Rolling Soft Top Side Windows? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rolling Soft Top Side Windows?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
NWrunr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rolling Soft Top Side Windows?

I have seen people say that they just roll up their side windows. How do you do this? I must just be that inept. Any help please?

NWrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I lay mine so they're both face down, with the forward (rigid) edges together.
I have a hospital sheet (like a "single" bed sheet), and I lay the first window down on it, lengthwise, near the corner. (with the sheet lengthwise, too)
I fold the sheet over it, then lay the other window down on top of it
Then, I roll them both up beginning with the rigid edges. This way, neither window is bare to the outside, and neither is touching one another.
Here's an okay pic of the result. They stay in the back lockbox all summer long, and they still look like new.
I hope this helps

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine are rolled up all winter in a bag the ex made me. Not too hard to do but as mentioned above, you should put something between them when you roll them up. Just put the hard edge's on the bottom and start rolling.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

to repeat.. put something between them!!! I didn't have this happen to my TJ windows, but they weren't tinted.. not sure if it that's what the difference is.. but I had layed the windows flat in the back of the Jeep, and it was partly cloudy weather. 3 hours later, I go to put the top up because rain was on the way, and the windows had stuck together. After getting them apart, it left marks where they had stuck together. They look like bubbles, and I can't get them off...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
NWrunr
2012 JK Wrangler 

So i have the bottom hard edge..and the forward hard edge at 90 degrees. so bring them together and then roll up the rest? I must really be having a non thinking day.
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

The hard edge is the part that attaches to the door surround. The strip that goes into the bed rail will bend and roll. If I didn't have mine in storage I'd snap a pic.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's a snapshot. Never mind my foot, but they've been rolled up tight for a few weeks, and tend to take that shape temporarily!

The two forwardmost edges(that fit inside your door surrounds), with the unbendable plastic, line up together, and form something solid to start rolling with. The bottoms of the windows are plastic, too, but they'll bend and rollup. Think of it like a sleeping bag...

Unread 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have one of these, I am sure it can be made at home but I don't have the time or the skill. Clover Patch

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
NWrunr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for everyones input. I feel so much smarter....I wasnt thinking that that bottom plastic would roll.
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWrunr View Post
Thanks for everyones input. I feel so much smarter....I wasnt thinking that that bottom plastic would roll.
I was about to say, "Don;t be afraid to bend the bottom edge." It will roll up. No need to make it super tight, just tight enough for storage.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
jbeek
2008 JK Wrangler 

For a moment I thought the OP was asking about rolling the windows up while they're still on the Jeep, Landrover-style ...
--The things 5-year-olds say...
jbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

If you are too lazy or don't want to make one, there is a company that sells a soft, three layer wrap for all 3 windows. It also comes with a storage sack that you can clip onto your jeep. I can't remember who makes it, but I bought it last year and if you can get pas the fact that you are paying 80 bucks for something you can make for 20 , it really is a great thing to have.

1983 lime green CJ7 - 258 with DUI & Weber, Crane cam, 2" lift, MTs w/ BFGs

2010 2-Door, 6-Speed Black JK Sahara - Teraflex 3" Coil Lift with Front Lower and Rear Upper Flex Arms - Bilstein 5100 Shocks -JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar - Teraflex Front Knuckle Gussets - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - Rock Hard Transfer case skid - Rock Hard Evap relocation Kit - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - MBRP off-road exhaust - AEV Pintler Wheels - GoodYear MTR/K 35x12.5x17 - Detroit Track Loc Carrier up Front - Yukon 4.88 Gears - Cobra 75 CB with Cool Tech bracket - Die-Tech mirror relocation brackets
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBigJon View Post
I am sure it can be made at home but I don't have the time or the skill. Clover Patch
All you have to do is FOLD A SHEET! One fold! It's a bedsheet!

You don't have to "make " anything, and you barely have to buy it!

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Damtall55
2012 JK Wrangler 

I actually bought a Clover Patch soft window roll from Quadratec earlier this year. It has a soft fabric in between each window to protect it. It then rolls up into a carrier. Works great and I highly recommend it!!
Damtall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thread is about a year old :P

The cloverpatch is nice with the felt and bag to clip it to the rollbar.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.