Ripp Superchargers Thread only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Superchargers Thread only

99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights

Unread 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ripp Superchargers Thread only

I would like to start a thread that is only for Ripp SC users. Not interested in other mfgrs or a discussion of what is best, etc. This is a thread for those that have installed the Ripp, who use it, and want to discuss the ups, downs, and tweaks that we have be able to use. This is patterned after the Sprintex thread, so if you don't want one, use one, please post elsewhere.

To start off. I installed my Ripp Gen II in April prior to going to EJS. It ran great up and down the hills from Denver area to Moab. In fact, I averaged over 18 mpg which surprised the hell out of me. The install took me 12 hours, I am thorough, spread over three days.

I was not totally satisfied with the Ripp tune and found a custom programer to tweak my tune for my vehicle. So far, they have provided me with two progressively better tunes. If you are interested in who, PM me.

I am very interested in the stories of others and their experiences. My next post will include some pics of my install....

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
ChuckMRN
2011 JK Wrangler 

I will be following this one for sure. Got a little over 200 miles on mine now with my first day of crawling yesterday. Install was easy for me stretched out over 2 weekends. The hard part (for me) was the tranny & power steering cooler relocation, and for some reason felt I needed to fab up an air box. Mine is an auto so trying to get used to the shift points. It has settled down quite a bit since the first day, but can't wait until I can adjust them. Def interested in custom tune stuff eventually.
ChuckMRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

Had my SC installed in January and we are still getting to know each other. I have a 6 speed and it took me awhile to figure the shift points but much better now. Installing a boost gauge has helped me drive more efficiently and upped my gas mileage. My biggest issue is the surge I have when using cruise control. My installer is friends with Ross and has been talking to him about it. I am hoping to see Ross at Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach this week and hopefully he can help me with the programming to get a better fit. If Ross isnt able to look at it I will be asking you some questions about the custom programmer.
look forward to following this thread
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed!

Great idea starting this thread! I look forward to sharing information about RIPP SC's.

Yeah, the cruise control surge is a bit annoying, especially on hills. I just keep a steady foot on the throttle when doing hills instead of the cruise control.

I have had my RIPP SC since Sept of 2011. Hard to say this, but, I think it was the best money spent so far on my Jeep. I used to steer clear of the interstate because I was afraid of getting rear-ended. Now I lead the pack thanks to RIPP.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails
Subscribed!

Great idea starting this thread! I look forward to sharing information about RIPP SC's.

Yeah, the cruise control surge is a bit annoying, especially on hills. I just keep a steady foot on the throttle when doing hills instead of the cruise control.

I have had my RIPP SC since Sept of 2011. Hard to say this, but, I think it was the best money spent so far on my Jeep. I used to steer clear of the interstate because I was afraid of getting rear-ended. Now I lead the pack thanks to RIPP.
I agree I have had my Ripp sc for about 4500 miles and with cruise on surge is noticeable. If you just give it some throttle in the hills all is good. That is a side effect of supercharged cruise control.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am curious if anyone has used the air filter sock and if so, thoughts? I am also curious if anyone running the RIPP headers and what thoughts of that are?
thanks
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Of course my tuner will not divulge his "trade secrets" regarding the surge issue, it seems to have something to do with both the relationship of the speed sensor and the throttle position servomotor and the timing...I just got a second tune from him
and will check it out later this week (just got another snow storm yesterday, so staying inside). Will post here on results. I do not mind posting his info here because Ripp, while being responsive to the SC itself, has said they put the kit together for
others to use and tinker with as they choose, so guess the mean talking to custom tuners who know the CMR language the Diablo runs. I am in touch with Jon Schaefer at RPMExtrem.com and am in he process of checking out his second tune for me. The first custom tune greatly reduced the surge issue when in Cruise Control running a manual tranny. His second tune is going to try and get it even better. I do wish the Ripp folks would consider a new release considering the number of users who have brought up the surge issue when using cruise control.

