Ripp Superchargers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Superchargers

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #46
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Not trying to gang up on you TD but I agree with Washi. My version of wheeling is almost always below 2000 rpm. Blasting through a mudpuddle at 40 mph is not my idea of wheeling.
So, I agree that I wouldn't be traveling that fast in 4lo and 1st gear, but it is real easy to throttle up past 3k rpms. I watched the tach as I ramp up over a downed tree or group of boulders. Granted I don't do the extreme rock crawling gigs, but I have been in the back-bush and needed to gear lo and slow. With my weak 3.73s and 32 inch tires, I need to give a bit more throttle than you guys with your 5.18s and 35 inchers.

I also agree that I probably do not see 4k (all that much), thats really reving it, but I do see 2.5 to 3k quite often, and I ain't making 40 mph in 4lo even if I gear up to 2nd (mines an automatic to boot).

Maybe I need more lessons on staying off the throttle more, but you can feel the power from the SDS and I move over obstacles with very little effort for the most part, therefore I can only attribute that to the supercharger.

TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #47
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I keep hearing how much heavier the hemi is in this thread, mostly by RIPP, but what is the actual number? I think a 4.0L out of a TJ is only 47 pounds lighter than a 5.7 Hemi. I don't know how it compares to the 3.8.

Reading the whole thread, my point is made by people that took the opposite position than I did, which is, the supercharger doesn't do much of anything at low rpm's for the 3.8L and that stock the 3.8L is a gutless wonder at low rpm's. In other words, the supercharger fails to make a difference in the rpm range where the greatest improvement is needed.

As for as the outrageous costs of a hemi, that is from boutique shops like AEV and Burnsville Offroad. You can find a very low mileage hemi in a good condition from a wreck either at a salvage yard or ebay and if you are mechanically inclined, can put it in yourself. The total price will be approximately $7,000, compared to over $20,000 at a boutique shop. Don't believe me that the prices are inflated? Look at the outrageous price that was thrown out there for replacing a head gasket on the 3.8L of $3,000. Even paying a private mechanic shop, the price should be more than a few hundred, and once again, can be done for much less than that.

I would venture to say that the difference in weight between a 5.7L hemi and a 3.8L is less than seventy five pounds if the aforementioned 47 pound weight difference of the 4.0L is true. That difference in weight will mean absolutely nothing to the person that wants to wheel or tow better with his Jeep and will only come into play if you are racing. Racing Jeeps, now that is funny. If the weight difference was a thousand pounds, then it might be a factor, but for less than the weight of a person, it isn't going to matter when wheeling or towing.

RIPP and his supporters mention that the hemi makes power differently but will even out or fall behind on the top end and talks about efficiency of the 3.8 and non-efficiency of the hemi. Well yes, I am in agreement the hemi makes power differently, which is exactly the complaint of the 3.8L is, is that the way it makes power is not normal for a slow moving offroad vehicle.

If no low end torque and peak horsepower coming in at high rpm's were acceptable or even desirable, then we would all have engines from crotch rocket motorcycles in our Jeeps. Hey, they make a lot of power with a small amount of displacement, are very efficient, and spin ten to fifteen thousand rpm's. Let's not forget how light the engine is too.

If horsepower and torque did not matter in a Jeep and gears were the be all end all, then a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton would be sufficient right?

I think RIPP MOD's supercharger does what it was designed to do very well, but it reminds of an answer to a question that was not asked. It could be marketed better by avoiding outrageous statements and comparisons to a hemi and by advertising more of what it really does instead of trying to give misleading information about things it falls short on. I guess what I am saying, it would be credible to advertise it by saying "The 3.8L sucks at low rpm's and there isn't anything that can be done about it, but what we can do is build on it's strengths at the mid to upper rpm range in a cost efficient do it yourself friendly package."
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #48
RIPPMODS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I keep hearing how much heavier the hemi is in this thread, mostly by RIPP, but what is the actual number? I think a 4.0L out of a TJ is only 47 pounds lighter than a 5.7 Hemi. I don't know how it compares to the 3.8.

Reading the whole thread, my point is made by people that took the opposite position than I did, which is, the supercharger doesn't do much of anything at low rpm's for the 3.8L and that stock the 3.8L is a gutless wonder at low rpm's. In other words, the supercharger fails to make a difference in the rpm range where the greatest improvement is needed.

As for as the outrageous costs of a hemi, that is from boutique shops like AEV and Burnsville Offroad. You can find a very low mileage hemi in a good condition from a wreck either at a salvage yard or ebay and if you are mechanically inclined, can put it in yourself. The total price will be approximately $7,000, compared to over $20,000 at a boutique shop. Don't believe me that the prices are inflated? Look at the outrageous price that was thrown out there for replacing a head gasket on the 3.8L of $3,000. Even paying a private mechanic shop, the price should be more than a few hundred, and once again, can be done for much less than that.

