Rough Country 4" X-series review and install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 4" X-series review and install

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 11-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rough Country was once made in the US. Way back when Chevy trucks had solid front axles, leaf springs on all four corners, and NP203 transfer cases.

The problem with RC is that while Detroit and Toledo auto engineering has changed since 1978, RC's engineering hasn't adapted. They build stuff more suited to impressing casual observers in parking lots and not serious off roaders.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

tact
takt/
noun
noun: tact
  1. 1.
    adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues.
    "the inspector broke the news to me with tact and consideration"

Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestockracing View Post
"He Himself Said",, Was this reply to me or about me... LOL! Not trying to Hyjack this thread but just trying to find out why they are so terrible..

So I guess you have had terrible products from rough country as well or did your buddy's friends coworker tell you about a guy who did? What was so bad about them?

I have the Series II on my TJ (Cheap) and with the 5100's it rides as good as the 3.5" Rubicon Express lift on a TJ in our club. I have about 35,000 on that lift and no problems other than the BDS track bar (Bushings went out 9 mos after I installed it).

I seen a 2 door JK the other day with the 4" x-Series, new driveshafts and 35's.....he had about 6,000 on it with no problems as of now....
Your comparing junk to junk. Rubicon Express is not a great brand either, so comparing rides from the RC to RE is moot.

Your JK example, case in point. 6K miles is no where near enough use on that suspension. That is still new. Of course he is happy with his newly lifted JK. In about a year his 4" lift will be 3" and he will be replacing joints as much as underwear.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
sonic289

Happy Holidays

Wow, I haven't logged in for quite awhile and see that this little gem blew up like I thought it would have originally.

Since my original post I have over 20k miles on my Jeep, I had a lot of really amazing wheeling trips with it (if you ever get a chance to get to Drummond Island do it). I know its going to piss a lot of people off but I have not had any problems with it what so ever. The jeep sits the same height now as it did the day I finished the lift, the shocks are not leaking, none of the joints have broke, no steering problems, no vibes, etc. I'm also still limping along on the stock drive shaft with no boot.

Is it the greatest lift of all time? Nope, maybe not even the greatest at that price point. If I was going to built a full blown trail rig I would not chose this lift, but then again I would also not be using the axles that came on it either, nor the gears, nor that ****ty shift linkage, etc. However, I drive highway 80 percent of the time and off road the other 20 so its completely fine for my use case.

As for if it is right for you or not, do your due diligence. Don't just read the forums, talk to your local clubs and see if people are using it. What is their experience? I honestly have not talked to one person who used the lift say they hated it. All the venom is typically "I heard", "I read" or "I think its junk because of X". Look, if I break a part I will be the first to post a picture of it and call it out with visual documentation. Heck, all the parts I've broke have been all crappy stock Jeep stuff.

Call the company, they have the data to say how many lifts they've sold compare that to how many people are complaining. I'm willing to bet you're going to find its WAY less than half a percent. Now compare it to people who truly have experience with the lift and are complaining, I bet now we are talking tenths of a percent. I agree parts of the lift are not made in America but then again Teraflex also has parts made in China and people seem to love their stuff. (I think its quality too).

Pick your application, chose your price point and do your due diligence. Is this as good as the high end offerings by other companies, absolutely not. But does the amount of wheeling that you plan call for that type of lift? Let the data help you make your decision, not emotion and it seems like I'm reading a lot of emotion when it comes to this lift for some reason. I'm not bashing any other lift and I'm for sure not pushing the RC lift. I'm just saying really do your research and review the data with a critical eye.
1991 Wrangler, all black (EDIT: Now Flat Tan), 2.5 liters of raw horsepower, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5" Mud Kings, Black Steel Wheels, Borla Exhaust, Line-X'ed interior, LED taillights, Cavalier front seats, etc. Khaki Jeep Club Memeber No. 2

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, etc.
sonic289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
bonestockracing
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sonic,

Glad to hear you Are satisfied with the lift. I probably go with this also. A majority of my time is on road and hauling kids to school with a lil mud and trail.
/l ,[____], White Jeep Club Member #7171999
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
bonestockracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

You should drive a jeep fitted with an AEV suspension, you'll think a RC lift was designed by monkeys. Oh wait, it was.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

A lot of the major lift companies build generic lifts for everything. In a newer ifs application, most of the junk is the same. Generic drop brackets, taller knuckles, spacers, lift blocks or add a leafs.
You get a huge benefit when buying a suspension kit from a company who specializes in jeep stuff alone. They do one thing, not half *** dozens of different rigs.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
sonic289

For sure you should consider AEV in this price range. Being close to me I visited their facility during my research phase and it's top notch. Most of the guys I wheel with have AEV lifts and I can't argue that they aren't nice, especially around town. Off road they have had no advantage over me at all.

Same with BDS, in my state, cool facility and they wheel what they build. A lot of times though their engineering staff was out wheeling and would "need to get back to me". That made think its a cool place to work but if I needed to count on talking to somebody then maybe they were not for me.

AEV was certainly in the running but in the end I didn't want to use cam bolts or LCA lowering brackets. Nothing against that design, I just preferred something different. I can't remember now but I think the BDS in this price point also used cam bolts.

If I had to do it all over again, knowing the fit and finish problems would I do it differently? Probably not, but I'm equipped to overcome those problems with tooling. If you don't want to clean up threads and don't mind the LCA brackets or cam bolt solution the AEV is a winner for sure, I think their kit even comes with a reprogrammer and some other accessories.
1991 Wrangler, all black (EDIT: Now Flat Tan), 2.5 liters of raw horsepower, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5" Mud Kings, Black Steel Wheels, Borla Exhaust, Line-X'ed interior, LED taillights, Cavalier front seats, etc. Khaki Jeep Club Memeber No. 2

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, etc.
sonic289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestockracing View Post
"He Himself Said",, Was this reply to me or about me... LOL! Not trying to Hyjack this thread but just trying to find out why they are so terrible..

So I guess you have had terrible products from rough country as well or did your buddy's friends coworker tell you about a guy who did? What was so bad about them?

I have the Series II on my TJ (Cheap) and with the 5100's it rides as good as the 3.5" Rubicon Express lift on a TJ in our club. I have about 35,000 on that lift and no problems other than the BDS track bar (Bushings went out 9 mos after I installed it).

I seen a 2 door JK the other day with the 4" x-Series, new driveshafts and 35's.....he had about 6,000 on it with no problems as of now....
That was about the OP's review. And yes I have ridden in RC lifted TJ's, I have also ridden in TJ's with OME and Clayton. Night and day difference in ride. I have no personal experience with RE, but I could go to the dealer and try one out for a JK and compare it to mine with OME and Bilstein. Might actually do that. Im sure the dealer would gladly take my jeep for that one, even though they cant have it.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.