Roof leaking again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof leaking again

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Roof leaking again

Some time ago I had a thread on here talking about the roof leak on my 2012wranglers freedom top leaking. Well it leaks again for the 5th time, really about to lose my cool with the dealer. My front panels actually fill with water, they have already replaced them once, new seals all around, and also new door seals. I suspect I need a whole roof, they can never find a hole or crack in my panels. They act like its my fault and acted quite sarcastic when I called. I've only had the panels off like 5 times in 14 months, so to me its a defect in how they made them. Again its not just a leak, they fill up with water, you have to hold them vertical a few minutes to let them drain out. Hoping this time the replace the whole roof.

Needed to vent as I'm getting quite mad over this.

danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep has been in the shop no less than seven or eight times trying to fix my leaks from the passenger side. It is ridiculous . Within the next week or so, I'm going to try to find the number to Chrysler and get this resolved before it's out of warranty. My only regret is that I didn't catch it early enough on in ownership to give it back under lemon law- now that I've poured money into it, I want to keep it if at all possible and I'm certainly not trading it in on a new one.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Really?

You bought a vehicle with a multi-piece removeable roof and body on frame design.If you take it offroad it will tweak the body and cause leaks,it's unavoidable.
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Really?

You bought a vehicle with a multi-piece removeable roof and body on frame design.If you take it offroad it will tweak the body and cause leaks,it's unavoidable.
I'm more than willing to accept a few drips, its not acceptable to spend this amount of money and have it rain inside my jeep. If this roof don't work on this jeep discontinue its production, and refund my money. Hardtop is like $1500 more than a soft top.
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

My soft top was leaking alot couple weeks ago, then this week when it rained nothing. It was leaking so bad the passenger side floor was soaking wet and so was the seat.

i did notice the foam seals need to be replaced as they are getting pretty worn so ill probably get the dealership to replace them next time I am at the dealership.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski999 View Post
I'm more than willing to accept a few drips, its not acceptable to spend this amount of money and have it rain inside my jeep. If this roof don't work on this jeep discontinue its production, and refund my money. Hardtop is like $1500 more than a soft top.
Guess you never been in a $120k H1,they leak badly with the soft tops and removeable hard tops.
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I really don't understand why people get so upset about their top leaking. Perhaps you should try a soft top for a change.

I hope the stealer can fix your issue for you

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sell the hard top, get a soft top, and use the left over cash for a mod or two.
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine leaks around the passenger door- I wouldn't be complaining if it leaked through the soft top.....but I have a hardtop. My hardtop has leaked before, but I just have to tighten the screws up damn near with a sledgehammer and it stops. The OP is saying his fill with water, definitely something not right.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with the dealer, chysler is sending a rep monday to look at the jeep since this is the 5th time it has leaked, and the roof panels fill with water, I'm not talking a drip when you pull my panels off after a rain storm, there is usally several quarts of water in them. He told me they have like 6 other jeeps he is supposed to look at also, they are not sure what they can do to repair it, he says chysler will handle it now since I'm already talking about invoking my lemon law rights.

Sounds to me like this dealership had a group of jeeps deliverd to it with defective roofs. They have never replaced the whole roof, just the 2 removable panels.

I luv my wrangler, I sure hope the rep has a way to handle this.
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Guess you never been in a $120k H1,they leak badly with the soft tops and removeable hard tops.
Yeah I was in the military a LONG time, I even drove the old m151 jeeps, I expect them to leak. For some reason you seem to think I should accept the leaks and live with it. This is not a military jeep, its my jeep and having to place plastic over the dash while I drive in the rain is not what I expect.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Really?

Sorry but the only way I can think of responding to your statement is bull donkey. A little strong I know but what you said is so untrue.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well got the wrangler back again, once again they have replaced all the seals, seals on the roof-freedom tops- and the door seals. The tech they sent in told them that they were over laping the seals. OK I can buy that but I guess they installed those seals wrong at the factory also because it started leaking 2 months after I bought it. Also they had 5 other wranglers there with the same issue. I just hope its fixed. The dealership is really sucking up to me now to, since I wrote them the worst review I could when Jeep e-mailed me a customer comment review.

At this point if it starts leaking again, I'll just go to the dealer where I bought my Liberty. They actually care about their customers there.
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, we had heavy rain sunday and guess what ? MY ROOF STILL LEAKS !!!! Right now the deaaler told me they are not sure what they are going to do, actually wife called them while I was at work today and she is P'ed off. LOL, she told them since you can't seem to fix it, that she guess's she will be dropping this jeep off and driving off in a brand new one. I have hit the lemon law limit here in delaware with this issue. Lets see what happens now.

Oh, both panels are full of water again and since they replaced the door seals it leaks even worse.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Damm thatís ridicules, Iím so mad for you. Have you arranged a meeting with the regional service rep and service manager together yet?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.