Rough Country vs Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country vs Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers.

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

View Poll Results: Which wheel spacers???
Spydertrax for $200. 42 56.76%
Rough Country for half the price. 32 43.24%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rough Country vs Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers.

I was getting ready to order two sets of Spydertrax but ran across the RC spacers. They are half the price but I don't know anything about wheel spacers. Is anyone running rough country's and if so what do you think???

Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

There are some threads on this here and on other forums.

Most people shy away from the RC spacers because of the price, but I have yet to read a complaint from anyone who has them.

I did tons of research on spaces and almost went that route. Everything out there tells me that spacers are safe, but Spidertrax specifically say "these are intended for OFFROAD use only".

That sealed the deal for me, and I ordered rims instead.

Just a personal thing.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

I run Rough Country spacers. No complaints from me. I retorqued them at 500 miles and then at 3000 when I rotated my tires. None of the lugs backed off at all either time. I'm pretty confident in them being safe.
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

I run spidertrax spacers and have for 4 months now. NO problemo and very satisfied. I can't imagine how offroad would be anything but a legal disclaimer... just in case .... by their legal dept. Offroading is harder on all of the components then on-road driving.... or am I missing something?
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

The big difference between them is that the RC's are not hub-centric and the Spider trac's are!
Now the catch to this is that most after-market wheels are not hub-centric!!!
So to say that after-market wheels are better than stock wheels with spacers isn't necessarily correct.
My opinion is that hub-centric spacers with hub-centric wheels would be stronger than than those that are not, if and only if the lugs were allowed to loosen beyond the required torque!
Wheels are not held in place by the sheer strength of bolts or rings, the are held by the friction force between the flange face and wheel face and are dependent on the tightness/torque of the bolts to maintain this force!
I have the RC spacers and am very satisfied with them

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I liked how the spidertrax spacers were hub centric and aluminum so I spent the extra money and went with spidertrax.

the price of those RC ones sure does look appetizing though.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

My RC's were extra appetizing during the holidays on sale for 39 bucks
Couldn't pass that up!!! They're aluminum too!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

oh really?

I thought they were steel

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

I would never run a wheel spacer that was not hubcentric.

The combination of a lugcentric spacer with a lugcentric wheel is more prone to problems and not as strong when combined together.

Why would anyone not spend an extra $100 for quality when you are installing them on a $20k-$40k JK (depending on the purchase price & total mods)?

(I have run Spidertrax spacers on our 04 TJ off and on for more than 5 years with no problems--including some aggressive wheeling in South Dakota's Black Hills, in Moab, & all over Montana.)
planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

"The combination of a lugcentric spacer with a lugcentric wheel is more prone to problems and not as strong when combined together."

This makes no sense to me at all. Please provide proof.
I'm curious what you have...
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANJEEPO8 View Post
"The combination of a lugcentric spacer with a lugcentric wheel is more prone to problems and not as strong when combined together."

This makes no sense to me at all. Please provide proof.
I'm curious what you have...
In the next couple days I will do a search thread on jk-forum, jkowners, jeepsunlimited, and here about wobble issues when using non-hubcentric spacers. I'll post up the links here for the "proof."

For the logical explanation: hub centric spacers are precision designed to place the weight and leverage on the hub. The spacers are centered on the hub. The studs and lugnuts do not center the spacer. The leveraged force from on and offroad driving is on the hub instead of the lug studs.

Lug studs stretch and flex. Not enough to see visually, but enough that when new studs are installed, they need to be periodically re-torqued.

Lug centric spacers place all the weight and leverage on the studs. Since they are not precision designed to fit the hub, they are centered on the lugs. Sometimes due to different tolerances or improper torque specs or patterns, users do not get their spacers exactly centered on the hub. This can lead to some wobbles--whether is it a lug centric wheel or spacer.

Sometimes people who run lug centric wheels have wobble problems that go away when they rotate their wheels--even without re-balancing them. This is typically due to an improperly centered lug centric wheel. This is more common when people do not use a star pattern to torque their lugs--or if they torque the first lug to spec with the others loose instead of doing the star pattern incrementally to get to the final torque specs.

When you add the variable of a lug centric wheel spacer to a lug centric wheel, you may encounter multiple issues.

First, you have multiple points of leverage--on the spacer studs and the hub or axle shaft studs.

If there is variation in the actual torque spec or seating of lugnuts on a hub centric spacer, their is uneven leverage on the studs. If the variation occurs on a hub centric spacer, the leverage is still almost exclusively on the hub.

Second, if the star pattern method of incrementally torquing the spacers and the wheels to specs is not used, there is an increased likelihood of variation that leads to wobbles. (Most of the anecdotal evidence you will see in the thread searches I will post are wobble issues with lug centric spacers--not outright failures.)

It is possible to successfully use hub centric spacers without wobbles or problems--assuming the quality of the aluminum and precision dimension specs would be equal to the Spidertrax, which may or may not be true.

You would use an incremental star pattern of torque specs for each the spacer and the wheel to help ensure the spacer and the wheel are as centered as much as possible. Still, they will never be as strong as a hub centric design because all the leverage is on the studs instead of the hub bearing a significant portion.

If you are at all familiar with performance cars (GTO, Corvette, etc.). Those guys either buy hub centric wheels or adapters to run with lugcentric wheels. Otherwise, they significantly increase the likelihood of wobble issues. The wobbles are more pronounced with lower profile tires and higher speeds on those types of vehicles, but the principle is the same.

In the end, I go back to my initial assertion. If you are going to spend $20k-$40k+ on a JK (depending on total mods), why wouldn't you spend an extra $100 for higher quality? That just makes no sense to me.

If you can't afford an extra $100 for higher quality, you are driving a vehicle you probably can't afford in the first place.

Last edited by planman; 04-11-2010 at 02:56 PM..
planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well Planman... You just sold me. I will be spending the extra $100 dollars on Spydertrax.
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #13
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

that was a great deal of info to consume.

when i bought my RC Spacers, the price is why i bought them. however, when i bought them, i had no idea about the hubcentric/lugcentric differences.
so, when i saw what appeared to be the same spacers for less than half the money, it was a no-brainer.
it had nothing to do with if i can afford them or not, just trying to save money. i'll never feel bad about that.

i've had the RC spacers on now for about 4 months, didn't have any wobble issues yet...but now i am going out today to check the torque again on them.

thanks for the info...

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for taking the time to write that up Planman, answered alot of questions for me.
Bionicrooster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow,I'm glad I have Spider Trax now!Makes sence to me.
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.