Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof Rack

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
NYCunlimited10
2009 JK Wrangler 

Roof Rack

What racks are you guys using with an jk unlimited? I want one that comes right up to the front Freedom Panels. Also, how are these racks mounted. I am not a fan pf Rack tubing going front/back, side2side, up/down, attached to bumpers and special mounts. Are there any designed to overhang above the freedom panels without drilling in upfront?

Anyone mount a roof rack direct to the Hard Top?
Sealant, Silicon?
Special Screws, Washers, Seals, Waterproofing?

Where do you run the wiring when there is lighting up top?

Thanks.

2009 Silver JKU, Auto4x4, Painted Hardtop, Teraflex Sliders, 2.5 RC BB, RC Spacers, 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac, MBRP Tire Carrier Extension, AEV Snorkel, IPF 968, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, Hella700FF, ARB Deluxe Bumper, Bilstein 5100's, PSC EVAP Skid, Riddler Diff Covers, Nitro Axle Sleeves, Synergy C Gussets, Axle/Trans Bellows, Teraflex Bump Stops
NYCunlimited10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

MBRP JK Rack, sold by MBRP canada and Quadratech-

Mounts to the JKU hardtops sides and will support over 750 lbs
Mine is the basic and options include--baslet/extensions forward/overhead light bar-
Tey list racks for 2dr, but you gotta talk toem

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
JKTejano
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the same MBRP rack on my 2010 JK Wrangler 2dr as JIMBOX. The rack is solid and can hold a lot of weight. The bad side to this rack is noise. The rack is by no means aerodynamic. You can crank up the stereo volume but the wind noise is still noticeable. Something to consider before you go boring holes in your hard top. I found the instructions weren't clear for this part time do-it yourselfer. I also had to grind and cut the front brackets to sit right. The pros to this rack is that it's solid and you can stack some pounds on it. Great feature is that you can also use it as a support to remove the hard top. I recommend you pre-wire the rack during the installation if you're going with lights. The rack is expensive but you'll find good deals if you check around. Hope this helps.
JKTejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking into the Yakima roof rack to haul my fishing kayaks.

Simple, light weight, reliable brand, good price.
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've been looking too
Looking for one that connects to the side rain gutters and the rear window hinges.
I've seen people with them driving buy but cant get a make or model of the rack.
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
NYCunlimited10
2009 JK Wrangler 

That is an interesting concept. I never thought a rack might use the rear hinges. Do any racks have a simple track system that attaches to the top of the roof with support brackets on the inside and seals to prevent water leakage? I like the MBRP rack and yet its a little too much down the sides, not discreet enough. Also my hard top (not the top portion) is painted silver to match the body and I don't want to start drilling or covering. The Yakima racks have a universal system which is nice but everything starts an unnecessary 4-6 inches higher up as it is a basket on a mount, on top of a track, which is very useful with lots of accessories, not very discreet. I like the simple old school safari styled surco racks but I am not aware of mounting options.
photo-2-.jpg  
2009 Silver JKU, Auto4x4, Painted Hardtop, Teraflex Sliders, 2.5 RC BB, RC Spacers, 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac, MBRP Tire Carrier Extension, AEV Snorkel, IPF 968, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, Hella700FF, ARB Deluxe Bumper, Bilstein 5100's, PSC EVAP Skid, Riddler Diff Covers, Nitro Axle Sleeves, Synergy C Gussets, Axle/Trans Bellows, Teraflex Bump Stops
NYCunlimited10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The only reason for the side attachment of the MSRP rack--

Is to be able to support so much weight and after 2½ years--NO LEAKY

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a Garvin Industries Track Rack, a 1/2 rack. The track it is mounted on bolts through the top and is well supported underneath with aluminum backing plates. I wish the rack extended further forward for more room, but also further rearward and to the side, to make loading easier. I'll post a photo below.

I will end up replacing the Garvin rack with either the forthcoming AEV rack, see the photo below, or with the Front Runner rack. AEV's rack is a 3/4 rack, Front Runner offers both a full rack and a 3/4 rack, these racks bolt through the hard top. See Front Runner: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/cart.php

My Jeep with the Garvin Rack:

The AEV rack:
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
LYTSOUT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sorry to thread-jack but rather than start a new thread i figured i'd ask here b/c i'm interested in the same thing only for a tj (direct, hard top-mounted roof rack). do you guys know if this exists? i looked thru the websites you mentioned above and didn't find anything. i don't plan on loading much weight on it...really just for a hi-lift jack, shovel, and maybe some other small things...so it doesn't have to be monster strong. thx guys.
LYTSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm still considering what would be best, don't really need until spring/summer so don't intend to buy until then. Top off needs for rack as well. So, the Kargomaster Congo Cage seems like the best option for me, removable when hard top on and I need park in my garage with about 80 inches only of space.

I've also wondered from a cost standpoint about just putting bars attached to hardtop to put cross members on or my safari top, setup much like a factory rail setup would be......don't really see this option looking in the catalogs and the various online sources though.

Also, drilling into the hard top, wonder about the strength over time, any failures with this over time?
JASJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
slimtim454
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCunlimited10 View Post
What racks are you guys using with an jk unlimited? I want one that comes right up to the front Freedom Panels. Also, how are these racks mounted. I am not a fan pf Rack tubing going front/back, side2side, up/down, attached to bumpers and special mounts. Are there any designed to overhang above the freedom panels without drilling in upfront?

This is my Thule setup. No sealant, no silicon, no drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappy View Post
I've been looking too
Looking for one that connects to the side rain gutters and the rear window hinges.
I've seen people with them driving buy but cant get a make or model of the rack.

Thule 300 Gutter Foot Pack
Thule 58 inch Load Bar
Thule 52 inch 873XT Fairing
Thule 544 4-Pack Lock Cylinder
slimtim454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
jsb432

I wonder what the OP went with? I've been looking at options for a few weeks, and decided to order the Thule track system with the new AeroBlade bars. Will require some drilling (like the Garvin Track Rack system, Yakima tracks, etc.) but I think the look is much better than the gutter style feet (no offense) - and it should be a lot quieter. Will be putting a Thule box on it for the winter, then either bikes or kayaks during warmer months.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw a post where someone did a similar setup, and also put shorter tracks on the freedom tops, so they had three foot/bar positions (all the way from the front to back windshields), giving lots of flexibility.
jsb432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wild Boar Cargo Racks
By far the best looking, bolts to the windshield brackets and rear quarter panel (doesn't punch holes in the hard top,) and has a hinged top so you can take your soft top up and down without removing the rack. They offer them in square back or fast back. I ordered one for my 2 door JKR, should be here next week along with their fast back hard top.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
TripleJeep_99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Running Thule gutter mounts with a Yakima box for the last 4 winters & I keep my mounts off the freedom panels.

08 Sahara Van/6spd - 3:73 gearing/35x12.50R17 STT's/LoD bumpers/OME HD Coilspring lift/AEV snorkel & AFe drop-in filter/Warn XD9000i/Superchips
TripleJeep_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

to you guys with the Thule racks (no drilling). few questions: what is your overall take on them? i would maily use them for 9ft surfboard. and i see some mounted them behind hte freedom panels. does that work out ok? how was the install? how much did you pay?

thanks..new JK owner..
99 XJ Classic 4.0
robvb525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack , roof rack , roofrack

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.