River Raider vs. EVO skids for 2013 JKU - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > River Raider vs. EVO skids for 2013 JKU

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

River Raider vs. EVO skids for 2013 JKU

I'm making plans for adding skid plates to my 2013 JKU Rubicon. (Not lifted at the moment.) So far, I'm seriously considering River Raider or EVO systems. Pros and Cons as I see it:

RiverRaider:
Pros: full coverage with no gaps; lighter weight (alu)
Cons: expense; no coverage of exhaust loop

EVO:
Pros: good coverage; strength (steel); covers exhaust loop; price
Cons: weight; gap allows debris to enter at exhaust crossover for potential fire hazard

It's that fire hazard that has me hesitating on the EVO. In Utah, that's kind of a big deal in the summer. The price of EVO is very attractive.

Love to hear your input on this - including factors I haven't considered, or perhaps alternatives (Rock Hard?).

Thanks all.

kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the RR motor trans in steal. works , has a very smooth transition to the t box. you will need to get a valve on the oil pan to make oil changes less messy.
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have RROR skids & have beat them and they have held up well. I have the steel skids. I've buggered up a few of the fasteners (they use a hex head thing). I've also broken the existing nut off inside of the frame. But, I had a tab welded to grade8 nuts and that solves the problem (of the broken fasteners).
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I ran the RR skids for a season and I have mixed feelings....

The good: engine and tranny skid. Excellent fit, form, and function. The tranny skid could use some additional gusseting as I have bent it a bit, but it did its job. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone.

The bad: the transfer case and gas tank skids are total junk. It is honestly just a piss poor design. Fit and form is great, function is a joke. I bent the transfer case skid to the point it was actually contacting the transfer case, then straightened it and rebent it numerous times. The two main weaknesses are the lack of gusseting and the junction of the two skids has no support.

IMO, I would leave the transfer case and gas tank skid out of it anf just beef up the stock tcase skid with some 1/4" plate between the tubing, its a perfectly good unit.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just to add, I know people do better with pictures...

This was after ONE trail ride on what I would consider a moderate (5-6) rated trail. I usually only play with 8's and 9's.

Build Thread

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are those steel?
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yep, steel

Build Thread

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wahoo! And a good time was had by all.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

ASFIR also has a nice aluminum setup as well. i think they still offer 10% off for forum members.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have had great luck with my RR skids - I used better hardware than was provided, after my trans skid came loose (dangling from bottom of jeep), and perhaps is the reason I have had good luck (since then). No complaints with gas tank skid. Has taken abuse.

I just can't believe that an aluminum setup is going to withstand the kind of abuse that I know I throw at it...but if you're considering aluminum, look to Nemesis. I believe they just recently released their skids.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I ran the RR skids for a season and I have mixed feelings....

The good: engine and tranny skid. Excellent fit, form, and function. The tranny skid could use some additional gusseting as I have bent it a bit, but it did its job. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone.

The bad: the transfer case and gas tank skids are total junk. It is honestly just a piss poor design. Fit and form is great, function is a joke. I bent the transfer case skid to the point it was actually contacting the transfer case, then straightened it and rebent it numerous times. The two main weaknesses are the lack of gusseting and the junction of the two skids has no support.

IMO, I would leave the transfer case and gas tank skid out of it anf just beef up the stock tcase skid with some 1/4" plate between the tubing, its a perfectly good unit.
Ouch - that's not fun. Thanks for the info and pics.

I guess JCR Offroad makes something similar (in steel). Anyone know about that?
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Trans skid Dangler...replaced button heads with grade 8 hex heads

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
I just can't believe that an aluminum setup is going to withstand the kind of abuse that I know I throw at it...but if you're considering aluminum, look to Nemesis. I believe they just recently released their skids.
I don't plan to abuse it all that much - just looking for enough protection to give me some peace of mind. Less weight to maintain gas mileage as much as possible is a good thing.

Nemesis looks a bit pricy - $1750. I don't think my peace of mind is that expensive.
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Just to add, I know people do better with pictures...

This was after ONE trail ride on what I would consider a moderate (5-6) rated trail. I usually only play with 8's and 9's.
A 5-6 trail can be done in a STOCKER? 8-9 is about a 4-4.5 hear we use the 1-5 scale not the 1-10. I run lighter side of 4 trails and every once in a time ill follow our HC group if i feel stupid.

For you to do that on what we call a 3 rated trail. Is way out of normal, much more to this than you are telling. I have had my Jk through 4.5 the damage was every where else but the RR skide. If you got a rock there that big and fell on it hard enough to do that how did it get past the rear axle and any thing else with ripping the heck out of everything else.? You running the hammers?
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

This isnt the first case of this there was a guy on jkforum that high centered on a boulder and the same thing happened, there is no reinforcement behind the RR skids its only a sheet of metal.. I have high centered on my stock skids and they have held up better than that.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.