fine. If you find it comes up short and you want to start modifying it for better off road performance, you can spend money where you want/need to instead of buying a package from the factory.

My vote would be to get the base model and use it for a while. If you find you want to upgrade some things, build how you want it!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeTJ
believe it or not...northern Alabama does have some mountains

i know this is a gimmick but axle disconnect and remote axle lock is just too cool haha
Yes but... The electric sway bar disconnect can only by used in 4x4 and speeds below 18mph. And can be problematic. I removed my motor in favor of the Evo no limits manual disconnect. Sometimes you can find a complete sway bar disconnect with failed motor for cheap and install a manual disconnect.
And you can install lockers in any of them. If you're going to re-gear you might as well.

Or if you want a well built used rubicon just by mine with all kinds of sweet add ons!

The rubicon has cool features don't get me wrong. But if you end up lifting and doing some other work, you may end up spending more anyway. But it will do just about anything you'd want right off the lot with warranty.

On and mine is a manual! And yes they are hard to find. Nobody knows how to drive them any more. Some people's kids....
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
BumbleBeeTJ

there is base unlimited in my area with 3.73 and lockers but with dreaded AUTO and no power windows..

ok BASE Unlimited for like $28000

OR

Rubicon 2dr for like $30000 (with power, connectivity)
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

lift has nothing to do with a Rubi or other. they have the same suspension excepting shocks and a bit more spring rate. factory suspension parts are rather CHEAP on all JK's. from the bolts to the bushings used. the larger the tire and use off road it becomes apparent soon. Drag links are like a wet noodle, tie rods bent at sight of a rock. So in the end most that stuff goes FUBAR.

You did not list that a Rubi has the rock track Tcase. it is not just 4.1 low its HD. Though the Hpd30 and HPd44 have the same axle tubes and outers. That is where it ends. The rubicon has better axles. Thicker gears both front and rear.

For many people the cost of going BIG on sport to equal what is out of the box on the CON, cost ends up moot. The new auto is a better transmission than the stick now since the 2012 year model. It can handle more torque it has paddle shifter on the stick. If you get in deep mud you can still change gears. The stick will end a mud death if you use the clutch. BUT it is not cheap. The rubicons with 4.1:1 gears in the axles especially the auto can turn 35"s. with a auto since this trans has a lower first gear compared to older autos. they come with 3.73:1 if a auto now on the rubicon and they do charge 500$ to get 4.1:1. Mine back in 012 it was only 50$. So that option on the con they stick it to ya for about 2k. resale on the Cons has always been better as well. To me it seems the cost of a stripped con with auto is the better crawler and out on the trail it proves it. Box ready for 35"s with a bit of lift or flat fenders and small bumps stop extension. Many people after buying a new jeep and looking at th cost of upgrades on top of payments wish they would have bought the Con. i hear that a lot in the clubs runs we do.

Lockers that are select. say ARB just the lockers are 2k add gears and the master kit labor. 3-4K.
axles that are better, can get into some money too another 1k+ at least
the Tcase to go better Atlas 3-4K. or find a rubi take off for 1k+
having a Edisco, you can change that to work in high. but there is an advantage in low that some do not know. at times flex can be a deficit. say you are on a high wheel front one side and in flex dico on the other gets UNDER a under cut rock. You can reconnect and have less flex. Now that low tire is not under that under cut. just saying it does work.
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I ordered a Sport S with 3.73s, posi Trac, put a Rock Krawler 1.75 lift with manual sway bar disconnects 285/70/17 Duratracs. It would takes something pretty serious to stop this thing. Not saying it s unstoppable, but it has more guts than I do. We had record snow in Indiana this past winter. I was playing on the hills around here. The Jeep barely ever spun. I'd have to get stuck a few times before I'd spend any more money on mine.

My manual tranny is a gem. Keep looking.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Base Sport w/AC

what are your opinions?
For all of what you want to do you will get set back more than 4k, if you plan on wheeling it why not get the Rubicon? if you have the money do it. To get a sport up to what a Rubicon comes standard with you easily make the sport more expensive than the Rubi. Plus you get a 4:1 Tcase.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
BumbleBeeTJ

heavily leaning towards base unlimited with manual. only option, 3.73 and locker

does anybody know what kind of changes are coming for 2015?
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you can afford it, always go for the rubicon. I have a sport and a rubicon, the rubicon will hold its value better, lockers and 4 to 1 low are handy, the auto headlights, electric sway at disconnect, the extra sound deadener, etc.

I sold the sport, it just wasn't like the rubicon we already had, all the stuff it didn't have irritated me. So I bought a truck, and we will keep the 2012 rubicon for a long time!
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
heavily leaning towards base unlimited with manual. only option, 3.73 and locker

does anybody know what kind of changes are coming for 2015?
they do not come with a locker. They come Brake locking, all jeeps have that. it just applies the brake to the spinning wheel. Works ok but at low speeds in rocks no. it makes the spiders work hard and needs wheel speed to work. you do not want wheel speed most times until it gets crazy hard and that has risk of breakage once a wheel catches.

only you know what you plan to do. I know as a club member of two clubs in AZ. Trail coordinator for one. people that do not have what the Rubicon has stock. Stay off trails that are 3.5 and up. As they just end up winching there way up.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
RKJK
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
they do not come with a locker. They come Brake locking, all jeeps have that. it just applies the brake to the spinning wheel. Works ok but at low speeds in rocks no. it makes the spiders work hard and needs wheel speed to work. you do not want wheel speed most times until it gets crazy hard and that has risk of breakage once a wheel catches.

only you know what you plan to do. I know as a club member of two clubs in AZ. Trail coordinator for one. people that do not have what the Rubicon has stock. Stay off trails that are 3.5 and up. As they just end up winching there way up.
I was under the impression that you can get a locking rear as a option on the base?
RKJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKJK
I was under the impression that you can get a locking rear as a option on the base?
Nope, not an option. I believe that way back when the JKs first came out, it was an option (only in 2007). Only option for non-rubicons is a limited slip rear.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.