Rubi Shocks/springs W/ Leveling Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubi Shocks/springs W/ Leveling Kit

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rubi Shocks/springs W/ Leveling Kit

Ok so heres my newbie question. I have a 08 JK Unlimited 4dr Sahara. I have a Teraflex leveling kit, Spydertrax 1.5" spacers that i was going to put on tomorrow. I just found a deal for 2012 rubi shocks and springs for 40$. Should i do leveling kit with stock sahara springs etc...Or can i do the leveling kit, with the rubi shocks and springs and does it matter if the rubi was a 4dr or 2dr? Thanks fellas and or ladies.

acampane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

there is NO difference in springs by model (s, sahara, rubi) the Only difference is in the spring number

look for the last two digits on the tags on your springs vs. the 'new' springs; For fronts they range from 13-19 and rears from 54-60 (the higher the number the 'stiffer' the coil, and the less 'sag' when loaded-or 'lift' if the loaded weight is the same). each individual numerical increase can yield approx. 1/3 of an inch.

depending how your jeep is optioned, it is possible to have the same springs numbers/rates already.

the biggest gain most people see is going from springs from a loaded hardtop JKU w/ the towing package and installing them on a 2-door, but even then, its all about the spring numbers, NOT the model.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
JKommuter
2009 JK Wrangler 

What Hoss said, but in my opinion the upgraded shocks are worth the $40 bucks...
JKommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys appreciate the info...I'll grab those #s
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok so my shocks are
Front- 52126316AB
Rear- 68004459AA

These are the #s the guy gave me on his rubi shocks i was expecting similar format unless im not reading it right,

His Reply to what # are your shocks.

186AC
OE17226
05168186AC
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why not get the Teraflex leveling springs instead? It's the same install procedure but you will actually gain lift and maintain it if you add a bumper and winch unlike stock springs which can't compare. The Rubicon springs will match well I ran this set up for awhile and was pleased with it

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well i already bought and have the leveling kit. So i figured i could snag the rubi shocks and springs for $40 and be doing alright. And it was just pointed out to me the above #'s are the shocks....im awaiting the spring #s.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
AEVBrute

1.5 inch spacers? any reason why? I would not use a spacer unless i had to, adding spacers made my Jeep drive infinitely worse.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got 4 spydertrax for 50$...teraflex "recommended" them if running stock wheels. I'll see how it looks and rides first. Figured wouldn't be hard to get my $$ backing I don't use them.
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
JKommuter
2009 JK Wrangler 

I started with the same leveling kit (2" spacers front, 1" in back). It worked well, and was worth the money. You will want to use the wheel spacers with the stock wheels. I didn't and when I flexed the sway bar links in the rear removed all my wheel weights and scratched the wheels.

All that said I am now running a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift, Teraflex front Lower control arms and Teraflex front trackbar, and aftermarket wheels. You may eventually end up running something other than the leveling lift, but it is an inexpensive starting point. You will learn a lot.

Your post above says "Shocks" when I think you mean springs. If you asked him for his "shock numbers", that might be why the numbers don't make sense when compared to your spring numbers. I still believe that the Rubicon shocks are a nice upgrade over the ones that come with the sport and Sahara. Well worth $40. If they come with higher rate springs then that's a bonus.

Good Luck
JKommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
acampane
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice thanks for the info...Yes i meant to ask the guy for the # on the springs but i asked for the shocks and that's what he gave me. im awaiting the spring numbers. But he is going to give me both the shocks and springs off his 2dr rubi he sold.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.