The install was pretty straight forward. I read the online instructions a million times, ensured that I had all the correct tools, it calls for a pitman arm puller and a giant socket (33mm maybe) but NEVER uses them in the instructions. Not the printed instructions with the kit, not the newer updated instructions from their site
. Regardless, all the other tools listed were needed. Also there is an additional set of instructions about assembling the X-joints which is nowhere online so that was a surprise.
The fit and finish of all the parts left something to be desired. I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it great either. A lot of the threads on the bolts needed to be cleaned up some. I have a tap and die set so it was no big deal and it probably would have assembled with brute force but chasing the threads helped. Again, not awful but not stunning either.
The control arms are HUGE and seem to be built well. They also needed to be chased some. Again, probably would have went in with some force but since I had the tools I cleaned them up.
I assembled all the X-joints first, which was a good thing since I could not get the end cap to thread onto the last joint, which was an upper control arm. The threads looked good but something was wrong with it. A call to support and they shipped a new one no questions asked but it set me behind a week on getting it installed. Thankfully I ran into this before I started to really tear things down. The new joint they sent was black (instead of silver like the others) and looked way better fit and finish wise but the sleeve was smaller in diameter. Also they claim to include a bolt to replace the one you cut off for the upper control arm. Mine didn't have this bolt, not included with the kit or the additional joint they sent. We have a killer place locally that sells bolts but some people that only have Home Depot for their nut and bolts needs will be jacked since they didn't carry it. Also there are two different widths of sleeves that go into the upper control arms but no mention in the instructions of which go where. Just be aware.
I noticed in a lot of places that they said use XXmm wrench or XXmm socket but the sizes were wrong. This is splitting hairs since its obvious that its wrong and you can just get the right size but just something I thought I would mention.
The brake line mounts that they sent with the kit were all the exact same. So technically they would only bolt into where they were supposed to on like the front driver side and rear passenger side (basically two of them should have been reversed). For the other two I needed to drill a hole into the frame and tap it and just bolted it directly to the frame. This was the most annoying thing since it seems like common sense and seemed real careless. It was an easy fix but it just annoyed the hell out of me.
Speaking of brakes, there is no mention to which brake line goes where and they all have a place to go. Again this was annoying as hell. I ended up finding this picture of the front driver side brake line from the Rubicon Express install instructions for their lift. The view is behind the driver side caliper looking toward the front of the Jeep. Circled in red is how your line should look. Leaving this out was dumb on RC's part.
Other than those things everything else is straight forward. Again, all that stuff is not a deal breaker but it was like the fit and finish, not perfect and slightly annoying.