Rubicon 4:1 transfer case swap into a sport question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon 4:1 transfer case swap into a sport question

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #31
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would, supposed to be a favorite when it comes to upgrade.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchip’s | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday
Think about adding the teraflex 2lo kit to your rubi TC while it's out.
I was thinking the same thing. Great opportunity to open up the case.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

OK, So the good news is I received the Rubicon transfer case. I spoke to my dealer and they were somewhat skeptical of re-flashing the computer. He said they were willing to try if I wanted, they would charge me I think he said $127. He said they have had instances where customers have asked for flashes like this and had a bunch of problems. What scared me was that they said in some instances they were unable to revert back to original programming and the customers had to purchase a new PCM which costs over $1,000.

So my next call was to AEV. Spoke with a very nice and helpful person. I explained what I was trying to do. He said the new version of the Procal would be capable of programming for use of the Rubicon 4:1 low range ratio. He said they should be releasing the new pro cal in two weeks. I find this a safer, less risk option so I have decided to hold off on installing the transfer case until I can get my hands on a new version Procal. More updates to follow...
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #34
ar325

thanks for the post
ar325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #35
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M View Post
OK, So the good news is I received the Rubicon transfer case. I spoke to my dealer and they were somewhat skeptical of re-flashing the computer. He said they were willing to try if I wanted, they would charge me I think he said $127. He said they have had instances where customers have asked for flashes like this and had a bunch of problems. What scared me was that they said in some instances they were unable to revert back to original programming and the customers had to purchase a new PCM which costs over $1,000.

So my next call was to AEV. Spoke with a very nice and helpful person. I explained what I was trying to do. He said the new version of the Procal would be capable of programming for use of the Rubicon 4:1 low range ratio. He said they should be releasing the new pro cal in two weeks. I find this a safer, less risk option so I have decided to hold off on installing the transfer case until I can get my hands on a new version Procal. More updates to follow...
A guy I wheel with just had the flashing done by the dealer. They charged him $90. He has a 2012 and put in a 2013 Rubi tcase.

I agree with you, I'd rather buy the Procal and flash it myself.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #36
kawa001

Quote:
Update! I found a Rubicon 4:1 transfer case out of a 2014 automatic. Needless to say, I already purchased it and it was supposed to ship out yesterday. I'll have it early next week and get it installed shortly thereafter.

I will still have a issue of the computer not recognizing the "new" low range gear ratio. I have spoke with Advanced Adaptors and AEV about this. Advanced Adaptors said that they have been working with BullyDog on a programmer that can program a change in low range gear ratio. AEV said they are working on it and hope to have it out soon. I plan to call my dealer and see if they are willing to do a re-flash for me. I know it can be done but not sure if they are willing. Since it is a factory option, there's no doubt they have the capability. I'll update this thread again after the swap is complete.
What did your dealer tell you about programming the PCM to recognize the 4:1 ratio? I just installed a 2013 Rubi transfer case into my 2013 JK Sport. I'm experiencing an RPM limitation while in Low 4. I took my JK into the dealership today but the mechanic said he didn't think his factory diagnostic tool could actually program the new ratio.

AEV has the "AG Level" Procals in stock according to a conversation that I had with them on 2/10/14 but they don't have the user documentation yet. Cost will be about $160.
kawa001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Nothing new to report. As I already mentioned the dealer said they would try but made no guarantees. For what they want to charge I can buy the new AEV ProCal when it comes out. I'll remain patient, spoke to AEV again this morning and still nothing, they won't even hint at when it will release other than to say "soon".

What you are experiencing with the limited RPM in low range is normal until you reflash. Kolby @ LS turnkey in Oceanside, CA told me that if you let it just sit and idle for a minute it would clear itself and operate normally. But, only for that time. The next time you shift out of/ and back into 4 low the same thing would happen. I didn't want to deal with that so I'm waiting on AEV. Good Luck!
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #38
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's a bummer, my OLD Rubi will rev to 5K anytime I slapit into 4lo and I've gotta be a little careful of the sudden RPM climbability-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #39
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

JIMBO is right, with a 4:1 ratio in lo range and esp if you are in 5th or 6th in a manual, it is easy to drive the t-case pinion gears to well over 10,000 rpm if you are not careful...that's spinning pretty fast.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #40
jadmt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Nothing new to report. As I already mentioned the dealer said they would try but made no guarantees. For what they want to charge I can buy the new AEV ProCal when it comes out. I'll remain patient, spoke to AEV again this morning and still nothing, they won't even hint at when it will release other than to say "soon".

What you are experiencing with the limited RPM in low range is normal until you reflash. Kolby @ LS turnkey in Oceanside, CA told me that if you let it just sit and idle for a minute it would clear itself and operate normally. But, only for that time. The next time you shift out of/ and back into 4 low the same thing would happen. I didn't want to deal with that so I'm waiting on AEV. Good Luck!
on their website they say shipping now.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #41
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

You are correct...I placed my order this morning. With any luck I'll have the swap complete this weekend.
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #42
kawa001

Do it with Superchips Flashcal

Closing the loop. Just purchased the Superchips Flashcal. It took less than 5 min to make the change.
kawa001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #43
thekiller
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to dig up older threads, but does anyone know what the input shaft spline count is on a 2012+ automatic rubi transfer case with the external spline input shaft? I'm getting all kinds of conflicting information, 26 spline, 30, 32, etc...anyone know for sure? I can't really seem to tell from counting the splines in the pic on the first page.
thekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #44
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Anybody else have more info? I would really like some confirmation before committing to a purchase. I found a guy selling a 2011, six speed manual trans, rubicon transfer case. My jeep is a 2013 JKU sport, auto transmission.

I spoke with advanced adaptors on Friday and the guy I spoke with was under the impression it would NOT work. He thought there was a difference between the 6 speed and Auto transmission Tcases. Can anybody confirm this with a high level of certainty?

Thanks, David M

If I understand everything that I've read other places, you need a case from a 12+ AUTO transmission.

07+ Manual's and 07-11 autos can all interchange, but because of the transmission/tcase change in 12+ auto's you must stick with a 12+ auto tcase.
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #45
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995 View Post
If I understand everything that I've read other places, you need a case from a 12+ AUTO transmission.

07+ Manual's and 07-11 autos can all interchange, but because of the transmission/tcase change in 12+ auto's you must stick with a 12+ auto tcase.
This is correct. I have a friend that just had this done on his 12. It's the same reason you can't get a rubi crawler or 4 speed Atlas (can only get a 2 speed Atlas).

When they did the 12, they made the electronics too complicated so the stuff from '11 and earlier won't work including most of the programmers. AEV just recently updated their Procal so you can program the transfer case swap. Before that it had to be done by the dealer or it would go into limp mode.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.