Ripp Superchargers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Superchargers

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

The Hemi is going to have more torque in the beginning but you just can't beat the efficiency of forced induction. When that big V8 is idling it's sucking way more gas that the V6. The power gain of the Hemi over the RIPP just isn't worth it unless you have PLENTY of money. I don't.

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #32
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I'm calling b.s. on the hemi vs. 3.8 (RIPP s.c.) comparison. Most of the arguments for RIPP ate legit, but that is b.s.
Little tires + 5.7l with all the bolt-on's 317rwhp
YouTube - my 5.7 hemi charger on a dyno

5.7 hemi, Pacesetter long-tube headers, cold air intake,
throttle body spacer,. Running just headers, and cats.
Getting it's custom dyno tune. 289.89whp,315.37wtq
YouTube - 04 hemi ram dyno run
2005-2011 Wrangler Supercharger Kits
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #33
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
...even after blowing a head gasket and shelling out 3k...
I am just now experiencing an engine problem not of my own doing. It seems I have a "dead hole" as one tech said. I believe I need to have a complete compression test or leak down test to determine if and what mechanically has gone wrong. It could be a broken value spring, a head gasket leak between adjacent cylinders, or soemthing even worse. All I know is that the local Jeep/Dodge dealership won't touch the jeep with the Supercharger installed. The lifetime powertrain warranty is voided and they won't even put an analysizer on the engine - they won't touch it unless I re-install all the factory parts.

How hard is a six-cylinder compression test? I have the Jeep Service manual but it talks about specialized tools for the job and I just want to know if it is valve springs, head gasket, or something else. What if I have a bent valve? Can there be a ringland problem or a burnt cyclinder?

I guess I can take it to an independant shop and pay the price - I just don't want to get 'lit-up' and taken for a money tree ride??

So, how much real work is it do replace a headgasket on my '09? I understand the the multi-layer steel gasket requires a perfectly smooth, scratch free surface to seal properly. Does the head have to be resurfaced?
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #34
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmaster View Post
I am just now experiencing an engine problem not of my own doing. It seems I have a "dead hole" as one tech said. I believe I need to have a complete compression test or leak down test to determine if and what mechanically has gone wrong. It could be a broken value spring, a head gasket leak between adjacent cylinders, or soemthing even worse. All I know is that the local Jeep/Dodge dealership won't touch the jeep with the Supercharger installed. The lifetime powertrain warranty is voided and they won't even put an analysizer on the engine - they won't touch it unless I re-install all the factory parts.

How hard is a six-cylinder compression test? I have the Jeep Service manual but it talks about specialized tools for the job and I just want to know if it is valve springs, head gasket, or something else. What if I have a bent valve? Can there be a ringland problem or a burnt cyclinder?

I guess I can take it to an independant shop and pay the price - I just don't want to get 'lit-up' and taken for a money tree ride??

So, how much real work is it do replace a headgasket on my '09? I understand the the multi-layer steel gasket requires a perfectly smooth, scratch free surface to seal properly. Does the head have to be resurfaced?
  • What does a dead hole mean?
  • What leads you to believe the engine is blown?
  • Did it over heat or have any indication there was a problem before you went to the dealer.. If your head gasket is blown you would have signs, either smoke from the tail pipe or over-heating...
  • We know some 08's had head gasket issues of their own - there were a few threads started by people with stock JK's and head gasket issues - the dealer didn't do anything for them either.
  • We have some of our dealers who have pointed out this issue NA as well

Compression test should take about 45min with removal of the supercharger - the task is to get to the spark plugs, screw in a gauge and have someone crank it and write down the pressures. We haven't seen any blown pistons...

Leak down time is about the same

If you have a GEN1 kit, at idle and with the belt off the JK is stock there are no corrections being made... essentially removing the belt and the blower from the cradle returns it to stock with the exception of the battery placement.

RIPPTECH
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #35
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Why did you take a Jeep with a lifetime power train warranty to the dealership with the supercharger installed? Call another dealer in the area and see if your warranty is valid there or if the dealer you took it to updated system to show the invalidated warranty. IF THE SECOND DEALER YOU CALL SAYS THE WARRANTY IS GOOD, TAKE OFF THE SUPERCHARGER AND LET THEM TROUBLESHOOT IT.
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #36
Mikeg175
2007 JK Wrangler 