I would venture to say that the difference in weight between a 5.7L hemi and a 3.8L is less than seventy five pounds if the aforementioned 47 pound weight difference of the 4.0L is true. That difference in weight will mean absolutely nothing to the person that wants to wheel or tow better with his Jeep and will only come into play if you are racing. Racing Jeeps, now that is funny. If the weight difference was a thousand pounds, then it might be a factor, but for less than the weight of a person, it isn't going to matter when wheeling or towing.

RIPP and his supporters mention that the hemi makes power differently but will even out or fall behind on the top end and talks about efficiency of the 3.8 and non-efficiency of the hemi. Well yes, I am in agreement the hemi makes power differently, which is exactly the complaint of the 3.8L is, is that the way it makes power is not normal for a slow moving offroad vehicle.

If no low end torque and peak horsepower coming in at high rpm's were acceptable or even desirable, then we would all have engines from crotch rocket motorcycles in our Jeeps. Hey, they make a lot of power with a small amount of displacement, are very efficient, and spin ten to fifteen thousand rpm's. Let's not forget how light the engine is too.

If horsepower and torque did not matter in a Jeep and gears were the be all end all, then a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton would be sufficient right?

I think RIPP MOD's supercharger does what it was designed to do very well, but it reminds of an answer to a question that was not asked. It could be marketed better by avoiding outrageous statements and comparisons to a hemi and by advertising more of what it really does instead of trying to give misleading information about things it falls short on. I guess what I am saying, it would be credible to advertise it by saying "The 3.8L sucks at low rpm's and there isn't anything that can be done about it, but what we can do is build on it's strengths at the mid to upper rpm range in a cost efficient do it yourself friendly package."

This post is old - nearly a year has gone by and we have made a lot more progress -

Read this graph properly - thats over 200ft/lbs of trq at 2000-/+ RPM through and Automatic on 37's -

YouTube - JK RIPP Supercharged 37's AUTO 288lbs/ft Torque 2500rpm.MOV

The 3.8 does not suck - its well built engine that does a great job -

A few things to keep in mind -
  • The supercharger goes in and comes out in give or take 5 hours so if you need to put it in - it goes in fast - and - if you have to take it out, well it comes out.
  • If you should have an accident with a V8 powered JK - your insurance can drop you right there on the spot - consider if you hurt someone or damage expensive property - We know this because we've had clients position this out having had to fight for their rights -
  • The gas mileage we promise does happen you get 2-4 more MPG, this is a dream with a V8 -

You bring up a fair opinion - Our opinion and position is - if you want, can afford and are heart set on a HEMI because you like it - good for you and more power to you (70lbs/ft to be exact) - But don't **** on the V6 - we've pumped 12psi through it and its a tough little steam boat... its proving to be a stout little package and as we launch more power adders to it, its only going to get better.

RIPPTECH
2005-2011 Wrangler Supercharger Kits
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #49
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

RIPP Superchargers

Since the other thread got closed for whatever reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
The supercharger doesn't do much of anything at low rpm's for the 3.8L and that stock the 3.8L is a gutless wonder at low rpm's. In other words, the supercharger fails to make a difference in the rpm range where the greatest improvement is needed.
Thank you for posting this. I've got a question for people with this point of view. Where do you wheel and at what speed? Where I wheel its all done in 4lo. I don't need one more ounce of power on the trail. Now, getting to the trail is another issue. I've got to drive through mountain passes at high altitudes and steep inclines. I'm not talking east coast high, I'm talking Rocky Mountain high...12,000 ft. I can't even imagine towing anything in these situations. Here is a video. Watch my RPM's. I can't wait to drive with my new power. Oh, I also think the kit will do more than enough off road but that's not why I bought it.

The further into the video, the higher I get and the less power I have.
YouTube - Pre RIPP
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #50
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

Those highways look familiar... I need to come back to Colorado for vacation sometime and bring the jeep. Hope the RIPP helps you out, I think if it were me I would have regeared first... but that's just me. I look forward to another video once it's installed.
RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #51
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRock527 View Post
Those highways look familiar... I need to come back to Colorado for vacation sometime and bring the jeep. Hope the RIPP helps you out, I think if it were me I would have regeared first... but that's just me. I look forward to another video once it's installed.
You do need to get to Colorado!

I expected a lot of discussion about regearing. I figured the $1,000 I saved on regearing could go to the supercharger. I take lot of long road trips and there is no reason for me to run any higher of an RPM down the highway...esp with the supercharger. Having said that, I still expect discussion on gearing :-)
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #52
RIPPMODS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Since the other thread got closed for whatever reason:

Thank you for posting this. I've got a question for people with this point of view. Where do you wheel and at what speed? Where I wheel its all done in 4lo. I don't need one more ounce of power on the trail. Now, getting to the trail is another issue. I've got to drive through mountain passes at high altitudes and steep inclines. I'm not talking east coast high, I'm talking Rocky Mountain high...12,000 ft. Here is a video. Watch my RPM's. I can't wait to drive with my new power. Oh, I also think the kit will do more than enough off road but that's not why I bought it.

