RTV Sealant For Differential cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > RTV Sealant For Differential cover

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Thane1
2008 JK Wrangler 

RTV Sealant For Differential cover

I'm putting my New Rear Diff Cover on this Saturday.

I was told to get RTV Sealant.

Is there a particular type I should get?

I've never done this before, so any help/advice you experienced wrenchers can give me is greatly appreciated!!

Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've used Grey (ultra Grey) whatever... I can't find torque specs; maybe your new cover told you what they were?
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Thane1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
I've used Grey (ultra Grey) whatever... I can't find torque specs; maybe your new cover told you what they were?
Thanks for the reply,

I have the ARB specs which say to torque them to 25.4 ft/lbs. I just don't know anything about the RTV.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think the blue would work too?
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

1/4" continous bead - then let it kinda set before you put it on... There should be a writeup somewhere here.
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

I recommend these:

http://www.lubelocker.com/products/products/view/2/3

I put them one when I replaced the Diff Covers. Actually snapped of a bolt putting the covers on and have yet to replace it and it has been a year since I put them on and zero leaks!!! Just be sure to follow the torque specs...my wrench was broken so I busted the first bolt but after getting a new wrench all was well
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I went with the blue RTV, no issues.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Krush
2007 JK Wrangler 

I went lubelocker and it's very clean and a sure coverage. If you screw up applying the grey blue or black stuff you aren't really sealed. With lubelocker your guaranteed sealed.
Krush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
I'm putting my New Rear Diff Cover on this Saturday.

I was told to get RTV Sealant.

Is there a particular type I should get?

I've never done this before, so any help/advice you experienced wrenchers can give me is greatly appreciated!!
I've never bothered with RTV - just use a paper gasket and torque to 20-25 pound-feet on the screws. Haven't had a leak yet.

I don't like to use RTV on "maintenance" gaskets - I want them to be easy to clean up when I change them. If anything, I'll smear a thin layer of grease on the gasket, or blow some graphite on it to improve the release of the thing later...
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is an RTV that is labeled for differential covers and other oil contact areas.
I don't know how much better it is though since it's for diff's thats what I got!
All the JK torque specs are listed at the end of the F.A.Q.

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
There is an RTV that is labeled for differential covers and other oil contact areas.
I don't know how much better it is though since it's for diff's thats what I got!
All the JK torque specs are listed at the end of the F.A.Q.
That is the black stuff. I like using the "cheese wiz" type dispensers. You can find it labeled "Right Stuff". It makes laying a nice, thin and contiguous bead a snap.

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.html
blingII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

Paper gaskets are easier. If you smudge the cover a little bit when you're torqueing then you have no worries. But+ for what it's worth- I took my JK to the dealer for the diff bolts having some moisture and they used a silver RTV.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you want to get technical, here's the part number for the Mopar factory RTV. 05013477AA. When applying, it says to install the covers within 3-5 minutes and use a criss cross pattern when tightening the bolts.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rant!

Rant on...

Rugged ridge diff covers!!!!

Do not buy these 69.00 crappy covers. The welds were performed by blind monkeys from china, the 5 tiny hex head bolts are made from the same strength metal as wrigleys gum wrappers which are so soft 3 of the 5 bolts stripped & lost their integrity and I am pissed after spending 4 hours boring out a hole after applying rtv gooey mess all over trying to re-re install the oem diff cover bolts.

&$ck you china and shame on me for thinking there's no difference between these and the warns... Tsk tsk tsk

WTF is up with ****ty hardware and bolts made out of the worse grade ww2 Chinese metal. ?!?!?
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best bet is the grey RTV from Mopar or Perma -Tex black Rtv.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.