How does the supercharger fare when towing ? Will it help ? I am assuming it would . But would like to know if anyone has towed ( Im talking about a pop-up or something ) . Thanks ..
Mikeg175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #37
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg175 View Post
How does the supercharger fare when towing ? Will it help ? I am assuming it would . But would like to know if anyone has towed ( Im talking about a pop-up or something ) . Thanks ..
It's going to make a huge difference. Think Tractor Trailer. They are never naturally aspirated. Forced induction really helps torque at lower RPM's. Just my .02.
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #38
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
  • What does a dead hole mean?
  • What leads you to believe the engine is blown?
  • Did it over heat or have any indication there was a problem before you went to the dealer.. If your head gasket is blown you would have signs, either smoke from the tail pipe or over-heating...
  • We know some 08's had head gasket issues of their own - there were a few threads started by people with stock JK's and head gasket issues - the dealer didn't do anything for them either.
  • We have some of our dealers who have pointed out this issue NA as well
Compression test should take about 45min with removal of the supercharger - the task is to get to the spark plugs, screw in a gauge and have someone crank it and write down the pressures. We haven't seen any blown pistons...

Leak down time is about the same

If you have a GEN1 kit, at idle and with the belt off the JK is stock there are no corrections being made... essentially removing the belt and the blower from the cradle returns it to stock with the exception of the battery placement.

RIPPTECH
Yes, I have the GEN1 kit and the original air intake, but it is 500 miles away in San Jose as is all the other stock parts. They (the dealership) even made noise about the non-stock spark-plug wires.

I think in the techs vernacular, a "dead hole" is a non-firing cyclinder, so, for example, if an exhaust value spring is broken, all the fuel/air exits before it can be fired. He said it "sounded like a dead hole" meaning he thought it should have a compression leak down test -- but the manager of the service department wouldn't let my jeep in his shop.

So, here is the story in a nutshell. I had an incident while cargoing the jeep from San Jose to San Diego in which the windshield was smashed and the hood damaged. I have insurance and got a repair claim. I took it to Paradise Chevrolet in Temecula which was a "preferred" body shop by the insurance company. The jeep was running fine when I took it in, when I picked it up three weeks later, it woudln't run. The body shop makes no claim of liability and says they can prove with survelance video that the jeep never left their lot.
So, I have no engine codes, no service engine light, and no power. If I try part throttle it makes a clanking sound.

Today the body shop called me and said they had there service center put it on a lift and used a stethescope to find that there is chatter coming from the catalytic converters and that they saying it is bad/plugged up cats from too much fuel being dumped by the supercharger.

I am skeptical of this since I have an AEM air/fuel ratio guage installed and it usally runs in the 14 to 15 range and only rarely will go below 12 if I really, really push it on the freeway. I can't see that plugged cats are the primary problem, it may be secondary to having unburned fuel being dumped by a "dead hole"
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #39
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
[LIST]
.. If your head gasket is blown you would have signs, either smoke from the tail pipe or over-heating...
RIPPTECH
First off, I have an '09, not an '08, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a head gasket problem. Secondly, only if the head gasket is leaking pressure into the water jacket will you see signs like white smoke or overheating. According to the Jeep Manual, you can get leakage between two adjoining cylinders which is why they have the leak down test. A simple compression test can indicate if broken spring, bent valve (not seating) or blowby past the rings (should not be the case with only 16k miles).
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #40
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Why did you take a Jeep with a lifetime power train warranty to the dealership with the supercharger installed? Call another dealer in the area and see if your warranty is valid there or if the dealer you took it to updated system to show the invalidated warranty. IF THE SECOND DEALER YOU CALL SAYS THE WARRANTY IS GOOD, TAKE OFF THE SUPERCHARGER AND LET THEM TROUBLESHOOT IT.
Actually, the Chevy body shop was trying to help me out by taking the jeep across the street to the Jeep/Dodge dealership as a courtesy. I took it back over after the body shop manager talked to the service manager. Since hey never took the jeep "in", no paper work was done. The manager said if they were to bring it in they would have to fully document what the mods are and send to corp. but he refused to take it in, so the option of another dealership is still possible.

The dilemme is all the things I would have to "undo" for them to look at it...
  • Remove the supercharger
  • Re-install some type of battery compartment and retainer
  • Re-Connect original fuel line (remove splice)
  • Replace original PCV value
  • Re-Connect the Evap valve in its proper location (re-order stock tubes)
  • Re-install original air box and air intake tube
  • Re-install stock sparkplugs and ignition wires
  • Re-install original muffler and exhaust pipe
  • Re-install orginal location of EVAC cannister
  • Remove Air/Fuel Oxygen sensor and plug the hole
  • Remove the Black box, the blue box and re-wire ECU to stock
  • Disconnect and Remove Air/Fuel and Boost/Vacuum gauages
Just for the record, I really like having the RIPP supercharger and would not have a second thought about doing it again! I do wish I had waited for the GEN2 kit though.

