Ripp Superchargers - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Superchargers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #61
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Run that 3.8 at 2600 RPM in top gear instead of having it downshift constantly and you will find you have a much more road capable vehicle.
Did you watch the video? I was cruising at 4000 RPM at 55 and still having trouble. Not only will the FI fix the problem, A FI engine is just a pleasure to drive. I should be able to take that mountain pass in 5th gear and not worry about chaining gears. And, if I'm towing it will do the same thing even if I have four passengers, a full cargo area, and two bikes on top.

I'm going to make an assumption here and say that everyone who advocates regearing vs FI probably doesn't drive on I-70 outside of Denver. It's a different ball game.

Good input though.

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #62
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
I am really looking forward to the after as the before is less then impressive, but in all honesty loveland pass is a mother (try it in a 78,000lb semi)
I can't imagine. I watch those trucks go up every time I do and think...geez that must be rough. I use to drive rigs in the AF. I feel your pain!
Unread 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #63
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
Regear helps but even Im having problems and have 5.13s with a manual tranny. In 6th Im doing ~3100rpm at 65mph, basically have almost no overdrive its geared so low. Its OK without the AC on however its nothing like how a SUV SHOULD drive... Another 50hp at the wheels would be SOOOO much more enjoyable.
That's an interesting point you have there. The Jeep is just BARELY not putting out enough power. It feels like if it had just a bit more power it wouldn't be such a choir to drive.
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #64
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Original thread opened and merged
Thanks RIPPMODS

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #65
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Did you watch the video? I was cruising at 4000 RPM at 55 and still having trouble. Not only will the FI fix the problem, A FI engine is just a pleasure to drive. I should be able to take that mountain pass in 5th gear and not worry about chaining gears. And, if I'm towing it will do the same thing even if I have four passengers, a full cargo area, and two bikes on top.

I'm going to make an assumption here and say that everyone who advocates regearing vs FI probably doesn't drive on I-70 outside of Denver. It's a different ball game.

Good input though.
I'm with you. Going up Floyd hill should be interesting in my new JK. My TJ struggled more than enough. The density altitude kills any power. FI is the most practical way of fixing that.
smooth9883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Good input though.
Yea I-70 gets pretty hill, or should I say mountainous outside of Denver.

I mean even in my stock ZJ I had to downshift to maintain speed at high RPMs around Fort Leonard Wood. It was constantly shifting down, then up, then down. I bet it will be even worse now with my bigger tires and 3.55s rofl.
RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #67
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Big hill climbs really make me miss having a diesel. My Duramax would tackle damn near anything without ever having to down shift.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #68
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmaster View Post
Today the body shop called me and said they had there service center put it on a lift and used a stethescope to find that there is chatter coming from the catalytic converters and that they saying it is bad/plugged up cats from too much fuel being dumped by the supercharger.
So, I took my JK to The Dyno Shop out in Santee, CA and they confirmed that the cats have failed and are clogging the exhaust system. After price checking OEM replacments and labor costs, I have decided to give the new RIPP Headers with the aftermarket cats - bolt on kit. Hopefully there is no other issue with the Jeep oher than the plugged cats.

After the header install, I'm going to let The Dyno Shop run a full dyno diagnostics, and, if the Jeep checks out, I'm going to have them check the tune of the black-box.

Ross at RIPPMODS has been very helpful at addressing this issue, and when all is said and done, I calculated a net add of 150 whp coming from the SDS, the new Headers, and the MBRP cat-back exhaust, the former and latter I already have installed. That added to the stock 133 whp would yield a whopping 280 to 283 whp and a bunch more torque too!

I'll post the dyno numbers once I get them.
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #69
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Come on 9 November. I feel like Christmas is coming...I mean, other than I know what's in the box and I paid for it. But, you get the idea.

Unread 11-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #70
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=cbloyer81;10372464]Come on 9 November. I feel like Christmas is coming...I mean, other than I know what's in the box and I paid for it. But, you get the idea. QUOTE]

Congrats on your new addition, I'm sure you'll find it as rewarding as I have. Are you doing the install yourself? I did mine and documented it on the blog listed in my signature. The GEN1 was quite a bit more work than what the GEN2 looks like since you don't have to relocate the battery to the front. Send us pics of your SDS once you get it and start the mod...
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #71
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

[quote=TDmaster;10381433]
Quote:
Come on 9 November. I feel like Christmas is coming...I mean, other than I know what's in the box and I paid for it. But, you get the idea. QUOTE]

Congrats on your new addition, I'm sure you'll find it as rewarding as I have. Are you doing the install yourself? I did mine and documented it on the blog listed in my signature. The GEN1 was quite a bit more work than what the GEN2 looks like since you don't have to relocate the battery to the front. Send us pics of your SDS once you get it and start the mod...
I'm going to put it in myself. I'm going to video tape the entire install and speed it up to fit in a 10 minute video. I'll probably slow it down during key parts. We'll see. I may get so excited when it gets here and forget about the entire video.

The GEN II kit does look easier to install. I'm pretty excited about that aspect too! Great blog!
Unread 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #72
JB7JEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hey again Cbloyer, I have a question for you. Well, first thanks for posting all the YouTube vids of your rig with the Ripp set up. You totally got me interested in them when I was pretty set on a Hemi before. Anyway, my question is about the picture you posted on 10/31. What is the story with the yellow intercooler hoses? Were they replaced or painted or? They look pretty cool!
My other question for you or Ripp or any other member is: has anyone run the stage 2 SC with the Ripp headers? It seems like a great combo for all around power gains. What I'm wondering is can the stock JK Rubi clutch, trans (6 speed), driveline etc handle the additional power without breakage/wear issues? I would be running 35's on it as well. I'm planning my winter build of my now stock 2010 Rubi Unl. Thanks everyone for the input..
JB7JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #73
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the headers but the picture was from RIPPs website. They just painted them I believe. The clutch will handle power because it needs to handle the power from 4-low. I haven't heard of any trans problems.

On a side note, I let two guys drive my rig today. One of them has driven the Avenger kit. He's buying the RIPP. He was amazed how smoothly the power was delivered. The other fellow is sold now too. He couldn't believe how factory it was. You won't be disappointed.
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #74
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I find it funny every time a Supercharger thread gets posted and someone pipes in "screw that, go with a hemi swap". It's really pretty simple. If you have $4-5k to spend and want some extra umph then go with Ripp. If you have $10k more than that to blow then by all means go with a hemi swap. The reality is that the majority of us are in the first catagory and with that being said, kudos to Ripp for supplying us with a great power option. Just my .02.
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #75
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
I find it funny every time a Supercharger thread gets posted and someone pipes in "screw that, go with a hemi swap". It's really pretty simple. If you have $4-5k to spend and want some extra umph then go with Ripp. If you have $10k more than that to blow then by all means go with a hemi swap. The reality is that the majority of us are in the first catagory and with that being said, kudos to Ripp for supplying us with a great power option. Just my .02.
Based on how many V8's I keep up with (not get dropped at all, KEEP UP WITH) and sometimes beat (Hummer H3 V8) it almost makes the HEMI swap look like a ridiculous option especially considering the vast cost difference. I'm not saying I could spank a HEMI Jeep, but I don't think I get punked either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.