Roof Rack - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
lonewolf210
2008 JK Wrangler 

I run my thule with I think one of their largest boxes. I use mine as a ski vehicle and have fit something 6-7 pairs of skis and 3 snowboards in there. I mount to the freedom panels only because I am worried about the torque that much weight would produce if I didn't. If you are only using it for transporting a surf board not attaching to the freedom panels shouldn't be an issue at all. The only warning I would give is that my gutter mounts have rubbed away the paint in the places it mounte to. Doesn't look great with the rack off but at least I know where to put it back.

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

i also have that concern being that a 9ft surfboard can act like a sail. although i wont be at high speed on the hwy when i go to surf. do you think theres a way to avoid the gutter mounts rubbing the paint away? also, if you have it mounted to the freedom panels, how long does it take to take to front rack off? say you wanted to take panels off...

appreciate the info..
99 XJ Classic 4.0
robvb525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

i've got a thule rack for my jkur. I mount it to the freedom panels, definitely would suggest the wind deflector for it. I sourced all my parts off of ebay, picked up a set of used feet. thule 300, and make sure they come with locks, they won't mount securely without them. The bars are 52" i believe. It definitely makes a decent amount of noise, and your mileage takes a hit with the added resistance. I can get the rack off the truck front and rear in under 5 minutes. I haul snowboards and ski's, will most likely be using it occasionally with a 11'6" stand up paddle board
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraypat23 View Post
i've got a thule rack for my jkur. I mount it to the freedom panels, definitely would suggest the wind deflector for it. I sourced all my parts off of ebay, picked up a set of used feet. thule 300, and make sure they come with locks, they won't mount securely without them. The bars are 52" i believe. It definitely makes a decent amount of noise, and your mileage takes a hit with the added resistance. I can get the rack off the truck front and rear in under 5 minutes. I haul snowboards and ski's, will most likely be using it occasionally with a 11'6" stand up paddle board
interesting you mentioned the wind deflector. i had one years ago on previous vehicle and it made more noise with it on then before i had it. used it for 2 weeks and never used again. you find it helps on the JK? for around town driving i cant see it affecting mpg's too much, i drive 2 miles at like 30mph to go surf. not really concerned about that though. no choice anyway, 9ft log is not spending much time inside the JK. plus gotta have a rack..its a must. i have tried sourcing the parts, lost patience quickly. might just bite the bullet and buy the whole kit for $240.
99 XJ Classic 4.0
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #20
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
thank you for posintg this, saved me some loot. went on ebay last night and got the load bars brand new for $73 shipped. also just found the feet brand new for $100. granted they are 5 years old, but still brand new on the box. you mentioned you have to use the lock cylinders, can you elaboroate? i never used them on the racks on my XJ..
99 XJ Classic 4.0
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

i got the thule 300 feet used, and they didn't have lock cylinders. They don't screw down tight without them. Maybe brand new ones come with a plastic plug that'll let them get tight? Honestly, pick up an 8 pack of thule cores on ebay, mine were $40, that way if you add a ski rack or anything else thule you'll have one key that does everything. You won't have to worry about some punk unscrewing your $200 worth of racks and just walking away with them.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #22
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

awesome thanks, is there a model # for the lock cylinders? or are they universal?
99 XJ Classic 4.0
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THULE-588-8-...item460c31f3d4

that's what i have, real easy to do.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THULE-588-8-...item460c31f3d4

that's what i have, real easy to do.
i wont need 8, just 4, will this do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121056372353...84.m1423.l2649
99 XJ Classic 4.0
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

I only say get 8, because if you add stuff in the future, ski racks, bike racks, etc, it's nice to have the extra cores. If you just want the locks for the feet, that set of 4 will do just fine. for the extra $10-15, it's worth it to have the extras on hand.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

thank you for all your help..fired up to get my racks and get em on!
99 XJ Classic 4.0
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

finally got my Thule racks on. easy to install (very easy with 2 people). look great and work great too. only question i had when installing was how tight to tighten them down. already put a 9 foot surfboard on and took a ride to the beach with winds gusting to 30mph. all good! although when i got back i noticed the back rack had a little movement, tightened it down one turn on each side. i sourced all the parts on ebay and saved around $100 as opposed to buying as a complete kit. i think i spent about $180. it will take about 2 minutes to take the front rack off, when i plan to take the freedom panels off.
racks.jpg  
99 XJ Classic 4.0

Tags
rack , roof rack , roofrack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.