I figure having the extra whp in difficult off-road terrain more than makes up for the loss of the warranty. I am somewhat of a backyard mechanic and did the RIPP install completely by myself with the occasional call to the tech line for advice. Ross has been a terrific help in understanding how the unit works and is designed to merge with the Jeep's own ECU.

People complain that no hp is realized in the low rpm bands, which I have to smirk at because the design was that way by intent, not to be a steet rod, but an enhanced off-road peformance package. Think about it, if your trying to track a fallen tree or four foot bolders in the mud, dirt and sand, your most likely in four-wheel low and gearing dictates that at low throttle control you will still be in the 3 to 4k rpm band where the supercharger is working for you and making the extra whp that you want and need.

If you want street performance, get a hemi...

Last edited by TDmaster; 10-20-2010 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Error Corrections
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #41
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

People complain that no hp is realized in the low rpm bands, which I have to smirk at because the design was that way by intent, not to be a steet rod, but an enhanced off-road peformance package. Think about it, if your trying to track a fallen tree or four foot bolders in the mud, dirt and sand, your most likely in four-wheel low and gearing dictates that at low throttle control you will still be in the 3 to 4k rpm band where the supercharger is working for you and making the extra whp that you want and need.

Not to try and start an argument, just want to share some of my wheeling experience. I actually am NOT anywhere NEAR 3-4K RPM's pretty much EVER. When I am crawling over an obstacle, I am in 4lo, 1st gear, and pretty much at idle. I only start using throttle input when momentum is lost. When I start to lose that momentum, or forward progress, I stop and pick a different line before digging myself in. Just how I have always done it. Now, this is why I really loved my 4.0 producing 85% of it's torque at idle, it was great! I also don't have any problems with my new Rubi either. I am not lifted, or running bigger tire yet, but when I do, I am going to re-gear which will put me back at stock, which again, I have no problem with right now! Just my opinion...
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #42
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Not to try and start an argument, just want to share some of my wheeling experience. I actually am NOT anywhere NEAR 3-4K RPM's pretty much EVER. When I am crawling over an obstacle, I am in 4lo, 1st gear, and pretty much at idle. I only start using throttle input when momentum is lost. When I start to lose that momentum, or forward progress, I stop and pick a different line before digging myself in. Just how I have always done it. Now, this is why I really loved my 4.0 producing 85% of it's torque at idle, it was great! I also don't have any problems with my new Rubi either. I am not lifted, or running bigger tire yet, but when I do, I am going to re-gear which will put me back at stock, which again, I have no problem with right now! Just my opinion...
Not trying to gang up on you TD but I agree with Washi. My version of wheeling is almost always below 2000 rpm. Blasting through a mudpuddle at 40 mph is not my idea of wheeling.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #43
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Unread 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #44
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure what you guys wheel but here in the land of igloos and polar bears when wheeling 4lo I'm usually going between 2nd and 3rd for most hills and things of that nature. Really technical stuff sure I do in 1st but I still usually have the rpms up a little so I don't have to worry about staling.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #45
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Not trying to gang up on you TD but I agree with Washi. My version of wheeling is almost always below 2000 rpm. Blasting through a mudpuddle at 40 mph is not my idea of wheeling.
3-4k is pretty high off road - if you take for instance rock climbing -

YouTube - RIPP Supercharged Jeep JK Area BFE

The electronics are programmed to slip the torque converter to the engines Volumetric Efficency (VE), in this case 2700-3100. At which point the blower will deliver low boost and you can take advantage of the extra power - If you listen to the video you hear the Blow Off Valve release several times - which mean the engine volumetrically used the boost and the system pressurized...

YouTube - RIPP MODS Supercharger Rock Krawler Supensions Moab Cliff Hanger

To say your at idle all the time is understandable - but when you "need" power the RPM's shoot right to where this engine makes power... 2200-3300.

YouTube - 08 Town and Country with 3.8l V6 NA 162whp 1.MOV

We tested with a 08 Town and Country Mini van to prove the engines actual power - it produced about 165 rear -wheel HP (WHP) verses the JK's 135-/+... proving a 19% drivetrain loss from the manufacturer 202 crank HP.

YouTube - Town Country Highway 80mph.MOV

Then we went further and drove it on the highway to demonstrate the RPM's the minivan operates at to sustain 70-80mph you can clearly see it cruising at 2200rpm and sustaining 24mpg as the incline approaches you can see it downshift and use the 2800-3000rpm range - solidifying our data. The 3.8's VE is 2000-3500 and operates best at 2200 for fuel mileage and 2700-3000 for peak trq and WHP.
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.