Rubicon axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon axles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
onlyjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon axles

I was thinking of putting a rubicon axles on my unlimited sports, can anybody give a heads up of what im gonna ba needing?
Thanks....

onlyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

They will swap over directly. The only thing you will need to do is add switches and relays to operate the lockers. You can upgrade the factory switch panel and wire harness then get a dealer flash for stock operation though most people just run their own switches so they aren't limited to 4 low use.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
onlyjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

I broke my rear differential on my unlimited sport and thinking of buying the mopar dana44 rubi axle complete assembled!
I have 3:73 gearing and it has a 4:10 well it complicate if i only replace the rear?
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeep
I broke my rear differential on my unlimited sport and thinking of buying the mopar dana44 rubi axle complete assembled!
I have 3:73 gearing and it has a 4:10 well it complicate if i only replace the rear?
Front and rear ratio must be the same or things will go boom when put in 4X4. Have the front geared to match and you'll be all good.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeep View Post
You can probably get a stouter aftermarket unit for about the same price. Alternatively, if you can get a used Rubicon axle for a decent price, then that would be the way to go.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
onlyjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

I will buy the dana44 rubicon axle for the front just not right now, cant afford to buy both at the same time.
If i put the dana44 rubi. axle on the rear first without using 4x4 i'll be fine?
And is the front direct swap also?
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Buy aftermarket - go for a Dynatrac ProRock 44. May cost about $1000 more in the end but it is a better axle assembly.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeep View Post
I will buy the dana44 rubicon axle for the front just not right now, cant afford to buy both at the same time.
If i put the dana44 rubi. axle on the rear first without using 4x4 i'll be fine?
And is the front direct swap also?
Yes and yes. Again, you'll need wiring and what not for the lockers, but it will bolt right in.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a Dynatrac axle available for sale at a discounted price. Much stronger than a Rubicon axle. Bolts right in and also corrects for caster after lifting, which the Rubicon axle doesn't do.

The link is in my signature. PM if interested.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

What part of the rear diff. did you break?
You can put an ARB locker and 35 spline shafts in your current housing and end up with a rear axle that is better than the Rubicon axle. My rear axle build cost about $2k without labor and is described in my thread below.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
What part of the rear diff. did you break?
You can put an ARB locker and 35 spline shafts in your current housing and end up with a rear axle that is better than the Rubicon axle. My rear axle build cost about $2k without labor and is described in my thread below.
Or he can save a a few hundred dollars and go with a Yukon Zip locker, which is an air locker very similar to the ARB.

Personally, I would not install an axle with an incorrect ratio on my Jeep. Essentially, you are making it a two wheel drive. If you do have to do it for whatever reason, then I think you can leave the front drive shaft safely removed, that way there is no possibility of forgetting and putting it four wheel drive and tearing everything up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.