Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
DLR1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Roof Rack

Hey evryone I'm new here and I just boutht a 2010 4dr JK. Has anyone ever mounted a Yakima roof rack to the factory hard top. I just got all the parts today, now I need the guts to drill the holes in the roof. anyone out there that has done this to your jeep, or a camper shell.

DLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

do a search on the forum before you drill. Not sure what you plan on putting up there, but the ply's on the roof are the weakest part of the top. Not saying it won't work - people have done it but there are far stronger, less expensive and less intrusive options. Look at Thule gutter racks.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
DLR1
2010 JK Wrangler 

roof rack

i have the yakima gutter rack but Yakima's website doesnt recomend putting weight on the gutters
Unread 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

go gobi!!!!!!!!
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

did not have to drill my rack it just attaches to the rain gutters.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
mrbodywork
2009 JK Wrangler 

Gobi x 2. Solid, multipurpose, looks great
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
DLR1
2010 JK Wrangler 

roof rack

Well i installed the Yakima rack last night. It took some time to lay out where everything went, but it was pretty straight forward. I made a lot of calls to Yakima suport and they told me about all the testing they do and they were confident with the custom/ perminent rack being drilled through the hard top. I already had all the Yakima bike and snowboard carriers as well as a cargo box. Next is to get a load warrier basket. My set up is the same as you would see on a truck cap, my buddy has the same set up on his Tacoma. I'll post pics sometime. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the short tracks drilled into the front (freedom tops) & the long tracks onto the hardtop itself.

So, when I carry the long flyrods I can separate them as far as needed or keep them short for the ski & bike racks. These bad boys are NOT going to go anywhere it has giant washers underneath too.

Hardtop section:

Freedom Top section:

Ski& fly rod holder on the Right side:

Driver side has bike rack:

Long enough when wife says "Get a ladder & start painting!"
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
RickRod4769
2010 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=OregonVette;9611613]I have the short tracks drilled into the front (freedom tops) & the long tracks onto the hardtop itself.

So, when I carry the long flyrods I can separate them as far as needed or keep them short for the ski & bike racks. These bad boys are NOT going to go anywhere it has giant washers underneath too.

Hardtop section:

Freedom Top section:

Ski& fly rod holder on the Right side:

Driver side has bike rack:

Hey 2008 JK WRANGLER, would you be able to post the specs to your set-up? I looked at yamika website and couldn't find those tracks..
Thanks,
Rick
RickRod4769 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
RickRod4769
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hey 2008 JK WRANGLER, would you be able to post the specs to your set-up? I looked at yamika website and couldn't find those tracks..
Thanks,
Rick
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
DLR1
2010 JK Wrangler 

rack

On yakima website you have to look under the custom install section to find the tracks. I did not use the tracks on mine, therefore the crossbar spread is fixed. I used the control towers and landing pad #6. The pads are mounted directly to the roof. I set the crossbar spread at 32" which will accomidate all the yakima accesories I need, including bike carriers, snow board, Cargo box and the load warrier basket. I figured if down the road I needed any adjustment I can add a section of tracks. But I have had my Yakima rack on 4 other vehicles and never changed the crossbar spread once I got it set up.
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
RickRod4769
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodywork View Post
Gobi x 2. Solid, multipurpose, looks great
I like this rack system!!! How much is the Gobi Rack? And being front of the rack mounts to the windshield, could you still use the mounting bracket the goes on the windshield for the aux lighting?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.