Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid-Arm Flex and RRD Shocks Installed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid-Arm Flex and RRD Shocks Installed!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid-Arm Flex and RRD Shocks Installed!

Part 1:

After ordering on May 3rd, I finally received everything on June 15th. The wait was rough, but well worth it. My buddy, Matt, and I got started with the install after work on Friday, and we finished late Saturday afternoon. The total install took about 10 hours, but we weren't rushing at all and went through some beers.

First, the loot.

We started with the back thinking that it would be quicker and we could get it done that night. Pulled the shocks, springs, trackbar, and all the other brackets associated with my previous 2.5" spacer lift.

The rear springs were significantly taller, but went in easily.

Got rid of the stock lower control arms.

The trackbar bracket required some drilling. The hole on the differential side was a little of a challenge to drill with the differential kind of on the way.

The arms, and trackbars are made from solid steel and are ridiculously heavy. The curve provides better ground clearance.

Just putting things back on from this point. Spring went on easily. Everything fit well.

Extended brake lines for the back.

Unhooked the e-brake lines per the install instructions.

Here's the finished rear end.

On to the front. Shocks and sway bar links removed.

Trackbar removed. Again, the new one is stout.

Teraflex bumpstops installed. They measure just under 3".

New trackbar installed.

Control arms and springs installed. The front spring installation was possibly the most challenging part of the install. The 3" bumpstops on the bottom perch made it very difficult to put in. We used some spring compressors rented from O'Reilly's (free) to get them in. I don't think they would've gone in without them.

Rock Krawler RRD 2.0 emulsion shocks. I went with these because I wanted a quality shock that is tough and rebuildable. For now, I chose to stick with the stock valving, but valving can be changed upon order or at a later date. It's also capable of accepting a reservoir if I wanted to add one later.

Sway bar links and shocks installed.

Unread 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Part 2:
The mess thus far.

New brake lines in, bled, and completed.

Here's the final result.

I've only got to ride it around town today, so only driveway shots for the time being. Planning a trip to the mountains maybe next weekend and a offroad competition in a few weeks. I'll post here if I get some pics.

The ride is incredibly smooth. There's much less body roll, and it feels like I have much more control of the Jeep than I did before. Any bumps are almost instantly absorbed without rattling the Jeep. Tight turns are handled well and are easier to manage.

I tried to drive as aggressively as possible around town and a short stint on the highway, but needless to say, I haven't got to comprehensively test the system out yet. From what I've seen today, I'm incredibly satisfied with how it drives and look forward to some more serious action.
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
mm73
2011 JK Wrangler 

Man that is a very good write up with all the pics. Im looking at getting a 5.5 kit from RK. Your jeep looks amazing. If you get any pics with it flexing or anything like that please post them up and send me a message so I can be sure to check them out. If you dont mind me asking, why did it take so long for you to get the kit, and about how much was it with shipping and all. You can pm me if you would rather not say. Anyway, really good looking jeep and I want to see some flexing picks.
mm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Looney
2011 WK 

this is the same lift i am looking to switch over to. I was thinking of going with the FOX racing shocks instead of the RRDs but am interested in your opinion on the RRDs. i hear they are great though. definately update us on this lift.
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

The list price for the lift on Northridge is $1050. The shocks were $150 each for a total of $1650. I got free shipping, too.

I was thinking about going with Bilstein's 5100s, which are supposed to be great. That would've put the total at $1370, but I wanted something re-buildable.

This is a popular time of the year for lifting and RK has become really popular lately, so there was some lead times associated with getting a lift through them. Good stuff, though!
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great, congrats, seems to be a great kit. Tires look a tad small now...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribic-TJ View Post
Great, congrats, seems to be a great kit. Tires look a tad small now...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked
LOL, I know. I didn't take any before and after measurements, but I think I got a lot more than 3.5" out of the lift. The 33's look small, but it doesn't look too bad in person. I only have 3900 miles on the tires, so I'm going to try to roll with them for awhile.
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
mm73
2011 JK Wrangler 

thats not a bad price at all. I actully wanted to go with the bilsteins 5100's but Im waiting to see what the prices are going to be. i really wish they made a 4.5" kit. I really didnt want to go with a 5.5" kit and I wanted just a little bit more than the 3.5" kit because I plan on running a 37" tire. thats my reason for just going ahead and deciding on the 5.5" kit. Now its just a decision on the shocks. I have had bilsteins before and they are awesome.
mm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is the Kit I am going to buy myself once the bonus check shows up.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Your Jeep looks great and very nice write-up.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice. I don't have any experience with their shocks, but their springs do ride great with 5100s.

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good
For future reference it is easiest to put the front bump-stop spacers inside the springs before installing then bolting them down after the springs are in place.

I'm going to add this to the F.A.Q. under the suspension heading

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Great write up! This is a testement to how well the RK kits go in and how well they ride! Now, take that thing in the dirt and get us some flex pictures!!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Very nice.

I have been having an internal debate on whether to pull the trigger in this, or save up for coilovers. Do I need coilovers? Probably not, but maybe. I've been running a RC BB for six months, and need to go bigger.
0sevenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
DailyDrvn5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hah now your going to say im copying you. I too have a surf blue two door with a cheap 2.5 BB and will likely be going to the RK 3.5 Midarm, maybe the 2.5 Max travel.

Heres my random question. do the rear shocks come with hardware or do they reuse the stock bolts? I used extenders on mine and I think I lost the stock bolts

Im interested in both flex pics and your opinions on the RRD shocks. Im torn between them and the standard fox shocks

Looks great

94 YJ, 95 YJ, 80 CJ-5
DailyDrvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.