rock krawler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > rock krawler

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

rock krawler

Ok guys

I have decided on the 2.5 rock krawler stock mod lift for my 2013 sport. Now I need to look at the options for shocks and any other items that might be needed to complete the lift. Is there anything other than brake lines needed. Can anyone post a picture with the lift and 33s. I don't want to go larger than my current 33s but I don't want it to look stupid. Who are the best vendors to buy from

aj_del23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I would honestly step up the 2.5" Flex. It will get you the brake lines plus it will add in the front lower adjustable control arms. These are really important as it will fix your castor. This will make it handle and feel like it does stock. The Stock Mod, it can feel a bit flighty and wonder on road.

If you would like, we would be more than happy to help put together a package deal for you and get you everything you need to get setup!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

^^Boom.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would like a quote but only for the stock mod and shocks I have to ration out the money I spend on my jeep so the wife doesn't noticed plus I don't mind a little flight in my ride gives added excitement lol my last lifted truck was a 97 ranger with 8 inches suspension and 3 body on 35s with no sway bars
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

There's nothing at all wrong with just the Stock Mod kit. You don't need new brake lines....you can take the brackets off the front lines and zip tie them to the shock body and get bracket extensions for the rear (or make your own). You can add control arms, braided brake lines, etc later as your budget permits.
As far as the shocks I have the Bilstein 5100 with the RK kit, and the Rancho 9000 on my Currie setup.....I'm very partial to the Ranchos.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del23 View Post
Ok guys

I have decided on the 2.5 rock krawler stock mod lift for my 2013 sport. Now I need to look at the options for shocks and any other items that might be needed to complete the lift. Is there anything other than brake lines needed. Can anyone post a picture with the lift and 33s. I don't want to go larger than my current 33s but I don't want it to look stupid. Who are the best vendors to buy from

You should at very least get lower control arms since you'll be using 2.5" 4 door coils on a 2 door. A 2 door will see 3.5" to 4"+ out of Rock Krawlers 2.5" coils. If you want to keep it cheap and simple, you could get the 1.5" instead which you'll see 2.5" to 3"+ out of.

33's are going to look awful small on 3.5"- 4" of lift and your budget is going to feel awful small when you start accommodating that amount of lift.

Synergy, OME, Teraflex, AEV, and Metalcloak are all worth looking into also. May find something that better fits your needs. Start with a good set of coils, and you can always build off of them.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

This is my '12 JK with RK 2.5" Flex and 5100 shocks. It's on 305/70/16 (~ 33s but more like 32s..)
drivers-side-rk-2.5.jpg
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
aj_del23
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bhoch

I like you jeep mine will have pretty much the same set up I run 285 7 r16. How much lift did you get out of it
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok guys

As others have said, Bilsteins are a great shock out of the box for Jeeps. I'm going to PM you a quote for a set of 5100's and the Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod Lift Kit you were looking at. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Bhoch

I like you jeep mine will have pretty much the same set up I run 285 7 r16. How much lift did you get out of it
I got right at 3.25 in the front and ~2.75 in the rear.

Note - I have ACE front and rear bumpers (wiht tire carier) on as well, and let's just say.. they are not light.

I would consider doing the exhaust spacers at the same time as well - help slow down wear and tear on Front DS when in the trails.. as the rubber boot can get torn hitting the exhaust (possibly)
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
You should at very least get lower control arms since you'll be using 2.5" 4 door coils on a 2 door. A 2 door will see 3.5" to 4"+ out of Rock Krawlers 2.5" coils. If you want to keep it cheap and simple, you could get the 1.5" instead which you'll see 2.5" to 3"+ out of.

33's are going to look awful small on 3.5"- 4" of lift and your budget is going to feel awful small when you start accommodating that amount of lift.

Synergy, OME, Teraflex, AEV, and Metalcloak are all worth looking into also. May find something that better fits your needs. Start with a good set of coils, and you can always build off of them.

This is a 2DR with RK Stock Mod Lift. Got about 3" all the way around. The only other mod was Teraflex exhaust spacer.....didn't need control arms, 29,000 miles on lift and zero problems, alignment is perfect.
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post

This is a 2DR with RK Stock Mod Lift. Got about 3" all the way around. The only other mod was Teraflex exhaust spacer.....didn't need control arms, 29,000 miles on lift and zero problems, alignment is perfect.

Lot's of room for you to move up to 35's.

Alignment may be OK, but without adjusting the caster I wouldn't call it "perfect".

It's not a big deal on small lifts under 3"(actual lift), but once you start getting 3"+ (actual lift) it's time to stop cutting corners and plan on needing a more complete kit... especially on a brand new Jeep.

Rock Krawler's 2.5" coils are advertised to give an "up fitted" 4 door 3" of lift in the front and an "up fitted" 2 doors 3.5" in the front. Using the stock mod on a 4 door may be ok, but for a 2 door, I would at least step up to the "Flex" System.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Lot's of room for you to move up to 35's.

Alignment may be OK, but without adjusting the caster I wouldn't call it "perfect".

It's not a big deal on small lifts under 3"(actual lift), but once you start getting 3"+ (actual lift) it's time to stop cutting corners and plan on needing a more complete kit... especially on a brand new Jeep.

Rock Krawler's 2.5" coils are advertised to give an "up fitted" 4 door 3" of lift in the front and an "up fitted" 2 doors 3.5" in the front. Using the stock mod on a 4 door may be ok, but for a 2 door, I would at least step up to the "Flex" System.
Well, by perfect I mean just about perfect according to the alignment after I installed it. Yes there is room for 35"s but to say 33"s will look tiny, and to say he has to get control arms, and more is just not factually accurate.
Damn, these threads always seem to turn into this, it bugs me when vendors step in and try to upsell guys....but sometimes guys get carried away with the difference between what guys really need and what you want them to buy. The thing is, you are perfectly fine buying a kit like the stock mod and adding to it as you can afford it, or need.
I'm not directing this at you SLADE, it's a generalization
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not just trying to sell parts. I don't really think too highly of Rock krawler to begin with so I could care less if they make a sale or not. I would make the same recommendation to any one going over the 3" point regardless of manufacturer.

I recommend lower front control arms because 3" is generally a good/safe cut off point for using the bare minimum when lifting. Anything less than 3" and you can get by with just coils and shocks. The closer you get to 3" the more recommended/needed track bar correction becomes. Once you know your going over 3", at very least Lower front control arms should be a priority and upper rear control arms should start to be considered.

You can put the same coils on 10 different Jeeps and end up with 5 that are comfortable to drive and 5 that feel flighty or like to wonder. Too many variations to know for sure. When lifting a brand new Jeep I'd prefer to lean toward the safe/comfortable side when it comes to handling and driving comfort.

I think KrawlOff-Road gave pretty good advise and wasn't just trying to sell more product. (even though he is selling Rock krawler )
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

And as I said, he can add the control arms and stuff as budget allows......plenty of kits in that 2.5" range that don't include control arms.....do they improve ride quality? Absolutely! Does he HAVE TO add them now? No he doesn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.