Risk of Front Trackbar Bracket Ripping Off w/ BB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Risk of Front Trackbar Bracket Ripping Off w/ BB

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Risk of Front Trackbar Bracket Ripping Off w/ BB

What is the risk of the front axle side track bar/steering stabilizer mount ripping off while running a BB? Would a 3-4" lift bring the same amount of risk? I've been trying to filter for some responses regarding this topic, but figured that I would just ask.

4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, based on what I read, with a BB of up to 2 inches, no problems really noted. When you go up to a 3 or 4 inch lift, then you are into adjustable track bar or brackets to correctly center the axle. The brackets put additional leverage on the factory
bracket and have been known to break the factory weld. The solution seems to install bracket gussets to reinforce the factory mount and also some weld the new adjustment bracket to the factory bracket to ensure stability/strength. Just my 2 cents.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

I personally wouldnt worry about it. I ve been running 4" for quite some time now and had no issues. In extreme offroading it may break, but i wheel mildy and have had no issues. As for recentering the axle with the track bar i would not worry about it Mine is only about an 1/8 off so id need to move it about 1/16 to get it centered...My lift did come with a track bar bracket though that bolted on to raise it slightly.
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The geometry of the front (and rear) would calculate to almost 5/16 in to the driver side in front and 5/16 in to the passanger side in the rear for a total offset of 5/8 in with a 4 inch lift (a crab walk for me). Some may not worry about this, I do...Just my 2 cents. Either proper brackets or adj track bar can correct this.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you have your SS still positioned in the stock location, you risk tearing the actual shock off just because it's poorly located to begin with, lift or not. I have no idea why Jeep thinks hanging that thing off the bottom of the tie rod is a good idea. I tore mine off on a wheeling trip after I bought my Jeep and it was still stock.

However, like RockyClymer said, the trackbar mount on both axles have always been weak and getting a lift and/or generic relocation mount only shortens the amount of time until the inevitable. Luckily, it's easy to weld it back on and you can always add more metal either before or after it happens to strengthen it up. Just don't take it to the dealership because they'll want to sell you an entirely new axle. A decent welding shop should be able to take care of both in roughly an hour.

Likewise, with the SS, if you do manage to relocate and/or replace it, you don't need to spend crazy money on an aftermarket one. The stock SS is more than adequate.
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

The factory track bar bracket is pretty fragile. I check it for cracks whenever I change the oil, just in case.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any new opinions on this?
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
TRAUMAhead
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rare occurrence, I've only read 1 or 2 stories of the bracket being ripped off. I had mine replaced because the track bar holes were wallowed out.

TRAUMAhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

My bracket ripped off after 2 years and very mild off-roading. Was going about 65 on the highway when it happened. Of course traffic was bad. I sure had to change my drawers after that. Worst experience in the world couldn't use the breaks had to coast it to a stop.
image.jpg  
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've seen instances where the frame side bracket ripped off too.
The factory track bar is soft and weak, so are the bushings. A more solid aftermarket track bar will put more stress on those mounts, and they should be reinforced.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
The geometry of the front (and rear) would calculate to almost 5/16 in to the driver side in front and 5/16 in to the passanger side in the rear for a total offset of 5/8 in with a 4 inch lift (a crab walk for me). Some may not worry about this, I do...Just my 2 cents. Either proper brackets or adj track bar can correct this.
Is that all the axles really move at 4" of lift? Thats very minimal

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
Any new opinions on this?
Unless Jeep changes the design of the bracket on the axle in any future application of the JK, no. It'll always be a weak POS and should be taken care of via a quality aftermarket product if you plan on lifting. Same with the SS (the SS itself is fine, but its position is not).
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
Rare occurrence, I've only read 1 or 2 stories of the bracket being ripped off. I had mine replaced because the track bar holes were wallowed out.

Is that the Artec bracket?
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
TRAUMAhead
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yep.
TRAUMAhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV's solution.
image-3390585236.jpg

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.