Rough Country lift or Rock Krawler lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country lift or Rock Krawler lift

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Gobi
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rough Country lift or Rock Krawler lift

Hello all,

We need your opinion.

Jeep JK Unlimited 2013 4 doors with automatic transmission, going to be fitted for 35" tires after the lift.

We are looking to lift our new jeep and have narrowed our selection to:
  • Rough Country 3.5" lift kit
  • Rough Country 4" X Series lift kit
  • Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm Flex System with Bilstein shocks

We are looking to use the jeep for weekend trips (sometimes out of State, so lots of highway rides) and occasional camping/trail ride.
  • Which lift kit is most appropriate for our use?
  • Which one would you pick, and why?
  • Which lift kit offers the smoothest ride?

Appreciate your input, happy Holiday!!

Gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

imo rock krawler hands down. superior quality and great warranty. but it will cost more. if you ever plan on doing harder riding get rk and you wont have to switch. rough country may be way less and may be fine for what you described, but if you ever decide to do more you may notice it lacking or not holding up well. id do it right the first time and if those are your choices rk all the way you wont be let down and it should be very able to handle anything you might grow into offroad wise.
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Gobi
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz
imo rock krawler hands down. superior quality and great warranty. but it will cost more. if you ever plan on doing harder riding get rk and you wont have to switch. rough country may be way less and may be fine for what you described, but if you ever decide to do more you may notice it lacking or not holding up well. id do it right the first time and if those are your choices rk all the way you wont be let down and it should be very able to handle anything you might grow into offroad wise.
How is the highway ride? stable, easy to handle and smooth?

Thank you for your feedback, definitely want to do it right the first time!!
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's like comparing apples and cow poop! RK all the way... Rough country lives up to it's name. Rough... I like their x-flex control arms but I would hands down go with rock krawler. Higher quality parts and better ride.
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

I concur with what was said. Apples vs. very rotten oranges.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Gobi
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok I hear you guys. Rock Krawler it is. Now i must find a bank to rob.

Thanks guys!!
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
crazycollinz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why have you limited yourself to only these two lifts? I am not a fan of either after running a rock krawler on my tj and then rebuilding and removing most it. I have also installed two rough country lift for buddies that we have since removed and replaced with something better. Look into the bds kits there in the same price zone as the other two but if your going to rob a bank currie or metalcloak would be the was to go
crazycollinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

MetalCloak
ferninaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Gobi
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycollinz View Post
Why have you limited yourself to only these two lifts? I am not a fan of either after running a rock krawler on my tj and then rebuilding and removing most it. I have also installed two rough country lift for buddies that we have since removed and replaced with something better. Look into the bds kits there in the same price zone as the other two but if your going to rob a bank currie or metalcloak would be the was to go
Well I saw plenty of good reviews for RC and RK on many forum. Lots of people kept recommending the two brands. I am still very new to all of this, learning and absorbing it all. I will look into BDS kits, but I must admit this is the first time I heard of BDS.

Thank you CrazyCollinz.

and I was thinking death rays
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
Well I saw plenty of good reviews for RC and RK on many forum. Lots of people kept recommending the two brands. I am still very new to all of this, learning and absorbing it all. I will look into BDS kits, but I must admit this is the first time I heard of BDS.

Thank you CrazyCollinz.

and I was thinking death rays
Bds is ok, but not on par with rock krawler imo.

Metalcloak isnt a bad kit nor is currie, but they get way overpriced imo. Honestly in your scenario i dont think it matters unless you plan on doing more hardcore wheeling in the future, but if your gonna spend a few k RK is the best bang for buck. They have the abuse proof warranty also. Honestly in your scenario a basic coil lift would prolly be plenty and save you tons.
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Maertz 100%. BDS over RK?? No thanks.

-Dan
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
spinlock

Although some BDS products like the disco's have been popular at times, their lift kit product line has become extensive over time similar to Rancho's. This combination usually translates to average to decent performance and quality with good value. They tend to use as much engineering and parts across product lines which doesn't provide optimum performance but it does leverage economies of scale. I've never dealt with BDS's customer service but having a lot of products doesn't always translate to great customer support.

This can be either good or bad depending on your expectations. If you want the best handling, flexing or ruggedness this is not the best choice, but if you just want a decent product that gets the job done with reliable parts and you are not too discriminating on performance it may be a good choice.

BTW, given your driving habits, I would seriously consider the AEV lift kits, their road manners are top shelf.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

AEV x2 with Bilsteens for your situation. May require that you hit 2 banks.

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Kate Upton or Whoopi Goldberg?
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

The AEV 2.5" is a good kit for the money but stay away from their 3.5 and 4.5"

-Dan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.