Another point I have learned is that the Vortech V3 in SCi trim is noisy at idle. This is primarily due to gear lash when not under load and can sound a little rattly...not to worry, it is normal and will go away with any increase in rpm.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not running the Ripp headers, but I do use their filter sock. There are also several other brands of filter moisture guards that do the same thing. My only issue is that you have to run the recirculation tube back under the sock which leaves a small gap where it exists the sock. It does seem to collect additional dust and the polyester composition would make it moisture "resistant" not waterproof. I am looking at a plastic filter or metal guard to avoid splashing water up on the filter....what I need is just the plastic guard from a CAI, not the whole CAI unit. Still looking
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
Not running the Ripp headers, but I do use their filter sock. There are also several other brands of filter moisture guards that do the same thing. My only issue is that you have to run the recirculation tube back under the sock which leaves a small gap where it exists the sock. It does seem to collect additional dust and the polyester composition would make it moisture "resistant" not waterproof. I am looking at a plastic filter or metal guard to avoid splashing water up on the filter....what I need is just the plastic guard from a CAI, not the whole CAI unit. Still looking
If you come up with a good splash guard let us know. I am currently working on some ideas myself.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

We installed our "Tactical Package" SC in August 2012 on our '11 JK. We wrote up the fairly uneventful install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...stall-1407525/

I can repeat the info here or leave it as a link. I say fairly uneventful because the instructions were exhaustive and the only confusion was related to the ECU that had to be replaced on the 2011.

There was one minor alteration when mounting the intercooler; had to elongate the top bracket holes for a proper fit and fabbed a bracket to hold the intercooler a little more securely on the bottom.
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman44 View Post
I am curious if anyone has used the air filter sock and if so, thoughts? I am also curious if anyone running the RIPP headers and what thoughts of that are?
thanks
Installed the MBRP Off Road Stainless Cat Back Exhaust, Flow Master Hush Power Resonator, and RIPP SS Long Tube Headers w/ Cats. Had this a full year before installing the SC .... love it!

Added the filter sock and just cut a small hole for the tube.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Tnx for the link. I like your bottom bracket as there is none in the kit. My top brackets hold it pretty tight, but I am going to copy your idea and add this bracket. The only install problem I had was the passenger side rear spark plug...what a mess.
The only thing I found that even comes close to a splash guard is the following:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9730/10002/-1?parentProductId=2342710
They sell a long and short one...
any thoughts? I cannot get any of the CAI companies to sell just the plastic box part...that would be ideal IMO.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
ChuckMRN
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
If you come up with a good splash guard let us know. I am currently working on some ideas myself.
I made this out of 1/4" reinforced rubber and a 22" piece of 1" aluminum angle stock. It is open a little on the bottom, the front and on the top on the front and outside. Replaced the filter with a larger one. Didn't like the filter it came with due to the front metal collar that contained the rubber sealing lip turned and allowed dirt inside on my first and only trip. This one is solid rubber. The RIPP moves an awful lot with the engine so the box is not attached to anything other than the SC intake, it can move with the SC. It doesn't weigh much but will have to keep an eye on it to make sure the filter and SC intake stay attached. Always a work in progress for me..
Suggestions always welcome, Thanks

ChuckMRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

will definitely be visiting this thread quite often as i would love to eventually purchase one for my 2012. i also heard about a serpentine belt issue, wondering if anyone here could shed some light on that please! always loved ripps products from my readings. also i think an intake box would be a great thing for ripp to add. don't think it would be too hard to fab one up but if they made one specifically for the sc seems like it would help out a lot.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
will definitely be visiting this thread quite often as i would love to eventually purchase one for my 2012. i also heard about a serpentine belt issue, wondering if anyone here could shed some light on that please! always loved ripps products from my readings. also i think an intake box would be a great thing for ripp to add. don't think it would be too hard to fab one up but if they made one specifically for the sc seems like it would help out a lot.
Haven't chewed one up yet but the one that shipped with the SC squeaked and squealed when it was cold. It worked fine but the obnoxious noise reduced the coolness factor.
A replacement from Auto Zone (and a spare for the tool bag) and all is well. Now all you hear is that distinctive whistle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.