The further into the video, the higher I get and the less power I have.
Thank you for posting - get info -

We've been flagged for having to renew our Vendors status - we look forward to continuing conversation as soon as we renew.

TECH
2005-2011 Wrangler Supercharger Kits
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #53
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

That explains the lock on the other thread. Maybe my $20 forum support fee can keep the discussion going. Afterall, RIPP isn't the only one interested in this info.
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #54
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

I also like this kit. I have used Vortech's on previously owned Mustang Cobra's. This was a small DOHC very high RPM motor so the centrifugal blower worked great for my app though I did have issues with spark at high RPM.

Anyway, could you PM me with an e-mail address or number of the correct person for me to speak to at RIPP (pertaining to JK). I'd like to know more about exactly what the kit and exhaust kit includes and what the installation instructions look like. I do have access to a lift but it is inconvenient can long tubes be installed on the ground or ramps?

I'm putting 4.88's and lockers (this week)in my 2 door and I currently have 35's. I was considering a Superchips flash once I have my gears, if I understood correctly the RIPP design includes a Flash?

I'd like to start with the headers and exhaust. I am partial to Borla (also because of the Cobra) but in the comments on the you tube header video I noticed you had some issues with the Borla cat back? I have not found the costs of the headers/cats on your site either? Does the cat back make a difference in the torque numbers? 50ft/lbs seems incredible for just exhaust... Any experience with the different noise levels with the different muffler brands.

I also generally don't need more power on the trail but like more power around town. Wheeling here is often hill climbs and trails not so much rock climbs.

Thanks
Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #55
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximous View Post
I also like this kit. I have used Vortech's on previously owned Mustang Cobra's. This was a small DOHC very high RPM motor so the centrifugal blower worked great for my app though I did have issues with spark at high RPM.

Anyway, could you PM me with an e-mail address or number of the correct person for me to speak to at RIPP (pertaining to JK). I'd like to know more about exactly what the kit and exhaust kit includes and what the installation instructions look like. I do have access to a lift but it is inconvenient can long tubes be installed on the ground or ramps?

I'm putting 4.88's and lockers (this week)in my 2 door and I currently have 35's. I was considering a Superchips flash once I have my gears, if I understood correctly the RIPP design includes a Flash?

I'd like to start with the headers and exhaust. I am partial to Borla (also because of the Cobra) but in the comments on the you tube header video I noticed you had some issues with the Borla cat back? I have not found the costs of the headers/cats on your site either? Does the cat back make a difference in the torque numbers? 50ft/lbs seems incredible for just exhaust... Any experience with the different noise levels with the different muffler brands.

I also generally don't need more power on the trail but like more power around town. Wheeling here is often hill climbs and trails not so much rock climbs.

Thanks
PM sent

If you can afford the RIPP headers RIPP Superchargers one stop performance shop! they are getting more gains than anyone. And the MBRP kit they sell, what I have, sounds great and keeps the exhaust and the exhaust tip from getting smashed. It's CAT back. 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited OFF ROAD Stainless Cat Back Exhaust
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #56
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

cbloyer81, Be sure to post up on your thoughts of the SC after its installed. Im looking forward to hear from users about this Gen 2 unit! I think it would help me quite a bit in the sand dunes do to the much higher RPMs needed, than other offroading. I loved having boost when I had the WRX and really miss the extra power that I had when climbing hills at higher elevations.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #57
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
cbloyer81, Be sure to post up on your thoughts of the SC after its installed. Im looking forward to hear from users about this Gen 2 unit! I think it would help me quite a bit in the sand dunes do to the much higher RPMs needed, than other offroading. I loved having boost when I had the WRX and really miss the extra power that I had when climbing hills at higher elevations.
You bet. The kit will be here the week of Nov. 8. I had a 1.8t Jetta before the Jeep. I'm hoping to get back some of that forced induction driveability back too!
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #58
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know this is counterintuitive and you probably won't believe me, but your power and you fuel economy would go up quite a bit with a regear.

Run that 3.8 at 2600 RPM in top gear instead of having it downshift constantly and you will find you have a much more road capable vehicle.

I'm sure the supercharger will help, but I think you just spent about three times the money you needed to to address this issue.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #59
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
I know this is counterintuitive and you probably won't believe me, but your power and you fuel economy would go up quite a bit with a regear.

Run that 3.8 at 2600 RPM in top gear instead of having it downshift constantly and you will find you have a much more road capable vehicle.

I'm sure the supercharger will help, but I think you just spent about three times the money you needed to to address this issue.
Regear helps but even Im having problems and have 5.13s with a manual tranny. In 6th Im doing ~3100rpm at 65mph, basically have almost no overdrive its geared so low. Its OK without the AC on however its nothing like how a SUV SHOULD drive... Another 50hp at the wheels would be SOOOO much more enjoyable.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #60
LarryGrant
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am really looking forward to the after as the before is less then impressive, but in all honesty loveland pass is a mother (try it in a 78,000lb semi)
LarryGrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.